PDA

View Full Version : Installing Stereo?

Deathroll77
09-02-2006, 06:20 PM
I bought a 3g Accord LXI HB recently with a Pioneer deck and Infinity Speakers in front and 6x9 Infinity Speakers in the back and i want to add a 10" Sub in the back for some extra Bass! but i dont know how to Wire a Stereo system. i am experienced in Electronics. ive searched the forums for a guide on putting together Stereo systems but i cant find one.

so does anyone know a good Installing Stereo guide?

ghettogeddy
09-02-2006, 07:49 PM
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=127

any other questions let me know u will need a wiring harness for the deck witch u can get a and best buy or circut city or any of your local stero shops, if ur putting in a sub your gona need a amp and an a amp wiring kit

HostileJava
09-02-2006, 08:45 PM
get the model number for your head unit and i will draw you an explicit diagram. not a tech schematic but simple wiring diagram.
PM " 3g Jester" and ask him

TheWatcher
09-03-2006, 02:32 AM
so does anyone know a good Installing Stereo guide?
Surprisingly, Crutchfield's guide is decent, it's a start anyway. You get an installation guide free w/ any purchase.

Does you HU have any preamps? If not, you should probably upgrade the HU, cause speaker level output sucks.

You need to get an amp to drive the sub(s). If you get a lot of rattles, you need to solve that first, cause the sub(s) are gonna make it worse. Maybe invest in some Dynamat Xtreme. Also, some streetwires would be nice.

Ditto on getting the wire harness.

You didn't mention having an amp in your initial post. Why don't you just buy the amp from a car stereo shop and have them install it for you. :)

Peace.

Listen2myBASS
09-06-2006, 08:30 AM
just don't bring it to best buy to have them install it. they'll either charge for something stupid or install to THEIR liking. make sure YOU like the wiring.

ghettogeddy
09-06-2006, 08:33 AM
best buy install = crap job sometimes they will do it right but most the time they dont

gp02a0083
09-06-2006, 11:17 AM
best way to hide some wireing is to go under the carpet on the backs of the hatchie seats

Deathroll77
09-06-2006, 01:20 PM
today ill look up the exact Specs on my system and see if you guys can help me :) right now the amp is the Deck 50x4watts. thats why i want an amp but i want all the of speakers to go louder! without getting distorted or muddy.

ghettogeddy
09-06-2006, 01:24 PM
welli have an audiobahn a4004 t 4ch and an audiobahn a 8000t mono block that im seeling 100 each +shipping

Deathroll77
09-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Ok my Stereo Specs are:

Deck: Pioneer DEH-1600

Front Speakers: Infinity 5002i 5-1/4 45w RMS 135w Peak

Rear Speakers: Infinity 9602i 6x9 100w RMS 300w Peak

Basicly i want my system to be louder! and not Distort or get muddy and i want to install a Sub in the Trunk for some shaking Bass.

what do you guys recommend?

ghettogeddy
09-06-2006, 02:43 PM
buy my amp's u will love them im nly selling them caus ei have to fix my tranny

baqnblaq
09-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Well the deh-1600 doesn't have a sub preamp outputs. It only has front and rear. Which are located on the back of the deck. Buy some name brand rca's and make sure there long enough to reach the back of your car. plug the rca's into the one of the preamp outputs. When running your rca's make sure you run them where they might get pinched, cause if they get pinched... there junk. Now on the back of your deck is the deck wiring harness. In that wiring harness there is a blue wire. That blue wire is your remote wire. Splice into that wire and run a wire long enough to the location you plan on mounting your amp. Since the deh-1600 doesn't have a subwoofer funcion control, you can add a toggle switch to your remote wire. That way when you turn of your your switch, you turn off your amp. Now you need power wire. The gauge size will differ depending on the size of the amp using. Your going to need an inline fuse and fuse holder. The size of the fuse also differs depending on the size the amp. Make sure you mount that fuse no more than 12" from your battery. Now run your power wire to the back of your car on the opposite side your ran your rca's. The reason you run it that way ifs because if you don't your rca's will pick up the power frenqency and it will sound like shit. Don't cut corners and run your power wire though your door jam, cause if your pinches that wire enough it could cause a fire. I run mine though my firewall. Now you need a ground wire. The ground wire should not be ran more then 36" from your amp. When mounting the ground wire to your body make sure you sand the spot your mounting it to bare metal. Now just add your sub box. If you need help with that let me know.

MessyHonda
09-06-2006, 03:26 PM
Well the deh-1600 doesn't have a sub preamp outputs. It only has front and rear. Which are located on the back of the deck. Buy some name brand rca's and make sure there long enough to reach the back of your car. plug the rca's into the one of the preamp outputs. When running your rca's make sure you run them where they might get pinched, cause if they get pinched... there junk. Now on the back of your deck is the deck wiring harness. In that wiring harness there is a blue wire. That blue wire is your remote wire. Splice into that wire and run a wire long enough to the location you plan on mounting your amp. Since the deh-1600 doesn't have a subwoofer funcion control, you can add a toggle switch to your remote wire. That way when you turn of your your switch, you turn off your amp. Now you need power wire. The gauge size will differ depending on the size of the amp using. Your going to need an inline fuse and fuse holder. The size of the fuse also differs depending on the size the amp. Make sure you mount that fuse no more than 12" from your battery. Now run your power wire to the back of your car on the opposite side your ran your rca's. The reason you run it that way ifs because if you don't your rca's will pick up the power frenqency and it will sound like shit. Don't cut corners and run your power wire though your door jam, cause if your pinches that wire enough it could cause a fire. I run mine though my firewall. Now you need a ground wire. The ground wire should not be ran more then 36" from your amp. When mounting the ground wire to your body make sure you sand the spot your mounting it to bare metal. Now just add your sub box. If you need help with that let me know.

well if he is going to run front and rear the amp should be able to suport it...most amps have imputes and outputes...so hook up the deck to the inpute and then hook up the Sub amp to the output...and it should work fine...yeah looks like a 1600 is a bit outdated....my friend got his 3800 for 110 bucks. and he could of got the 5800 for 150 but didnt have the money.

baqnblaq
09-06-2006, 03:56 PM
No. You put the rca's in the output of deck. (signal goes out of the radio) Then run the rca's into the input of the amplifier. (signal goes into the amp) The deh-1600 is a budget pioneer deck. It don't have sub preamp outputs. He can just put his rca's in the front or rear preamp output. I do agree that the deck is out dated.

ghettogeddy
09-06-2006, 03:59 PM
no what messy is saying is most 4 ch amps have a pass thru or out put built into them my audio bahn has just that thing so he can run the front ane rear to the 4ch then the run another rca of the 4ch to the sub amp

baqnblaq
09-06-2006, 04:03 PM
Oh okay. I guess I misunderstood what he was saying.

ghettogeddy
09-06-2006, 04:05 PM
and also if he dosent get a 4ch with an output he can just split the rear output with spliter and run it to the sub amp

Deathroll77
09-06-2006, 06:43 PM
cant get it out. i cant get the stereo out how do i get the stereo out?

ghettogeddy
09-06-2006, 06:55 PM
the stock one

edit sorry i re-read the first post
u need the keys that go one the side but i may be able to do it with a coat hanger if not they sell the keys at wall mart ur just take it somewere and wave then pull it out just say ha i bought this with out the keys and i need to get it out they should just do it for you

edit #2 - i see your in sac if u want to drive out to antioch i can do the install for real cheap

RamThis
09-06-2006, 08:05 PM
If you just add a sub, and cut back the bass level of your stereo's output, it will put out more volume with less distortion, and the sub will take care of the low level sounds, and save you some money in trying to wire up another amp to run the mids/highs.

Basically, just get a good stereo or mono Subwoofer amp (Class D I think they are called) and a 10" sub with ported enclosure. Run a sub power supply cable with fuse link from the battery to the amp wherever you decide to mount it. I think most basic amp wire is 4ga. Then, using a good ground strap, ground the amp to the unibody (frame) of the car. Now, connect two RCA cables from one of the RCA outputs (front or back doesnt matter, just make sure to use the Red AND the White connectors, or L and R) on the back of your stereo and run them to the amp, and at the same time, connect a wire to the BLUE wire coming from your stereo's harness and have it parallel the RCA cables running to the amp. You can connect the hot lead from the battery first, then ground it to the frame, then connect your Remote Turn On (blue lead) to the amp. This turns on and off the amp whenever your stereo is turned on or off, there is no need for a toggle switch as it's switched automatically from the stereo. Then connect to one of the RCA in puts on the amp. Now, if you have a Mono amp, just connect your sub with some good Monster Wire to the + and - leads to the amp, set the bass level and frequency cutoffs to your liking at the amp, and voila. If you have a stereo amp, Whatever input you used, F or B, use the same on the output. I think most all Subwoofer rated amps are bridgeable, meaning you can take two channels and combine them into one and use it like a mono amp. You connect to the negative of the L side, and the positive of the right side, and now you have both channels working as a mono channel, doubling it's power output.

If you get a fancy sub amp, it will even have a bass level control know you can mount up near the dash, so you can dial in more bass or take some away depending on the music you are listening to.

This is how I had my truck set up for a while when my amp shorted and fried my nice Alpine Head Unit. I put the stock stereo back in, used the High Level in puts on the amp for my signal, and bridged it for my two 10" MTX's, and ran the other speakers off the stereo amp itself, and just cut out the bass output so that my stereo was only playing mids and highs. Sadly, with the amp only running the subs and not the other speakers, it thumped much harder than when I had my Alpine in there and had everything running off the amp itself.

Deathroll77
09-06-2006, 08:24 PM
the coat hanger didnt work. so where do i get the tabs? i didnt get it from a store it came with the car. or does anyone else have another way?

ghettogeddy
09-06-2006, 08:32 PM
look behind it a make sure its not secured with anything sometimes installers will bolt it down in the back, if that dosent work u should just be able to take it to fry's and talk one of the mobile instaers to remove it for u for free just say hay im instaling a amp and i dont have the keys they myay just give u the keys u can even try saying u had ur deck instaled there and u dident get them if the ask for a recipet say u dont have it and u paid with cash

Deathroll77
09-06-2006, 08:50 PM
can i get the tabs anywhere though?

BTW where is the screw in the back because i think thats why i cant get it out.

RamThis
09-06-2006, 10:09 PM
can i get the tabs anywhere though?

BTW where is the screw in the back because i think thats why i cant get it out.

If it has one, it should be right in the center back panel of the stereo, it's usually a comination mounting lug/ground lug. I haven't take the Head Unit out of my Honda yet so I'm not too familiar with how they mount in these cars yet, but I'm fairly sure it should have a rear mount screw (usually a 10MM wrench) Alot of older cars had the rear support screw with a mounting strap (looks like plumber's tape) whereas most new cars have a deep pocket or a sturdy mount that the stereo just screws into from the front.

Deathroll77
09-07-2006, 11:45 AM
hmm ill check the back of it i just wanna run RCA cable from the back of it to my trunk. then ill hook up a sub and turn off my lows and let my sub do the lows. thus i can turn my stereo louder!!! LOL

RamThis
09-07-2006, 07:38 PM
hmm ill check the back of it i just wanna run RCA cable from the back of it to my trunk. then ill hook up a sub and turn off my lows and let my sub do the lows. thus i can turn my stereo louder!!! LOL

Don't forget the blue Remote Turn On wire when you run those RCA's. Otherwise the amp will not turn on. Glad you liked my idea. Not competition quality idea, but it gets you some nice bass and cleaner sound without a ton of money up front. Then later if you want, you can add the 4 channel amp for the mids/highs and connect your sub amp to the outputs from your 4 channel amp, provided you get one that has the outputs along with the inputs for daisy-chaining the amps.