PDA

View Full Version : New headunit

Sabz5150
09-02-2006, 02:48 PM
With my goal of building an SQ system for under a grand, I couldn't resist a Target special I came across today while shopping with the g/f. That and my DVD headunit died not too long ago.

http://www.enginevoodoo.com/images/dts/vr3.jpg

CD, MP3, WMA, SD/MMC, USB, and your usual AM/FM goodness. Supports ID3 tags and the backlighting is attractive. I read the reviews of this HU and they are good. The only downside is that I lose the digital output... the deck won't do DTS. But find me a CD headunit that does. I've got plans to remedy that problem soon though :)

This goes along with my "I take it as a sign" thread since I am once again updating the sound system. This time it should be final. We hope.

Vanilla Sky
09-02-2006, 10:05 PM
like me, you'll never be done with your audio system. always something newer and better to look into.

and so far, i'm doing good. i only have $57 in the entire audio system in my truck. can't beat that for cheap tunes.

RamThis
09-02-2006, 10:27 PM
What is it?
It looks like they tried to copy my Alpine..... only in reverse.....

CDA-9856
http://www.alpine-usa.com/images/products/images/cda-9856.jpg

MessyHonda
09-02-2006, 11:05 PM
What is it?
It looks like they tried to copy my Alpine..... only in reverse.....
CDA-9856
http://www.alpine-usa.com/images/products/images/cda-9856.jpg

lol my friend has that deck...i think he got it for 160....oh yeah i wont get a no name brand deck....i got screwed over with a pyle stereo...it said 200 watts and it could not even pick up 6by9s....so i got the alpine and it made the 6by9s pound and its only 180watts

mkymonkey
09-03-2006, 07:34 AM
a lot of companies that sell not known name brands copy the style and layout of the alpines.

but yeah what is it? lol

A18A
09-03-2006, 07:57 AM
damn a stereo with a USB port? lol i needa catch up with the times, how does it work? does it play through a ipod or do you load your music onto it or something :-/ thats a pretty mint stereo you got there:D

Sabz5150
09-03-2006, 04:29 PM
damn a stereo with a USB port? lol i needa catch up with the times, how does it work? does it play through a ipod or do you load your music onto it or something :-/ thats a pretty mint stereo you got there:D

You plug any USB device that is recognized as a mass storage class device. iPods, jumpdrives, hard drives, other mp3 players, so on and so forth. It'll read and play the mp3 files straight off of the device.

ghettogeddy
09-03-2006, 05:01 PM
were did u get it and how much ive been kind of looking for a deck that would use mp3's off a jumpdrive for cheap

MessyHonda
09-03-2006, 05:46 PM
were did u get it and how much ive been kind of looking for a deck that would use mp3's off a jumpdrive for cheap

in his first post he said target.i have a deck with mp3...and it has aux so i cant hook up anything to it...but im too lazy to install it...i might sell it cheap

ghettogeddy
09-03-2006, 05:48 PM
ya bt i want the usb

Sabz5150
09-03-2006, 08:22 PM

Target. 80 bucks.

I've never been a fan of Alpine. Most people on here know this :)

Vanilla Sky
09-04-2006, 01:48 AM
heh, i'm running a panasonic. i'll be looking to upgrade soon, though.

more of you guys need to look at used stuff and stuff your local audio store has had sitting around for a while. they'll let some stuff go for less than cost just to move it.

Sabz5150
09-04-2006, 09:29 AM
Snagged a 1gb usb flash drive for 17 bucks today. Gotta love labor day sales. No more burning random CDs for me!

ghettogeddy
09-04-2006, 09:30 AM
what kind of panisonic do u have

Vanilla Sky
09-04-2006, 12:46 PM
it's one of their older MP3 units. it really needs an amp and EQ to sound good in my truck. didn't sound bad in my 3gee, though.

my truck places the speakers low in the door panel and naturally filters out mids and highs. the eq would help me smooth that out.

RamThis
09-04-2006, 01:09 PM
Target. 80 bucks.
I've never been a fan of Alpine. Most people on here know this :)
Just wondering why? I have had a few different stereos, like them shitty Kenwoods and Clarions, and none of them held a candle to the Alpines. I have a Kenwood in my Acura Integra and hate it. (I didnt put it there but too lazy to replace it)
I have an old, but at the time was top of the line Alpine CDA-7939 setup in my 96 Ram, and it still kicks ass. I even got the Alpine ERA-G320 in there for sound staging and full graphic EQ.
http://jbhale.home.comcast.net/ebay/7939-front.jpg
http://jbhale.home.comcast.net/ebay/7939-rear.jpg
http://i1.ebayimg.com/03/i/07/ab/cf/8e_1_b.JPG
That with the Alpine DD/Drive speakers and the MTX Subs, it would really rock that truck!!

Vanilla Sky
09-04-2006, 04:59 PM
personally, i don't like alpine's current offerings. i'm more partial to eclipse than alpine if i'm spending the money.

but for a good unit that's good for just about everyone, then alpine is good. i've seen a few too many problems out of them for my tastes, but i believe that they fixed the problem at the QC level.

for now, i'm in the same boat with sabz, though. i want to build a GOOD system for very little money. as i've said before, including the amp i have, all i have in my system is $57. the EQ i have is another $15. i didn't pay for the speakers (junkyard special boston acoustics, my second set). I'm figuring i'll have around $125 with wiring and stuff when i have my amp and EQ installed.

RamThis
09-04-2006, 08:01 PM
Wow Im sorry to hear you had problems with Alpine. I've had nothing but good luck with mine, only time I had any problems with mine was when my Hifonics amp went out, and I replaced it with a new Clarion amp. Big mistake. Stupid amp has some metal clips that hold, hell, some little electronic things against the heat sink. Well, one of those clips broke and half of it landed to where it was laying on the low level in puts from my HU, and also it was touching a hot lead somewhere on the board. FRIED my freaking 7939!! Costed me about $160 to have it fixed at Alpine service center, and it never was the same even after that. I paid about $650 for that stereo, AT DEALER COST in 95 (I had the best connections for stereo stuff ever back then!!) Ever since I got it back from the shop, it skips playing CD's (It's a CD Max unit, I could practically jump hills in the truck and it NEVER used to skip) And it also now has trouble reading about half my burned CD's, which it used to play CD's that other players couldnt due to scratches or poor burns.

Maybe someday I will get another top end HU and EQ setup like that one, but not for a while.

Sabz5150
09-04-2006, 08:26 PM
I dislike Alpine not because I think they are shit decks, but because everyone puts them up on this magical pedastal that, although they are decent decks, they are not all that worthy of. Whenever anyone asks what deck they should get, everyone screams Alpine. I've dealt with some crap Alpine decks, even as far back as their OLD tape units, and dollar for feature you can do better if ya do your research into finding a deck that fits your specific needs instead of what you see in everyone else's dash.

Clarion makes some damn good decks. Eclipse is okay, so is Alpine. JVC is decent for your buck if you're looking for price point. Kenwood... ehhhhhh, it's a toss up.

I chose that deck because it had the features I wanted and nothing more. No extra fat or things I won't use. One pair of preouts, multiple media formats, mp3 capabilities, detachable face, aux input, and it's black. I don't need fish swimming across my deck, nor do I need my girl's name scrolling along nonstop. The only thing it IS missing is a digital output. Ya win some, ya lose some.