PDA

View Full Version : Back to basics??

bumbleski
09-03-2006, 12:02 PM
Hi all....
I just wanted to double check on some basic principals I've learned over the years to make sure they apply on my Accord, which is a 1989 LXi coupe, 5-spd with the fuel injection.
I'm a long time motorhead but all my experience is on natually aspirated V-8s.
Certain simple conservative mods to an american V-8 would result in both an increase in performance AND fuel mileage. Those are
A: going to an opened up exhaust with header
B: intake manifold with appropriate carb tuning
C: mild cam
D: hotter spark system.
Usually A + B would be planned out together to get the desired result, and I can see where A is a fairly simple job.
Being as this is my first fuelie, I'm looking for info/advice on the intake system. I've seen the cold air intakes, but what about the system after that? Are there aftermarket parts available?
If anybody has a link to a site with FI theory I would appreciate it.
I already know I'll be doing the exhaust system soon, so I need to plan ahead as to where I'm going with this.
Basically all mods are hoping to get an increase in power AND mileage on this car, I still have my 700+ hp other toys to play with, and mileage is definately not a concern with them.
bumbleski

mkymonkey
09-03-2006, 12:50 PM
well let me begin with saying welcome to our little frustation world! lol

you might ask why i say that. well the 3g accord, unlike any american car or any other honda for that matter, does not have a great aftermarket support. you seem to know your stuff when it comes to modding so im just going to flat out tell you (instead of saying the usual SEARCH, you will hear in this thread or for any other question you may ask here lol) that the intake manifold can be modded. like port matching/p&p and blah blah blah. OR you could get an intake manifold for a b series honda engine and mod it to fit. you only have to cut a few pieces of the b series manifold to make it fit. there have been more than 5 people that have done this already. edelbrock makes the victor x which everyone is splooging over at the moment. or you could hunt for a focuz intake manifold like GFRG88 (look him up) has on his car. oh you can also port and polish your throtle body for better response or if youre going with a different IM you can install a bigger one. i know GUAYNABO89 has the victor x IM with a 70mm tb on there. our stock one can only be ported to 68mm i believe. other than that, you can make your own intake (remember i said no aftermarket support?) or buy one off of ebay for another honda and mod it to fit. Personally i like the 5th/6th gen aem knock off cold air intake because it only has two bends. some dont require any modding and some do. I had to cut about 6 inches off of mine so it wouldnt scrape the floor.

for the exhaust, there were companies that made headers & down pipes for our grocery getters, but they discotinued them. the only company right now that makes them is pacessetter (im pretty sure you know who they are). or as we like to call them paceshitter. lol the other ones were s&s and DC Sports. But DC stopped making them and you will find a member or two here selling them from time to time. but they tend to get very expensive for a used item. Either you could just go for pacesetter or make your own. I know A20A1 (another member here) made a Megan racing header for a 4th gen work onto our motors. he wrote a how to on it as well so look that up. for cams you have a few options. most people here just send their stock one to delta to get re ground. most of this stuff you will find here already discussed in previous threads. Actually the things ive mentioned can be found in the FAQ of the site.

but anyway welcome to the site and enjoy your stay. for now i will leave you with some pictures of other member's cars as well as mine so you can see what im talking about when it comes to the intake.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b192/gfrg88/100_0706.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g311/sinnedone321/DSC00005.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g311/sinnedone321/DSC00007.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/469000-469999/469581_179_full.jpg

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/4665/hpim4640yg1.jpg

ps: show pics of your 700hp toys you have :rockon:

MessyHonda
09-03-2006, 01:17 PM
nice write up monkey...yeah im going to be puting DC headers since its one of the best companies that ever made headers for our car. with a 2.25 inch exhuast. i have to run a CAT since i live in california but i got a high flow one magnaflow one. some people just rebuild the engine like Boba he is going to be running a bosted car soon. he has a nice parts list on his website. a tow truck driver said that he had a nissan 240 from the 70s and put a mustang engine and he put headers and wraped them. he said he can peal out in 3rd gear. well most of our cars will have to be custom or moded to fit. our cars were not ment to be race cars. people think that the civic can be a race car but they have way more aftermarket support then our hondas since most of them were carb. well good luck with your mods...i also have a Pacesetter hearder that i might sale since its failing at the welds but any one with skills can patched them up. good

mkymonkey
09-04-2006, 11:18 PM
so uh...where are these toys you were talking about??? :D