PDA

View Full Version : Fluids Thread

DDRaptor
09-09-2006, 08:02 PM
I have searched and searched.

But I want to make a thread where all you guys chip as to what fluids you guys run in your cars.

Engine Oil: Castrol Syntec 5-30 (my manual had 5-30 listed)
--I use gunk Engine Cleaner when i do oil changes
--And i also use restore 4 cylinder formula

Coolant: Prestone and only prestone no water.
--(i even use it in my water cooling kit in my pc :) )

Transsmisson: Coastal Dexron III ATF (boring auto)
--Have'nt found any better.

Brake Fluid: regular DOT3
--Have'nt found any specific brands.

Power Steering: ???

Washer FLuid: Valucraft 2.99 bottle with rain-x in it.

I just wanna get feedback from the masses to see what you guys are running.

AccordEpicenter
09-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Engine Oil: 10w-30 or 20w50 either mobil 1, mobil or valvoline

Coolant: Honda coolant

Transsmisson: Either honda MTF or gm syncromesh friction modified

Brake Fluid: honda

Power Steering: honda

Washer FLuid: cheapest i can find

ghettogeddy
09-09-2006, 08:49 PM
how well does the syncromesh mesh work i have to replace my whole tranny at the end of the month and its a 5 speed i just wan tsome thing that will make the new tranny shift smooth and last for a long time

MessyHonda
09-10-2006, 12:34 AM
I have searched and searched.
But I want to make a thread where all you guys chip as to what fluids you guys run in your cars.
Engine Oil: Castrol Syntec 5-30 (my manual had 5-30 listed)
--I use gunk Engine Cleaner when i do oil changes
--And i also use restore 4 cylinder formula
Coolant: Prestone and only prestone no water.
--(i even use it in my water cooling kit in my pc :) )
Transsmisson: Coastal Dexron III ATF (boring auto)
--Have'nt found any better.
Brake Fluid: regular DOT3
Power Steering: ???
Washer FLuid: Valucraft 2.99 bottle with rain-x in it.
I just wanna get feedback from the masses to see what you guys are running.

Engine oil: 5w30(i dont knoe wut brand but its wutever mazda uses since i get it for free)
coolent: shell type(like i said i get it free) i add water to it tho.
trans:havent changed the oil yet. but i would go with like 10w30? for manual
brake fluid:i have to put in my SE-i brakes and SS lines....then im flushing and converting to DOT4...more high performance
Power sterring: Honda brand
washer fluid: dollar store type...cant beat a buck for a gal and it work alright also.
gas 87 oct

A18A
09-10-2006, 01:05 AM
all i know about mine is

engine oil: (ill check tomorrow)
coolant: water
fuel: unleaded 91

DDRaptor
09-10-2006, 09:12 PM
water. damn you and your temprate weather, it gets plenty below freezing here.

A20A1
09-11-2006, 03:50 PM
mobil 1 - 20w50 15w40
valvoline

B&M trick shift in auto + mobil ATF

Some redish colored coolant... not sure what company that was.

Tailfin
09-11-2006, 04:22 PM
Eeep...Umm, this is probably subject to debate, but I would not advise using any oil additive, water only, or red coolant... Oil additives are mostly snake oils...most of the companies (STP, Castrol, etc...) have been through lawsuits to boot. They often brag of anti-friction additives, like PTFE (Polytetraflouroethylene), which is just teflon. Sure, great idea, except that teflon is a solid, which can clog filters, build up/damage main bearings, etc... Others, like Lucas, supposedly coat better, but they don't show you in their little gear demonstration that when it gets up to high speed, it "coats" better by getting air into the oil, and foaming up causing all sorts of inferior mess. Oils were needing help a long time ago, but the technology has come a long way, and most companies now have a blend of additives already in the oil. It's like a cake recipe... Putting the right amount of eggs in is good, but putting extra eggs in does not give you a good end result.

Running just water isn't a great idea because the antifreeze has anti-corrosive properties. I had a slow leak in my car, so until I got to fixing it, I poured water in this summer. Brand new radiator, and I already saw brown in it.

The red coolant is "dex cool," which is supposedly superior stuff, but I've heard that it can be harsh on seals and such, which is not cool :-P. I'm not positive on that one, but I don't see what you're getting that the green stuff doesn't give you.

jschatte
09-11-2006, 05:04 PM
Engine oil: 5W-30 Quaker State High Mileage
coolant: The cheap Canadian Tire stuff
transmission Fluid: Honda Manual Trans. Fluid
brake fluid: DOT 3
Power sterring: Normal oil (it leaks somethimes)

mavric240
11-14-2006, 09:04 AM
OK alot of information here but nothing really showing what Honda specs are. Most just opinions of what someone uses or is using. And one thing that has me puzzled is, who would ever think about using Dex-Cool in anything. Its crap in the GM's so what makes you think it would be any better in your Honda. A green fifty/fifty mix is the best overall for most climates. Change it once a year so that the mix does not turn corrosive. If you have the need to lower the fluid temp then use Royle Purple's Purple Ice or Red-line's Water Wetter and follow the instructions on the bottle to achieve the desired effect. Water boils and freezes faster alone. When mixed with green anti-freeze(EGly) you get a chemical reaction that reduces the fluid temp and keeps it from boiling and freezing. Basic chemistry!:violin:

Toneloc5145
11-14-2006, 09:48 AM
Engine Oil: 5W-30(as recommended in manual) Mobil Clean 5000
Coolant: 50/50 mix of whatever I see
Transmission Fluid: Regular 10W-30 Motor Oil (recommended by Haynes manual and Owners Manual)
Power Steering Fluid: Honda
Brake Fluid: Honda
Gas: Shell 87 octane

shepherd79
11-14-2006, 11:21 AM
engine oil: Mobil 10w40 (honda uses mobil oil, don't believe me, got to a dealer and ask for can of motor oil. look at the front label on the bottom. it says MOBIL.) No additives, never found that actually works.
Coolant: prestone. 70 (prestone)/30 (water) mix.
Transmission fluid: I have 5 speed so i use mobil 10w40. for auto, i wouldn't use anything but honda ATF.
Power steering: generic stuff made for HONDA. it will say right on the bottle.
Brake fluid: generic DOT3 works just fine.
Gas: which ever is cheaper. ones a month i run seafoam or B12 cleaner to make sure injectors are clean.
Washer Fluid: what ever is on sale in the summer and RainX in the winter.

visionguru
11-14-2006, 11:51 AM
engine oil: 5W30 Quake State high-mileage
Coolant: Advance Auto longlife (pre-mixed)
Transmission fluid: Penzoil Dexron III plus Honda HFM modifier.
Power steering: Honda PSF sold in Autozone & AdvanceAuto
Brake fluid: Valvoline Synpower Dot 3&4 premium fluid (much better than normal Dot 3).
Gas: BP 92
Washer Fluid: Water during summer, and whatever brand fluid in winter.

Tailfin
11-15-2006, 04:13 AM
Oops...forgot to mention what I actually use lol...anyhoo:

Engine Oil: Mobil1 Synthetic 5w-30 (this viscocity is in the service manual, as mentioned)
Tranny: Dexron III whatever brand. If I were rich, I might put synthetic, but nah..lol
Coolant: Like most, just 50-70/50 with the green stuff.
Power Steering: Valvoline
Brake: DOT-3 is all that matters to me.
Washer: Just the blue stuff. Don't use the bug removing stuff because it can harm your paint job.

Blkblurr
11-15-2006, 11:11 AM
Must not be anything to talk about if we are discussing what fluids we put in our cars. This belongs in a different forum.

smufguy
11-16-2006, 08:58 AM
Engine Oil: Mobil 7500 Syn Blend 10w-30 (+Engine Restore every other oil change)

Power Steering fluid: Honda

Coolant: Prestone + Distilled water

Brake Fluid: Prestone DOT4

Washer Fluid: SuperTech

Transmission fluid: Mobil 5000

Gas: BP/Sunoco/Mobil 87/89 Octane

snoopyloopy
11-19-2006, 03:47 PM
do you guys have an insights into the mobil one fully synth atf? will it work for our cars? although it is a bit pricey at $7/quart... and if that's not the answer, what's a good atf to use that i can get at an auto store?

russiankid
11-19-2006, 04:13 PM
Engine: Mobile One 10w30 Drive Clean 5000 with a Mobile One oil filter.
Coolant: Prestone, 50% water 50% coolant.
Transmission: Honda MTF
Brake Fluid: not sure, never changed
Power Steering: Honda Power Steering Fluid
Washer Fluid: Rainx

carotman
11-19-2006, 05:37 PM
In the B20A Sedan:
Engine oil: 5W40 Motul 8100
Coolant: Honda Brand or Prestone Pre-Mixed
Transmission fluid: Honda MTF
Power steering: Honda Brand
Brake fluid: Motul DOT4
Gas: Any 91 octane

In the A20A1 Hatch:
Engine oil: 5W30 Mobil 1
Transmission fluid: Honda ATF
Power steering: Honda Brand
Brake fluid: Regular Kleen-Flo Dot 3
Gas: Any 87 octane

In the D15B7 Civic:
Engine oil: 5W30 Mobil 1
Transmission fluid: Honda MTF
Power steering: N/A
Brake fluid: Regular Kleen-Flo Dot 3
Gas: Any 87 octane
------------------------------------------------------------------

Like it's been said before, running water only isn't recommended. You need anti-corrosion protection in the coolant or it will eat the engine block and radiators.

If you don't want any problem, stick with Honda stuff. It's not more expensive than the other ones out there and will ensure a trouble-free life :D

DDRaptor
11-19-2006, 08:13 PM
I second that question hows the mobil full syntheic enigine oil treating your engines.

MessyHonda
11-19-2006, 08:51 PM
I second that question hows the mobil full syntheic enigine oil treating your engines.

i used castrol...and it just leaked out faster...and at 4 buck a quart...im going back to the regular stuff....now i got to clean my engine bay..cuz its covered in oil.

carotman
11-20-2006, 08:42 AM
Mobil 1 has been fine so far. I can do more mileage on a single oil change. Sine I do alot of driving, this has been helpful in the last winter. I didn't need to change the oil in mid February and freeze my fingers.

Some people have experienced problems with full synthetic in their engines but it's only because the engine has a problem in the beginning. If oil is pouring out of the seals, replace the seals. The only seals that are a pain to replace are the rear main seal and the valve seals.

Anyway, with our old cars, it's normal to do some maintenance here and there. Just think ahead and replace stuff that might be problematic in the future. For example, I changed the T-Belt on the 87 hatch this week. I took the time to replace the front crank seal and the cam seal. They cost only a few bucks and are so easy to replace when the T-Belt is removed. That's the kind of job you don't want to do afterwards. Besides, the oil would ruin the T-Belt and you'd need to replace it again.

azazel_18_2
11-20-2006, 08:56 AM
Engine Oil: 10W30 Royal Purple Synthetic
Manual Transmission: Royal Purlpe Manual Transmission Fluid
Coolant: Typical Green Coolant for use in aluminum

Used synthetic oil before rebuild and it leaked out all of my seals. After rebuild sythetic is the only way to go. I don't see anywhere it says to use 5W30 in the engine. I see 10W30 or 10W40. My accord had an auto but I changed the fluid and didn't use Honda fluid and within a thousand miles my tranny started slipping. Honda ATF if the only way to go.

snoopyloopy
11-21-2006, 09:41 PM
do you guys have an insights into the mobil one fully synth atf? will it work for our cars? although it is a bit pricey at $7/quart... and if that's not the answer, what's a good atf to use that i can get at an auto store?
so my question still stands. and what do you guys think of this? one quart mobile 1 + one quart b&m trick shift + one quart of maybe honda hfm modifier?