PDA

View Full Version : What else to fix suspension?

Chrome_thangs
08-28-2002, 09:27 PM
I just recently replaced my struts and springs but i still have to dodge man hole covers and other small bumps. I'm considering getting 17" rims so i can have more "meat" to absorb bumps. What other repairs can i make to get it to ride like new.(Or just close)

Jims 86LXI HB
08-28-2002, 10:16 PM
Pull the Bilsteins off and have them revalved. That will fix your problems. Without getting them revalved they simply don't have what it takes for lowering springs. What you are discribing is just that I felt and I was running 195-55-15's with plenty of meat. Now whole thing is all lowering springs are stiffer and will ride firmer than a stock car will. But a stiff spring + a weak sturt will really screw things up. It's not just that you need to stiffen the strut, it's that when you do that it will handle bumps in a much more professional manner. Normally I'd tell someone in your situation to get the Koni's, but that would cost you $216. In your case $110 will get you better struts then the Koni's. In your case you may also want to consider replacing the tokico's in the rear with koni's.

It cost's $110 for both front struts and the person you want to talk to at Bilstein is Jack. He will need to know what the spring rates are for your sprint's. Here's what they are
front 350 to 425 rear 225 to 300

DO NOT revalve them to what he says most people do, insist that they are revalved to the spirng rates and no firmer.

TeKKnoTeKK
08-29-2002, 01:55 AM
damn Jim you sound like a salesman lol. I have been considering doing the same thing chrome.....The 35 series tire just doesn't cut it, sure they handle well so far but it sucks going over bumps. I just don't wanna take the loss of selling my wheels cuz I know I probably won't get near what I paid. But on the same hand the amount I don't get back would probably cover the new wheels and tires. Dunno. But Jim is right, damn good struts in your case would probably help a lot. I think I am gonna start saving up for koni's in the front and tokico's in the rear. Or was it liquor up front, poker in the rear :huh: :D

Chrome_thangs
08-29-2002, 04:29 PM
My Bilsteins are in the back! I have Toxicos in the front. So even with the 17's i would still get that awful clatter over bumps?

Jim: You said you had your Bilsteins revalved? They're made in Germany huh? Did you have to send them way over there? How long did the entire process take? How much?

Also what size tires would i need to go w/ the 17":D

Jims 86LXI HB
08-29-2002, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Chrome_thangs
My Bilsteins are in the back! I have Toxicos in the front. So even with the 17's i would still get that awful clatter over bumps?

Jim: You said you had your Bilsteins revalved? They're made in Germany huh? Did you have to send them way over there? How long did the entire process take? How much?

Also what size tires would i need to go w/ the 17":D

Allrighty I got it backwards. The clatter your feeling is one of the things I talk about that happens with weak struts. If you get some koni's for the front it will take car of that, and if your rims are heavier than stock that may be contributing to the problem. If, after getting the front koni's you still feel that the rear suspension is not buttoned down, then go ahead and revalve the rear Bilsteins. If you wanted to you could buy a pair of front bilstein's and have them revalved, but that would of course be more expensive than just buying new koni's.

I sent my Bilsteins to their headquarters in the san diego california area. They came back to me in about 2 weeks. Cost was $110 + shipping.

The problem with trying to get more sidewall height with your 17's will be the rear fenders. 205/45-17 You will most likely need to roll them. Even then you're not going to gain much sidewall height. Do the struts first and then consider taller tires or consider switching to 16's.