PDA

View Full Version : Is this good for my carb

DDRaptor
09-02-2006, 08:02 AM
As you guys see in my Sig. I have a Clear Fuel Filter under the hood. It's nice it's glass and you can see the gas in it. but i have a simple question.
It's wider than the stock filter so it does'nt fill up completly iv'e seen it full once since the month that i put it on.
So i am inadvertenly straving the car of gas.???
It runs about 5-6 Psi of fuel pressure, but the pressure guage is right next to the reg as the picture shows.
And it never runs below 5psi, and even though when i clean the filter, i release the gas tank cap, and take the hose off but the pressure is still at 5psi. i heard you can take the fuse off for the fuel pump.

Also something i noted i have the regulator set to 3psi guage reads 6, so right now it's running like a 2x multiplier.

Hopefully one of you 3gee gods can shed some light on this.
pics below.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n19/DDRaptor/KIF_4613.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n19/DDRaptor/KIF_4614.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n19/DDRaptor/KIF_4615.jpg

A20A1
09-02-2006, 09:06 AM
I've had that exact setup with the stock pump and it never seem to work for me, it's probably why the fuel filter doesn't fill up for you too. At it's best when the filter was full I would get better performance, but soon after that the reg would lock up, pressure on the fuel pump side of the hose would be high and no fuel would get to the carb. I'm surprised it never locked up on you.

What made you install it closer to the pump?

I had mine in the engine bay close to the carburetor. Maybe thats why mine failed constanly.

The spectre gauge is not that accurate either.

Anyways I tend to stay away from the dial-in regulators. Something like a Holley regulator would be better. And so would a better gauge. I mean I could flick the spectre one and is would pop up to 2 psi and stay there even when it was off the car. The only decent thing is the filter other and even that I eventually got rid of and bought a fram. Spectre is just cheap junk, no consistancy.

Also you may want to upgrade the fuel pump. It is only supposed to put out close to 2.8 psi.

On the off chance some screw-ball in china bolted my regulator together the wrong way so the in and out were on the wrong side... I bought another regulator. Tested them both and still the things would lock up.

A20A1
09-02-2006, 09:10 AM
It should be full though when you run it... or mostly full will a small bubble in it.

DDRaptor
09-02-2006, 09:21 AM
I knew I wasn't crazy.

I got the pressure regulator because of the fact that the filter did'nt fill i figured it needed reg to maintain the flow.

I probley would'nt change the fuel pump just don't have the $$$ or a house with a garage to do that in.

I mean could i just get a regular inline filter at the zone, and leave the other things on the hose.
I actually have no idea why i put the guage there now that i think about it.

lostforawhile
09-02-2006, 09:23 AM
get rid of that filter!!! I had one just like that, the clamps were tight,but the halves of the filter unscrew from vibration and it will start leaking fuel. those ought to be banned. they are fine for tractors but never ought to be on a street car. also your fuel pressure gauge, how high does the gauge go? it sounds like 5 is the last number on the gauge and the needle rests there. fuel pressure on a carbed car ought to run about 2-3 psi. I have a special gauge I ordered from norskog, it is designed to read from 1/2 to 5 psi. a mechanical gauge isn't really going to be accurate at pressures that low unless it's an expensive gauge designed for that. my gauge is digital. how do you have the line going to the gauge? you shouldn't be running a fuel line inside of the car,you need to use an elecrical gauge or an isolator for a mechanical gauge.

DDRaptor
09-02-2006, 09:26 AM
Guage goes 1-15psi. I never had any leaks come from the actual filter body i tighten it with pliers when i put it on.

ANd the pressure reg and the guage are under the car. not inside.

lostforawhile
09-02-2006, 09:31 AM
I tightened mine too,but it still vibrated loose over time. there is nothing to prevent it from vibrating apart. the old ones they used to make locked so that didn't happen,the new ones are junk. you might have clamps on the inlet and outlet,but the flares can vibrate enough to let the filter ends turn. mine loosend up enough to make the car stall and was dumping fuel down the firewall. I got my money back fro spectre because I threatened to sue the shit out of them for selling a dangerous product.

DDRaptor
09-02-2006, 09:34 AM
hmm what should i do with the rest of the stuff, the reg and the guage, cause there nice and secure, i'm on my to get a regular filter at autozone.

meh another $7.69 fuel filter.

lostforawhile
09-02-2006, 09:45 AM
hmm what should i do with the rest of the stuff, the reg and the guage, cause there nice and secure, i'm on my to get a regular filter at autozone.

meh another $7.69 fuel filter.I'm sure they are fine for now. not trying to scare you or anything,just don't want to see your car or you go up in flames. what kind of gauge do you have? the spectre ones didn't seem very well made. I built an aluminum fuel distribution block under the hood. it's set up for a mechanical gauge also in addition to the sender for the port on the regulator. I'm going to get a low pressure mechanical gauge from summit racing for line pressure under the hood. they are about twenty bucks for a low pressure one. you can't be too careful with fuel parts under the hood. the cheap stuff is exactly that. I had bought one of those spectre gauges and the plastic part over the gauge mechanism actually fell off.

lostforawhile
09-02-2006, 10:04 AM
this is the holley low pressure regulator,with the sending unit for the gauge on one end. I went with all braided line and fittings after the fuel leak mess with the spectre filter. http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid207/p19d08fbd2ca2ac71aa5398a74d9ad214/eec71751.jpg
this is the fuel log under the hood that i made,it's set up for expansion and a gauge for line pressure. http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid207/p766e549d1726097b809d746d3318580e/eec71815.jpg

DDRaptor
09-02-2006, 11:11 AM
that's a nice reg. i'll probaley pick one of those up. and just get a new piece of rubber hose, but if i have my new job i was planning on getting braided lines for brakes, raditor, fuel.

Thanks for the heads up.
Really appreciate it guys.

Edit .

Lost where do you know where i can get an oil cooler and a tranny fluid cooler, as well as a civic carb box cause there are new junkyards in the city. :(

A20A1
09-02-2006, 08:59 PM
I have tranny coolers for sale. Buy mine :) please

oh and I had the clear filter but it comes with a plastic clip that is supposed to hole the two halves and keep them from coming undone.

Another way would be to twist the hose when you install in and then let the hose try to twist back the other way as a method to holding the filter together.

Get a fram though at least. they have clear plastic ones you can buy.

A20A1
09-02-2006, 09:01 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53423

lostforawhile
09-02-2006, 09:30 PM
that's a nice reg. i'll probaley pick one of those up. and just get a new piece of rubber hose, but if i have my new job i was planning on getting braided lines for brakes, raditor, fuel.

Thanks for the heads up.
Really appreciate it guys.

Edit .

Lost where do you know where i can get an oil cooler and a tranny fluid cooler, as well as a civic carb box cause there are new junkyards in the city. :(the oil cooler mounting is an on going project,a20a1 will sell you a transmission cooler,and if you put a listing in the wanted,someone will eithier sell you a civic box,or pull one for you and sell it to you.