PDA

View Full Version : 2Gee Dyno Pull Video & Chart (YouTube)

2ndGenGuy
09-08-2006, 12:09 AM
Hey everybody, I just got back from Vancouver where I hooked my car up to the dynamometer at Wong's Performance Engineering. I gotta say it was really fun! I got some great results as far as the actual performance of my stock, worn out old engine in my car. Turns out it's not as worn as I thought it was. I guess it's missing about 10hp from when it was new. I pulled 66hp and 85lb-ft at the wheels. Considering the loss through the drivetrain, I would expect to lose about 10-15hp to the wheels as-is.

Here's a video of Tom Wong the shop owner pulling my car through the first dyno we did. We tried it in 4th gear, but the car woudln't really climb past 4500rpm, and began heating up VERY quickly, so we shut it down. Needless to say it was a failed run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FnYIh9zAOU

This is the second pull. We did this one in 3rd gear and the results were as they should be. The car had no trouble pulling whatsoever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uyVowBx-hE

Here's the dyno chart from the pull. My air fuel mixture is a bit off, but whenever I get brave enough to pull apart the carb and change the jets, I'll get that taken care of. Sorry about the hugeness of the pic, it's just hard to shrink a full piece of paper and still have it be legible.

http://localdomain.net/~john/pics/accord-dyno-pull-es2/accord.jpg

MessyHonda
09-08-2006, 08:16 AM
cool... i cant wait till i dyno mine...didnt you put in an A20 with a weber carb on our car?

2ndGenGuy
09-08-2006, 08:21 AM
cool... i cant wait till i dyno mine...didnt you put in an A20 with a weber carb on our car?

Not yet. It's still the stock engine. I've got the A20 engine, it's just in need of rebuild. I've sent in the cam to Colt Cams, just waiting to get it back, then the head is off to the machine shop...

bobafett
09-08-2006, 08:58 AM
u were in vancouver man, too bad, u should have let me know, i would have tried to come check it out!

how much did he charge for the dyno time?

2ndGenGuy
09-08-2006, 09:16 AM
u were in vancouver man, too bad, u should have let me know, i would have tried to come check it out!

how much did he charge for the dyno time?

Oh crap, yeah I will let you know next time I'm down. I'm planning on making another dyno run eventually.

He's a little expensive actually, it was $90. But he knows what he's doing. He's a real performance shop, not just cranking out bulk dynos. After my swap, I'm going to pay for him to Dyno-tune my carb. He actually helped me shed a lot of insight on tuning my carb as well. The AFM was nice to have.

bobafett
09-08-2006, 09:18 AM
yeah i ask because i need some baseline tuning done for my car. i would be willing to drive it out there cause its not that far for me.

i just need some basic timing/fuel pressure/safc tuning done... and i dont want to mess it up since i have so much going on with my motor. :)

$90 for 2 runs or what?

2ndGenGuy
09-08-2006, 09:25 AM
yeah i ask because i need some baseline tuning done for my car. i would be willing to drive it out there cause its not that far for me.

i just need some basic timing/fuel pressure/safc tuning done... and i dont want to mess it up since i have so much going on with my motor. :)

$90 for 2 runs or what?

He charges by the hour. I think it's $89/hr with a 1 hour minimum or something like that. It takes some decent time to get this stuff set up. I don't know how much ECU tuning he can do on a fuel injected Honda, since he mostly does V8 / Corvette / Hot Rod tuning. Though he did supercharge a PT Cruiser for somebody and was tuning it, so I don't see why he woudln't be able to do any other 4 cylinder.

I'd just give him a call and ask him. He's super friendly, very helpful, and a good guy to talk to on the phone. His info is above on the dyno chart.

Not sure where in Vancouver you live, but he's right on Highway 99, right off I-5 on the first exit as you come into Vancouver from the north. Just to give you an idea.

offthahook
09-10-2006, 08:45 PM
I have never seen an 84 Accord on a dyno. That was pretty cool just to see it winding up.

2ndGenGuy
09-11-2006, 07:49 AM
Aah man my webhost is toast. Guess I gotta move my webserver to my house... anyways yeah there was a dyno chart on there too. It was fairly interesting because it shows how little horsepower there is at the bottom end, and how all the peak torque was generated below 4k. Not that there's a lot of torque...

HondaBoy
09-11-2006, 02:20 PM
nice man. good sounding A18 there.