PDA

View Full Version : motor mounts/tranny mounts

powderkey2
09-09-2006, 01:05 PM
I've been looking for the tranny mounts and I'm not too sure where to look...couldn't find them in the manual.

I've broken 2 axles in 3 weeks. The motor seems to be moving some when I have the brake applied and shift through the gears. The front motor mount looks OK...no leaks. Side and torque mounts look ok so it may be the rear mount. Would a broken rear mount put extra weight on the axles...enough to break an axle. Any tips on replacing the rear mount?

powderkey2
09-09-2006, 03:07 PM
I can see how to remove one of the two mounting bolts and the one top bracket nut. Any suggestions on getting at the front side bolt? Anyone know where replacement instructions are in the manual?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
09-09-2006, 04:27 PM
If the rear mount is broken, the engine will move too much and cause your axles to bind up at a certain angle (the engine doesn't put "weight" on the axles). It would be helpful to explain which mount you want to remove. I've replaced every single one of them and only needed some long extensions to reach some bolts. Again, it would be nice to know which "manual" you are using so we can point you to the right section. There's Haynes, Chilton's, and the official Honda manual in .pdf format. HTH

powderkey2
09-09-2006, 06:11 PM
I was looking in the Honda Manual download but didn't see which chapter motor mount replacement fell.
Looking down from on top it looked like I could get a socket on the one of the two mount bolts and the top nut that attaches to the dogbone(?)...but looking like it would have to get the front bolt from under the car w/ a wrench.
Sorry...it's the rear mount I'm after.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
09-09-2006, 06:37 PM
When I replaced the rear mount, I reached the top nut using a long extension (with airbox removed). The two lower bolts were removed using a regular wrench. The bolts were rusty as hell on mine and took forever to get out. Be careful not to strip them or the threads in the subframe. Other than being a bit cramped, its not a horrible job. I belive the motor mounts are adressed in the engine removal and installation section of the manual. At least that's where the tightening procedure is.

AccordEpicenter
09-09-2006, 06:45 PM
make sure your bottom tranny mount is together and functional

powderkey2
09-10-2006, 01:20 PM
Well...ended w/ 3 broken mounts rear, side & front. All replaced and back on the road again...maybe this will stop breaking axles...

thanks for the help

BITESIZE
09-10-2006, 11:05 PM
Did you get the crossmember mount as well? If not you will be sorry.

powderkey2
09-11-2006, 08:45 AM
Crossmember mount? I replaced the rear motor mount, the drivers side motor mount and the front motor mount.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
09-11-2006, 12:21 PM
There is a rubber damper on the bottom of the transmission right below the flywheel. If you look straight up at the center of the engine/tranny, you should see rubber block that fits into a recessed metal piece. This piece helps control engine movement and is what bitesize is referring to. HTH

powderkey2
09-12-2006, 08:34 AM
Oh...gotta cha...that tranny mount seemed to be in ok condition...didn't appear broken.

Another question......

I still have some motor movement and alittle clunking noise what I engage the tranny. I just saw where there is a tightening procedure for the engine mounts and needless to say I didn't follow any...assuming negelecting this step cause this motor movement?