PDA

View Full Version : What happened

powderkey2
09-06-2006, 03:09 PM
My son was backing his car out of a driveway and he said he heard a 'clunk' and the car starting rolling forward. It will move through the gears but will not engage any. Kinda makes a buzzing sound when you put it in park.

Also...just as a side note...I had the front end aligned 2 hours before this happened. As another side note. I marked the tires before they were to be rotated and balanced...and guess what...the tires hadn't been moved. Busted dude and he took the $30 charge off the bill...just hope this wasn't a result of some half-ass work he did on the alignment.

About 3 months ago i put an AutoZone remanuf. 1/2 axle in (passengers side). A friend down the street said that sometimes they (axles/cv) go with the same symptoms. Any one had this happen?

Is there any way to do a driveway test to see what's up? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

88Accord-DX
09-06-2006, 05:35 PM
Look at the linkage from the shifter to the auto tranny. Might have came loose somehow & is not in the right position.

shepherd79
09-06-2006, 09:02 PM
best thing i can say, check the tranny oil fluid level. i bet you are low on it.

FyreDaug
09-06-2006, 09:23 PM
Or somehow you broke an axle, my friend had a sprint (i know its not the same car) but it would go into gear but it wouldnt do anything when you tried to move, it would make clinky sounds. Just check em out anyways

88Accord-DX
09-06-2006, 09:53 PM
As a last resort, look at the color of the tranny fluid. Change it if itsn't looking redish color.

ghettogeddy
09-06-2006, 10:08 PM
Or somehow you broke an axle, my friend had a sprint (i know its not the same car) but it would go into gear but it wouldnt do anything when you tried to move, it would make clinky sounds. Just check em out anyways
could be the spider gears, my volvo made the same clunky sounds when u put it in gear i demolished my spider gears if i can get a hold of the pics i will im still trying to source them that was about 4 pc's ago when i was a mod for whathedo.com well im still a mod but the sites down for mant right know and i cant access the pics area i hope the admin/site owner backed them up lol

powderkey2
09-07-2006, 03:36 AM
I checked the cable at the tranny and it was still attached at the lever, guess I can check it at the shifter to see if anything is disconnected there. I checked the AT fluid but it was good (not burnt) and at the right level.

The shifter moves through the gears but isn't engaging. I noticed last night that the speedo was moving up to about 30 mph when i gave it some throttle. It did this in all gear positions.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
09-07-2006, 05:26 AM
I checked the cable at the tranny and it was still attached at the lever, guess I can check it at the shifter to see if anything is disconnected there. I checked the AT fluid but it was good (not burnt) and at the right level.
The shifter moves through the gears but isn't engaging. I noticed last night that the speedo was moving up to about 30 mph when i gave it some throttle. It did this in all gear positions.

If the speedo responds that means your differential is spinning. Check the axles. I bet one is broken and you are just freewheeling the differential because one wheel is still connected to the tranny while the other is not.

FyreDaug
09-07-2006, 08:34 AM

yeah the only way for the speedo to read out is if something in the tranny is spinning, and like ^^ he said its connected at the differential. So this rules out tranny siezed and linkage issues. Definately check the spider gears going into the transmission on BOTH axles

powderkey2
09-07-2006, 10:47 AM
so if i jack the front end up i can tell which axle may be broken? If one wheels spins and not the other then the broken one will not move?

MessyHonda
09-07-2006, 11:47 AM
so if i jack the front end up i can tell which axle may be broken? If one wheels spins and not the other then the broken one will not move?

well the broken axel would spin....just jack up the car and try to sprin the tires with your hands and see if you can feel a diference

powderkey2
09-07-2006, 11:54 AM
there wasn't any difference on either side...neither one turned when in gear. I did notice that the driver side shaft (the cv boot by the tranny) is moving but the passengers side shaft isn't turning. Why would the d.s. inside boot be turning and not the wheel?

I'll do the manual spin check now.

powderkey2
09-07-2006, 12:14 PM
could not tell any difference when i spun them by hand. They both spin in park. the only difference I see is the inside drivers cv boot is spinning when tranny engaged.

FyreDaug
09-07-2006, 01:28 PM
What? the inside part of the shaft turns, like the physical drive shaft that is connected to the wheel but the wheel does not turn? At what point does the shaft not move? Just the inner part (2") moves and the rest doesnt? Is there a boot over that? Is it torn?

Sounds like the innter joint is broken

powderkey2
09-07-2006, 01:38 PM
lmao...sorry, those last 2 posts were confusing. When i put the tranny in drive the inside cv boot (the one next to the tranny) spins...the shaft/alxe does not.

powderkey2
09-07-2006, 01:47 PM
i just crawled under the car and the inner boot has seperated/broken. Looks like it twisted off at the ring clamp on the small end. I bet that's the bad axle. Is that why just the inner boot is spinning? Just put that s.o.b. in 3 weeks ago. Autozone product.

ghettogeddy
09-07-2006, 02:00 PM
well take it back and get another one

powderkey2
09-07-2006, 02:07 PM
yeah...just dug out the receipt. But that one was a bitch to install...but it's probably because it was 97 degrees w/ 80% humidity...lol.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
09-07-2006, 02:48 PM
Glad you found the problem. Unfortunately remanufactured axles are sometimes a shot in the dark when quality is concerned. :(

FyreDaug
09-07-2006, 07:50 PM
yeah...just dug out the receipt. But that one was a bitch to install...but it's probably because it was 97 degrees w/ 80% humidity...lol.

no its a bitch to install because its a 3g accord :p

AccordEpicenter
09-07-2006, 09:10 PM
my friend has broken like 3 autozone replacement axles on his civic. I seriously replace my outer cv joints alone, and with other known good used honda joints i fucking hate remans

powderkey2
09-08-2006, 11:05 AM
Well...another AutoZone axle is in. The guy at the store thought it was weird that it had snapped the axle. Thought perhaps a motor mount was bad...but when I got home I visually checked them...they looked OK. The motor doesn't torque when you start it. Guess AZ guy didn't want to admit axle may have been defective. But the one I got was beefer looking (same item number) but visually heavier duty.

Wanted to thank all you guys (again) for your help. BACK ON THE ROAD...