PDA

View Full Version : Looking at 88 Accord DX possible carb problem

my89dx
09-08-2006, 11:51 PM
Okay, well I went to take a look at this Accord DX with a very nice body and interior. He said he couldn't get it to start and stay running for more than 30 seconds. The guy thought it was the relay. I brought one with me and replaced it, and it still didn't hardly want to start. He said it wasn't getting fuel with the key on, and I took the line off of the carb and checked it, sure enough no fuel when the key was on, however when you are cranking its getting plenty of fuel. Come to find out it gets fuel when the key is on, but only for a second. I got it started and made the bitch run. I think its the carb. Reason being is that sometimes when its idling, it will just die. It sounds like its getting too much fuel when you listen to the carb. I also think that the choke isnt working and thats why I had to put my foot to the floor to get it started. It doesn't like to idle very much, but when it does it sounds really good. He only wants $200 for it, and he is willing to sell me a carb for it for $20 and that comes with a distributer. He also has a lot of records for it and from what I can tell its had this problem for a few years. Many machanics can't figure out what the problem is. I said that its either the carb or the ignition switch. Everything else is working. I had it running well enough to drive, it stalled a few times, but started back up each time. Sorry for the long post, so what do you guys think? Carb? I am gonna switch it out and see, and if thats not it, then I'm going for the ignition switch because I know that's what turns on the fuel pump in the first place. Please let me know what you guys think. I know with very little effort I could have this thing running good. It already does, I just want it to start easier. Thanks in advance.

Tailfin
09-12-2006, 10:00 PM
It's only supposed to spit out a little fuel with the key on. You can test it further by taking out the fuel cutoff relay. Then it should keep pumping out fuel. The fuel pressure should be 2.6 - 3.2 psi or so. If not, the fuel pump is likely at fault. Might be worth checking out the filters as well. But if it spits it out while cranking, it's not likely the ignition switch.

If the choke isn't working right, that can cause a mess of inconsistency. Make sure that when it's cold, the choke plate closes completely. If not, the vacuum won't be enough underneath to suck the initial fuel down without feathering the pedal. Make sure the marks on the choke cover (and thus, bimetallic spring) line up, and that the tab on the choke opener linkage seats against the body (opening the choke enough, basically) when it starts.

If it tends to stall after it's warmed up, check for any vacuum leaks. Spray carb cleaner on the hoses and such, and if you hear the engine change as it eats it up, then there's probably a leak there. Also, make sure the booster venturis are secure and don't wiggle. Check to make sure the float/fuel level is properly centered in the inspection window as well.

A20A1
09-13-2006, 04:54 PM
Before you kick the pump or ignition switch out clean all your battery cables and ground wires... espectially pay attention to the battery and the ground wire that connects to the thermosat housing because that will cause the car to stall once started.

Also there is a cut solenoid at the back of the carb that needs power in order to open the fuel passage.

I had trouble with my ignition switch one time but it was because I had a heavy key chain that ruined the thing.

ghettogeddy
09-13-2006, 05:02 PM
mine does the same thing but my throtle stop screw fell out and it idels untill the car warms up then i have to heal toe it but im so used to it that it dosent even bother me anymore but that will all go away when i do the FI swap

my89dx
09-14-2006, 03:34 PM
I ended up fixing it, it turns out it was a bad control module in the distributor. It runs like a dream now. It didn't have fuel OR SPARK. The guy said he checked for spark, but I don't think he ever did. He just assumed there was and never checked. There was nothing. So I took the dizzy that he had and put it in and the car fired right up like there was nothing wrong.