PDA

View Full Version : Grounding wire made a huge different.

DDRaptor
09-05-2006, 03:22 PM
ok today in a recap.

went to autozone to pick some restore for the engine.

ended up buying more cause i had on of those $20 giftcards after buying $100 worth.

Anyways i saw a battery cable exactly a side post (DS425B) 4gauge wire and i was like this is perfect to be a grounding wire, and holy smokes man it made a difference. i had put the restore in the engine too but it's a fluid so i don't think it make an immediate difference but the grounding seem to make everything smoother.

i used the big wire i bought and put it on the engine valve cover and connected it where the hood rubber bumper meets the chasis. and i still used the little stock cable and connected it close to were the fuel filter is at on one of those bolts.

It shifts better, the shifts are closer in RPM, and the power is felt immediatly before there was a little play in the gas pedal now it's there as soon as i touch it the power is there.

So yeah i recommend it to everyone a 5.99 cable DS425B and don't forgot to reuse the stock cable and put it on top of the post of the new wire and connect it to the Chasiss somewhere.

yes i did search to make sure i wasn't making a second post.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
09-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Updating old wiring is always a good idea. Grounds are prone to rusting and oxidation so replacing those wires usually yields the effects you are describing. Also have a look at your battery terminals. After 17 years my stock battery clamps looked all gouged and scored. What this causes is extreme oxidation around the posts because there are air gaps in the contact area. Replaced those suckers and now I'm enjoying smoother engine performance and no oxidation whatsoever. Brighter lights too :) New wiring = good idea.

MessyHonda
09-05-2006, 03:43 PM
Updating old wiring is always a good idea. Grounds are prone to rusting and oxidation so replacing those wires usually yields the effects you are describing. Also have a look at your battery terminals. After 17 years my stock battery clamps looked all gouged and scored. What this causes is extreme oxidation around the posts because there are air gaps in the contact area. Replaced those suckers and now I'm enjoying smoother engine performance and no oxidation whatsoever. Brighter lights too :) New wiring = good idea.

yeah that is right...when i was going to install my amp i had to run my wire and the post looked so beat up that i went out and got a used Monstercable connector that had a special conection for a 4guage wire. after that my car started every time...i think the connection was not tight for the old one. so yeah 20 bucks later it felt good...another cheap mod was to take another ground wire and put it on the powerstearing bolt.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Messybone/car/DSCF1933Small.jpg

reanimator420
09-05-2006, 04:13 PM
interesting explain^

DDRaptor
09-05-2006, 04:18 PM
Where else can I put more grounding wires?

and why does the board always space my posts, i seperated it and i puts it back togehter, i need to get a picture so that you see how i put it.

MessyHonda
09-05-2006, 04:32 PM
interesting explain^

http://i6.tinypic.com/2ldgcnl.jpg

thoes are the ground wires on the right. and on the left is the monster cable battary post...its gold plated so i wont get any oxidation on my post.

DDRaptor
09-05-2006, 06:21 PM
your second is going to the alternator?, i'm just too dumb to see where it's going.

EDIT. i realised you already said you put it on th power steering bolt.

TheWatcher
09-06-2006, 07:54 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Messybone/car/DSCF1933Small.jpg

Wow, is that a front strut bar on a carbed accord??? :omg:

How did you manage to get the strut bar to fit??? I thought it couldn't be done.

This is the first time I've seen anything like that. I have a LX, so I'm really curious. I would love to buy a front strut bar if I could get it to fit. :)

TIA.

Peace.

2oodoor
09-06-2006, 08:07 AM
looks like a bunch of washers/spacers on tower, maybe bent slightley too, looks like it would vibrate though... In repsonse to /The Watcher

ghettogeddy
09-06-2006, 08:18 AM
i dont belive its actually connected to the car , i think its going or is on his lxi

MessyHonda
09-06-2006, 02:02 PM
i dont belive its actually connected to the car , i think its going or is on his lxi
WOW you guys crack me up:rofl: ....no its not bolted...i just wanted to show it off b4 i even got myLx-i it could be done with a bunch of spacers....or get that one that ataches to the firewall but you would need the civic air box...you can see the left side is not even on. yeah its going on my LX-i when i change the shocks and put the lowring spings.

DDRaptor
09-06-2006, 09:24 PM
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n19/DDRaptor/KIF_4619.jpg

that's how i got it set up.

DDRaptor
09-06-2006, 09:24 PM
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n19/DDRaptor/KIF_4618.jpg

ghettogeddy
09-06-2006, 09:28 PM
thats a big f'n ground wire mine isent that big but i like were i hooked it to
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/101_06521.jpg

edit: i do have to ask what that other ground is for

DDRaptor
09-06-2006, 09:32 PM
i was going on a whim that bigger is better cause i figured the resistance is gone, it works like a dream. so i guess i'm gonna try to find more places to put more of these bad boys.

EDIT - the second ground is the stock ground i'm using it for my pilot 4 switch flat panel set. it's basically a breakout box with 4 12V switches.

mkymonkey
09-06-2006, 09:36 PM
that ground wire wast the first thing i changed on my car...as well as the one on the battery

DDRaptor
09-06-2006, 09:41 PM
i would love to do the battery cables but i don't know where they go. they go down and then i don't see where they go,

mkymonkey
09-06-2006, 10:30 PM
just follow them lol...if i remember correctly they go to the block and the chasis an some other spots

DDRaptor
09-06-2006, 11:24 PM
hmm i guess i'll give it a shot, and look the next time i jack up the car how long should i get them?

mkymonkey
09-07-2006, 12:40 AM
well you can just get some 4ga cables that are used to wire amplifiers together. if i remember correctly i saw some for 11 bucks for 25 feet on ebay.

ill look for the link give me a sec.

edit: ok i couldnt find the one i was looking for but i found a spindle for 50 bucks of 100 feet :D now you can change all the ground wires in your engine bay and even have some left over for an amp install :D

anyway here's a link (http://cgi.ebay.com/4-GAUGE-4G-G-100-FEET-FT-BLACK-POWER-GROUND-CABLE-WIRE_W0QQitemZ9744749160QQihZ008QQcategoryZ32810QQ ssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

mkymonkey
09-07-2006, 12:43 AM
well you can just get some 4ga cables that are used to wire amplifiers together. if i remember correctly i saw some for 11 bucks for 25 feet on ebay.

edit: ok i couldnt find the one i was looking for but i found a spindle for 50 bucks of 100 feet :D now you can change all the ground wires in your engine bay and even have some left over for an amp install :D

anyway here's a link (http://cgi.ebay.com/4-GAUGE-4G-G-100-FEET-FT-BLACK-POWER-GROUND-CABLE-WIRE_W0QQitemZ9744749160QQihZ008QQcategoryZ32810QQ ssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

TheWatcher
09-07-2006, 02:55 AM
WOW you guys crack me up:rofl: ....no its not bolted...i just wanted to show it off b4 i even got myLx-i it could be done with a bunch of spacers....or get that one that ataches to the firewall but you would need the civic air box...you can see the left side is not even on. yeah its going on my LX-i when i change the shocks and put the lowring spings.
Well that explains everything ... just get my hopes up, then ... BAM ... crushed again.

:(

Peace.

HostileJava
09-07-2006, 03:46 AM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53701

Kinda been discussed before.

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/8022/a002ac1.th.jpg (http://img100.imageshack.us/my.php?image=a002ac1.jpg)

MessyHonda
09-07-2006, 07:49 AM

hey monkey....i think you would needlike a heat wrap around it....cuz thoes wires are for inside the car.....how about if hot oil spills or coolent ...you will need some heavy duty wires..lol well yeah i would get some high heat and oil resistant wires.

mkymonkey
09-07-2006, 09:09 AM
uh...well they also have power cable, from what i remember the power cable for amps go in the engine bay....but whatever. plus the cables that hostile used look just like regular amp cable. and ive seen people use amp cables for this mod as well...doesnt seem to bother them.

and if youre worried of hot oil spilling on your cables or coolant, i think you need to worry more about getting your car fixed than getting better ground cables lol

HostileJava
09-07-2006, 09:11 AM
Yup, the wiring I used is the same type of wiring you'd get with an amp kit. No problems with them at all.

MessyHonda
09-07-2006, 09:15 AM
uh...well they also have power cable, from what i remember the power cable for amps go in the engine bay....but whatever. plus the cables that hostile used look just like regular amp cable. and ive seen people use amp cables for this mod as well...doesnt seem to bother them.

and if youre worried of hot oil spilling on your cables or coolant, i think you need to worry more about getting your car fixed than getting better ground cables lol

lol...you never knoe man the power stearing pump line can give up or just over rev the car to like 6k and pop...yeah you are right if something crazy like that happens ...i first have to figure out that fan problem....il just make them out of old spark plug wires...and save me LOTS OF money....lol

HostileJava
09-07-2006, 09:24 AM
Even if coolant or oil spilled all over the cables it would take a while to melt through the plastic covers, and even if that were to happen, who cares, it's a ground wire, if it touches another ground wire it doesn't matter, the car will still run without the sheilding on it and you can just replace the cable along with the rest of the repair you are doing that caused oil or coolant to shoot out onto it.

mkymonkey
09-07-2006, 09:42 AM
yep agreed ^^

smufguy
09-07-2006, 10:04 AM
guys like me who got their battery in the trunk are pretty much fucked huh? :( unless we run a seperate 2 gauge cable just like the positive cable all the way from the trunk to the engine bay. I have to look into this and see whats up.

DDRaptor
09-08-2006, 05:52 AM
Hey

where do i get nice plug wires or do i have have to build my own wires?, and does it have to be one for my car?

smufguy
09-08-2006, 07:43 AM
Hey

where do i get nice plug wires or do i have have to build my own wires?, and does it have to be one for my car?

Build your own? i dont recommend that :kekeke:

when u mean plug wires, you mean Ignition/spark plug wires? regular Bosch, NGK or Taylor should be fine

DDRaptor
09-08-2006, 09:14 AM
it can be done it's because MSD does'nt make a kit for our year. but they sell boots and bulk wire by the 25foot. sections

Listen2myBASS
09-08-2006, 01:57 PM
i wanted to see if it did make a difference but all it did was drain battery?!:wtf:

HostileJava
09-08-2006, 03:09 PM
The only way it would drain your battery is if you either left somthing on in the car or are shorting to positive somewhere. Unless of course you didn't make a good connection to ground, then you may just be experiencing high resistance and not a dead battery, can you read the voltage across the battery?

smufguy
09-08-2006, 05:49 PM
it can be done it's because MSD does'nt make a kit for our year. but they sell boots and bulk wire by the 25foot. sections

unless ur running an extermely built NA motor with higher compression or force-fed motor, Ignition should be the last thing you need to worrk about. The stock ignition system is more than enough to handle all these simple bolt ons.

nskforlife
10-08-2006, 10:04 AM
I Replaced my ground wire with 6awg, and i noticed a HUGE throttle response!

More Torque in 1-3k range, better throttle response, smoother shifts, and less bogging between shifts. thanks :thumbup:

DDRaptor
10-08-2006, 11:38 AM
good to know of people that had some good results.

RamThis
10-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Really pro looking heavy duty cable are easy to make. Just get some good copper battery cabe terminals, the Solder kind not the Crimp type. clamp the tip of the terminal in a vise with the cup end facing straight up. Using a propane torch, melt a bunch of solder into the wire cup of the terminal, fill it about 3/4 full of melted solder. Heat the terminal not the solder, and it will start to melt. Have your wire already stripped back and coated with some Flux. While you have the solder/terminal hot and the solder is melted in the cup, dip the wire into the cup. The solder will momentarily harden and make the wire not go in all the way. Keep the heat on the terminal end being careful not to get the flame on the wire and burn the outer coating. The solder will begin to melt again and wick into the wire filaments, and the wire should slide the rest of the way in. Once it bottoms out, remove the heat, and hold the wire steady for about 30 seconds, or until it cools and hardens.

You can use some alcohol or carb spray to clean off the excess flux. Now you can put an inch long piece of heat shrink over the junction of the wire/terminal to seal it off and make it look even cleaner. Voila, professional looking soldered battery cable/ground straps!

Pico
10-08-2006, 05:02 PM
Great instructions RamThis I'm going to try that when I redo or add ground cables

HostileJava
10-08-2006, 05:09 PM
If you guys are just looking for a bigger ground cable, autozone has 6guage cables with the terminals already on them for like 5-15 bucks a cable depending on the length.

smufguy
10-09-2006, 11:09 AM
yup i got my 24inch 6gauge wire from autozone for 3 bux. Just buy it and install it and its done :) not that i felt a HUGE difference, but defenitely the idle is smoother, as far as claming hp and torque figures, the butt dyno is never right.

shepherd79
10-10-2006, 06:38 AM
DIY ground kit is easy. i just finished mine. I am getting ready to write up the How to for it.

nskforlife
10-11-2006, 08:28 PM
i noticed enough difference to recommend it, more power, easier shifts, and better idle, and also less backfiring.

mkymonkey
10-11-2006, 08:33 PM
DIY ground kit is easy. i just finished mine. I am getting ready to write up the How to for it.

so uh...did you write it yet?

MessyHonda
10-11-2006, 08:55 PM
^^^lol im also waiting

Pico
10-11-2006, 09:12 PM
Me Three ^^^