PDA

View Full Version : anybody using crank trigger?

newaccorddriver
09-06-2006, 10:16 PM
i was wondering if anybodys using crank trigger, or even knows how to put it on

88Accord-DX
09-06-2006, 11:53 PM
Don't think 86-89 uses a crank position sensor being an OBD-I ECU.

A20A1
09-06-2006, 11:59 PM
I thoght it was 0

88Accord-DX
09-07-2006, 12:10 AM
I thoght it was 0
Right, OBD-0 uses flashing lights as a code. My bad, never seen crank position sensors on them. I have seen crank angle sensors in the distributor though using the OBD-0 ECU's...

newaccorddriver
09-07-2006, 02:36 PM
i meant something in the lines of the EDIS system where theres a trigger wheel on the crank pulley. im having problems thinking about how to mount it on there and to get it to stay on properly for a long long time.

Oldblueaccord
09-11-2006, 07:42 PM
prolly want to run it of the flywheel some how maybe thru the timing hole. Or make that hole a little bigger.

It just a Hall effect trigger. It sees the metal (flag) ever time it crosses close to the trigger (sensor) . You might need to consider if it needs to be adjustable were its placed.

wp

88Accord-DX
09-11-2006, 08:31 PM
My guess you will need to upgrade your ECU to run it though. The sensor will need to be real close to the flexplate/flywheel to read the postition as mentioned.

newaccorddriver
09-11-2006, 08:34 PM
its gonna be placed on the crank pulley. although, it if could be mounted onto the cam gear itself, that would be easier cause i can reprogram it, but i doubt it can...

88Accord-DX
09-11-2006, 08:37 PM
its gonna be placed on the crank pulley.
What is going to be on the pulley for the sensor to read?

newaccorddriver
09-11-2006, 09:01 PM
the trigger wheel

88Accord-DX
09-11-2006, 09:06 PM
the trigger wheel
The reason I'm asking, is cause most crank sensors have at least 4 points to read off of. Never seen one trigger point referance for the sensor to read, then again do you have the computer (ECU) to do it?

newaccorddriver
09-11-2006, 09:14 PM
i was planning on running megasquirtnspark with the EDIS ignition system. this is for when i go turbo, ill be able to adjust ignition timing for maximum performance without having to use BTM

the EDIS wheel has 36 points to read off of

bobafett
09-12-2006, 08:32 AM
this is the kind of thing that has stopped me dead in my tracks for going with MS. i talked to machine shops, and they are indicating like its no big deal, but i havent found a really really easy way to do it. but its true that we need to figure out something, otherwise the stupid a20 dizzy will be holding us all back. :( whether we get obd1 swaps down easily, or we get CIS systems going, we have to find a simple solution...

newaccorddriver
09-12-2006, 05:55 PM
this is the kind of thing that has stopped me dead in my tracks for going with MS. i talked to machine shops, and they are indicating like its no big deal, but i havent found a really really easy way to do it. but its true that we need to figure out something, otherwise the stupid a20 dizzy will be holding us all back. :( whether we get obd1 swaps down easily, or we get CIS systems going, we have to find a simple solution...

im looking into it currently. its a good thing the crank pulleys are the same throughout all years and models, so atleast i can use the pulley in my engine without fear.

ive ordered the 36-1 ring, and i have no idea how big it is or how im gonna mount it or what it looks like except the tooth part. once it comes in, R&D in my part will begin. as soon as ive figured out a solution to it, ill post the results. so far, im considering taking out the PS if i need that pulley to weld into, but ill have to see what it arrives

2oodoor
09-14-2006, 03:03 PM
maybe put on other end of crank, flywhee side, or maybe just tell whats his name , no ask him NAD xxxow what the hockey stick w is doing. As long as ave distributor , why would you need it, how bad do you want it, well put wheel inside on the crank , machine a place,, it just is ridiculouw notion im sorry maybe go to another make and look at some diagrams of assemblys, and inmulate a like GM product or something,,,, excuse me.. have to heave.

newaccorddriver
09-14-2006, 03:26 PM
ive seen it done on a porsche 944 a guy that lives near me has, and he welded it on the crank pulley itself. im waiting on my trigger wheel to see how this is going to work. should be interesting, but i might have to drop the PS and get a manual rack for it...

2oodoor
09-19-2006, 01:30 AM
ive seen it done on a porsche 944 a guy that lives near me has, and he welded it on the crank pulley itself. im waiting on my trigger wheel to see how this is going to work. should be interesting, but i might have to drop the PS and get a manual rack for it...
what i sand hill are you talking about????
if your back to talking crank trigger for ign , then if you put it on the crank pulley it has to be on there, perfectly absoloutley streight, no runs no drips no errors... figure of speech dude..
as to your steering comment,,, where the F are you with that , has nothing to do with adding Crank trigger, unless you deleting ps pump which would be totaly stupid capitol S. BTW, If that is by chance what the H your talking of just go to Junk yard and get another AC or PS pulley and add it for the trrigger to mount hardware, I see that all the time, on these conversions they actually weld the pulley to the one behind it TO ADD things to drive off crankshaft.... but dude you need to know your shit,,welding that pulley, and letting it cool without warping,, it all has to be within perfect specs, no wobble what so ever if your mounting a sensor on a moving object

smufguy
09-19-2006, 08:28 AM
or you can just pretty much run a cam trigger (the one on the head) like most cars these days. a pretty good source would be early DSMs whose stock cam triggs are much reliable. I have looked into Crank trigger setups with magnetic pick ups, not only are they expensive, you have to make custom plates on the crank pully to run the trigger wheel and with the pulley already sitting too close to the box frame on the Driver side, its next to impossible to run one, unless u run the wheel in the rear of the pulley. IMO, just looking to cam trigger setups and go from there using OBD-1 or whatever aftermarket setups u are looking into.

2oodoor
09-19-2006, 04:21 PM
fair advice smurf, but its newaccorddriver who started the thread and I am not completely sure what he wants to accomplish but I will ablige with ideas on what I think it is he is saying he wants..I sort of agree with you , but the cam sensor is not always a quick read for starting, or extreme conditions. then it is that 1 and 4 cyl offset for firing intake exhaust profiles,,,hondas is not at the same , there is an offset . it would have to be custom made from the getgo.. expensive for what benefiti your geting, why doesnt he just get a Z20 datsun truck motor or ford ranger motor with 8 plugs,,, like I said , I dont know what his goal utlitmately .
Hey newaccorddriver, please search the forum for your subject, and maybe even hit the archives.....ROO

newaccorddriver
09-19-2006, 05:29 PM
my goal is to actually create something a little like this, as you can see it was welded on to the back of the pulley, and i would be balancing the complete bottom end with it. that picture was taken from my friends 944.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l81/ae1969/Picturev005.jpg

88Accord-DX
10-04-2006, 05:15 PM
Here is something I found that would benefit this thread, if any at all.

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/EDIS.htm

smufguy
10-07-2006, 02:54 AM
Here is something I found that would benefit this thread, if any at all.
http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/EDIS.htm

thats a cool link. :welcome: