PDA

View Full Version : Boxter Style Intake?

Listen2myBASS
09-01-2006, 02:33 PM
i was looking at my air box and how it was positioned one day and wondered, how about a hood scoop and some of my cunning to create a WRX style intake? i don't understand how they can have engiens like that? wouldn't water get in the engine when it rained?

snoopyloopy
09-01-2006, 03:52 PM
i was looking at my air box and how it was positioned one day and wondered, how about a hood scoop and some of my cunning to create a WRX style intake? i don't understand how they can have engiens like that? wouldn't water get in the engine when it rained?
that's not their intake. that's for the intercooler. the wrx uses a top mount intercooler stock.

Listen2myBASS
09-01-2006, 04:37 PM
:huh: dude, i see wrx's with fmic all the time, you can't tell me they have 2? im looking at one right now in import tuner with a fmic and the filter on top...

B16KILLA
09-01-2006, 07:39 PM
:huh: dude, i see wrx's with fmic all the time, you can't tell me they have 2? im looking at one right now in import tuner with a fmic and the filter on top...

well.. like he said they come with top mounts stock, even the STI's. Some companies even have after market top mounts. It really dosent make sense to put a front mount on a WRX unless you up the boost a few lbs, because if you dont you'll lose power. I have a friend who has a wrx with a bit of mods , intake,exhaust,turbo timer, boost controller,a couple other things and a front mount intercooler. After he put the front mount on he lost atleast 30 horsepower. Then he put the stock one back on and it was waayy faster.

Hash_man_Se_i
09-01-2006, 08:55 PM
dude, i see wrx's with fmic all the time, you can't tell me they have 2? im looking at one right now in import tuner with a fmic and the filter on top...

That is a full out race car, I bet that car never sees the street. Most WRX's that have FMIC's dont have intakes like that from what I've seen.

snoopyloopy
09-26-2006, 10:52 AM
import tuner is the last place you should look if you want to see how something looks stock.

stat1K
09-26-2006, 11:56 AM
isn't an intercooler part of the intake? i'm not very keen on turbos but that's just what i thought.

HondaBoy
09-26-2006, 12:03 PM
you mean boxer, as in boxer engine right, because boxter is a porsche model? just making sure. flat engine, not inline or V. but to the point, i dont think it would serve too great a gain. maybe if you do some scoops. i always liked the old style small turbo scoops.

snoopyloopy
09-26-2006, 08:25 PM
isn't an intercooler part of the intake? i'm not very keen on turbos but that's just what i thought.
yes, the intercooler is part of the intake piping. but in the case of the wrx sti or the mini cooper-s (both use a tmic), the hood scoop is not to push air into the intake piping, it's to push air through the intercooler. the air that's inside the intercooler is the compressed air from the turbo. do you understand high school physics and how a turbo works?

shepherd79
09-27-2006, 06:26 AM
well.. like he said they come with top mounts stock, even the STI's. Some companies even have after market top mounts. It really dosent make sense to put a front mount on a WRX unless you up the boost a few lbs, because if you dont you'll lose power. I have a friend who has a wrx with a bit of mods , intake,exhaust,turbo timer, boost controller,a couple other things and a front mount intercooler. After he put the front mount on he lost atleast 30 horsepower. Then he put the stock one back on and it was waayy faster.
the reason you friend lost that much power was because he didn't cranked up the pressure. ON wrx or sti, when you switch from top mount to front mount you pressure drops a few pounds. thust leaving with less HP. top mount intercooler is less efficient. If you think about it, when he drives it, it is all nice and cold. when he stops, where do you think all that head form the engine goes, all the heat goes to the top where intercooler is. that is why first thing wrx or sti people do is switch to front mount intercooler.

as to air intake, you can make it. i am sure if you drive in heavy rain it will suck up a lot of it. that is why you can make one that can open and close with a push of a button. http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/tech/0407pon_pontiac_shaker_hood_scoops/

or read this http://www.answers.com/topic/hood-scoop

stat1K
09-27-2006, 10:31 AM
yes, the intercooler is part of the intake piping. but in the case of the wrx sti or the mini cooper-s (both use a tmic), the hood scoop is not to push air into the intake piping, it's to push air through the intercooler. the air that's inside the intercooler is the compressed air from the turbo. do you understand high school physics and how a turbo works?

but if you're pushing air through the intercooler where does this air go after if it's not going into the intake? and way to be a condescending dick at the end of your statement. you got that shit down pat.

FyreDaug
09-27-2006, 12:00 PM
The air goes back to the air, its just there to flow through the IC like a rad to cool the air on the inside.... that seemed to simple of an answer, is that what you were asking??

snoopyloopy
10-24-2006, 11:53 AM
but if you're pushing air through the intercooler where does this air go after if it's not going into the intake? and way to be a condescending dick at the end of your statement. you got that shit down pat.
basically, an intercooler is a radiator for the compressed air. just as in a radiator, the air doesn't go into your coolant system, same with an intercooler. the air on the outside doesn't go into the intake system. and i wasn't trying to be an ass, but if you don't understand one or the other or either of those two subjects, then understanding the point of an intercooler and how it works is that much harder for you. and you yourself said you weren't very keen on turbos...