PDA

View Full Version : My new Infinity 6.5" Components in back...

RamThis
09-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Forgot to post pics of these when I put them in a couple months ago. While the engine is blown and it's not going anywhere for a while, I remembered to take some pics lol.

INFINITY REFERENCE 6010cs 6.5 "

Speakers would fit in the factory housing ok with the adapter ring included, BUT, the factory grille sat so close to the cone and surround I was afraid the woofer would hit the inside of the stock grille. So, I took it all apart, and just drilled a few holes in the stock base, used the grille setup that came with the speakers, and mounted them on top of the factory base. Not the best looking, but it's functional. Then I mounted the tweets. They have a mounting ring with a threaded inner ring that pulls them down tight to whatever surface you are mounting into. I chose that location because there was a large enough hole there in the metal rear deck to reach my fingers through and thread on the large plastic nut to hold the tweets in place. Plus at their angle, they direct the sound forward so you dont rely on the sound being bounced off the rear glass. Works out great. I will order another set for the fronts (Has Alpine Coaxials in it now, the rears are so clear and loud that it drowns out the sad little coaxials.) I already have a really nice Alpine CDA-9856 CD/MP3/WMA Reciever to install. Then I need a sub and I'm set.

http://www.dodgetrucks.org/gallery/data/500/Rear_Spkr2.jpg

http://www.dodgetrucks.org/gallery/data/500/Rear_Spkr1.jpg

http://www.dodgetrucks.org/gallery/data/500/Rear_Spkr3.jpg

ghettogeddy
09-01-2006, 09:20 PM
i say ditch the grils and put the stock covers back on

RamThis
09-01-2006, 09:28 PM
Stock covers and the speaker cones are too close, it only has like 1/8" of clearance to the surround. If the stock grille sat higher it would help alot. When I get the engine swap done I may look at doing something different with them though, not too happy with how they look mounted up like that. It's not that bad though.....

Vanilla Sky
09-01-2006, 09:40 PM
take the stock mount out completely and mount them directly to the back deck. then just use the grilles that came with the speakers like you're using now. works out well that way.

ghettogeddy
09-01-2006, 09:42 PM
im just the kind of guy that if the speaker is going into a stock location then forget the grill but if ur putting them into a place were a speaker wasent before then use the grill u know

and i love the way the tweets are installed i might just look into doing some like that

mkymonkey
09-02-2006, 12:25 AM
i have those up front in my coupe...and some infinity 6x9's in the back. i must say they sound awesome!!! though i agree with whoever said it...take the grille off and use the stock piece. i would mod the mounting ring on the stock piece to accept the speaker without any clearance problems. thats what i did with the back for the 6x9's since they're oversized

MessyHonda
09-02-2006, 02:09 AM
yeah you dont want ppl to knoe what kind of speakers you have...so thats why you try to cover it with the stock one...no one said it was easy but with some mods you can pull it off.

Sabz5150
09-02-2006, 05:38 AM
take the stock mount out completely and mount them directly to the back deck. then just use the grilles that came with the speakers like you're using now. works out well that way.

You'll need a back deck cover from a DX to pull that off. The cutouts for the stock pieces are too big to be covered by the speakers.

But it looks nice when done.

RamThis
09-02-2006, 12:58 PM
You'll need a back deck cover from a DX to pull that off. The cutouts for the stock pieces are too big to be covered by the speakers.
But it looks nice when done.

Yeah I was gonna say that I already considered just mouning the speakers to the rear deck without the stock pieces but the cutouts were too big, and the woofer sets too high in the stock mount to use the stock grille, forcing me to just use the stock base as a mounting surface and using the Infinity grilles.

I may concoct something later, but the engine swap is going to take precidence over the speakers LOL. Whatever I do I will post up some pics and a how-to kinda thing.....

Sabz5150
09-02-2006, 04:54 PM
Yeah I was gonna say that I already considered just mouning the speakers to the rear deck without the stock pieces but the cutouts were too big, and the woofer sets too high in the stock mount to use the stock grille, forcing me to just use the stock base as a mounting surface and using the Infinity grilles.
I may concoct something later, but the engine swap is going to take precidence over the speakers LOL. Whatever I do I will post up some pics and a how-to kinda thing.....

http://www.enginevoodoo.com/images/accord/accord8.jpg

That's the work I did. Appearance wise it is more than worth it. You'll have to do some drilling and screwdriver work that can make you want to punch someone because of the rear glass. :gun:

RamThis
09-02-2006, 06:11 PM
Sweet job, looks like we had similar ideas on tweeters, just in a little different location.
What is that material you used to cover the rear deck with? Mine is a bit faded but clean, and the material underneath is really, really brittle. Really worried me putting in those tweets, it was crumbling really easy.
BTW, how do you get it out without destroying it? I wanted to pull mine out complete, fiberglass it to give it strength again, and recover it, but I'm almost afraid to try to remove it....

RamThis
09-02-2006, 06:15 PM
Ya know, I just remembered, I have the donor car with a good rear deck, and the back window is busted out.....

Would be easy to remove the rear deck and do all my modding to it and get it perfect and then install it in my car..... hmmmmmmm :)

Sabz5150
09-02-2006, 06:41 PM
What is that material you used to cover the rear deck with?

Velveteen.

BTW, how do you get it out without destroying it?

The best advice I can give you is TAKE YOUR TIME. When you lower the backseat, you'll see the first few plastic screw-like things that you need to remove. Slide your hands under the deck and feel around for the others. If you are real careful, you can remove them from the deck piece without damaging it. For the most part you'll be fine unless you just tear through it, no pun intended.

REn0
09-02-2006, 07:11 PM
ya i just finished re-doin the rear deck myself in a black material much like velveteen there, also put in the 6010cs, left me too frustrated to mess with the tweets so im just rockin the main, but it works so far, seems like a simple project. amazing how frustrating it is.

REn0
09-02-2006, 07:13 PM
oh and the speaker will hit the inside of the stock grill, found that out the hard way and was thinking my speaker was messed, so i have the new ones in now, but because of the new upholster no need for the setup like that, just normal, highly recommended:blah: :blah:

TdotWarrior
09-13-2006, 05:23 AM
hmmm nice tweeters at the back... i take it you dont have anything in ur trunk?

sinisterfuzzy
09-13-2006, 05:33 AM
i'm diggin the speaker location for sure. what are all the models that had 6x9s stock?

Xtreemjedi
09-13-2006, 06:08 AM
I have an '89 LX-i coupe, and I put in some real nice Pioneers. 6x9 in the back deck, I had a LOT of fabbing to do to make them fit inside the stock boxes and grill. I used a hand-held dremell tool with a metal grinding bit, it took about 2.5-3 hours per speaker, but that can be done on 1 saturday, then you have a nice system, but nobody knows from peeking in. I'm ALL about security. I live in Orlando, and I drive an Accord, that's not the greatest combo. At least I don't live in Miami...

BTW, by boxes are a different shape than yours are. I'll try and take some pics to post.

sinisterfuzzy
09-13-2006, 07:30 AM
yeah, i like the somewhat stock looking interior as far as speakers go and stuff like that ( i am still planning on some racing buckets, a shifter, and wheel). but yeah, right now my front speakers are just chillin' cuz i ruined the covers, i went to the jy and picked up some new ones :D

forrest89sei
09-13-2006, 06:24 PM
i'm diggin the speaker location for sure. what are all the models that had 6x9s stock?

1988-89 LX-i's (Sedan & Coupe)
1989 SE-i

FyreDaug
09-19-2006, 08:37 PM
So you put components in the back? Do you have some up front?

Sabz5150
09-23-2006, 10:34 AM
So you put components in the back? Do you have some up front?

Me? No, and for a reason.

FyreDaug
09-23-2006, 09:18 PM
No I was talking about the original poster. Components in the back and not in the front = not good

Sabz5150
09-24-2006, 08:05 AM
No I was talking about the original poster. Components in the back and not in the front = not good

It depends.

Most people love to mount components with the midbass down low and the tweeter up beside the side mirror. That is not good and is why I am still sticking with coaxials until I decide a decent place to mount the tweeter. The problem with the aforementioned setup is that a low to high frequency change will make the sound seem to shoot up from the floor to eye level (and vice versa) because that's precisely what's happening. With rear components that problem is nonexistant.

There's also the issue of where to mount the crossover units without trouble from window glass, water, actuator mechanics, etc. Sure you could run all new wires into the door but that's a pain in the ass. Props if you pull it off.

FyreDaug
09-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Or you could mount the tweets inside with the woofer PCE216 on google will show you my components