PDA

View Full Version : Got an 88DX for $200 and it runs!

my89dx
09-09-2006, 08:40 PM
Okay, I had been looking at this one particular Accord Dx for about a week. I went out yesterday to check it out. Body isn't too bad, interior is perfect. When I went to take a look at it the guy said he couldn't get it to start. He said that it wasn't getting any fuel so he replaced the fuel pump. Well it wasn't the fuel pump. I initially thought it was the carburator. Well I had it running last night and it would on occasion die out for no reason, then be a royal pain in the a$$ to start back up. Got back to take it home today and it wouldn't start. No fuel whatsoever. He said that it must have blew the relay again. I got a thought to check and see if there was spark. Well there wasn't. So that gave me some ideas. I told him that he was chasing the wrong thing. I checked the coil, and replaced it. Still no spark. The only other thing I could think of was the control module in the distributor. BINGO! I replaced the distributor and he started right up with no hesitation. I was lucky enough that he had a parts car in his back yard that he told me to take whatever I needed. This thing runs like a dream. I had to adjust the timing and fix a few small things in order to get it to run right, but hey for $200 dollars I think it will work out. This thing doesn't even have a single mis-fire in it. I drove it home and it was a little gut-less, but I adjusted the timing and that took care of most of it. Are all of these automatics kinda slow? That's the one thing I dislike. But it runs and runs great. I say its a $200 dollar STEAL!!!

ghettogeddy
09-09-2006, 08:52 PM
great buy to bad its a dx and not a lxi thought but ha ive only spent 300 a peice for both my lx's and there still going well mine isent but it still runs(blown tranny)

my89dx
09-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Yea I wish it were a LXi. Yeah that's what happened to my 89 is the trans went and it cracked the trans case because the bearings went out and in turn killed both CVs and ruined the carburator! But this 88 for being carburated I had no idea that they could run as smooth as this on does. I was like WOW!

ghettogeddy
09-09-2006, 09:49 PM
ya im in the process of doing the oilpan gasket on my 89 and like i said ill be swapping the tranny in my 88 at then end of the month im also doing a fi swap in my 88

MessyHonda
09-09-2006, 10:56 PM
cool nice price I also have a 88dx and love it.....its also auto....nothing wrong with it.....i also got a Lx-i that is manual....like i said i love both of my cars...but the dx is giving me probs passing smog.....i took some pics and il post them up in a bit.

my89dx
09-09-2006, 11:12 PM
So are all the carb'd autos kinda gutless and not wanting to downshift unless you floor it completely? I am thinking the TV cable needs adjusted because the shifts are firm, and it won't downshift until it totally HAS to. What do you guys think? Other than that it seems okay so far. Tomorrow is the real test, I am taking it out to my dads which is like 30 miles one way, so I want to see if its as good as the ol' 89.

Pico
09-09-2006, 11:16 PM
I'd say yes to adjusting the cable, mine was doing the same thing and the cable had way too much slack in it

my89dx
09-10-2006, 12:03 AM
That's what I am going to take a look at tomorrow. I just have a feeling that its out of adjustment. For example, going down the freeway, it has a hell of a time downshifting. It won't downshift until my foot it firmly planted in the carburator! I have never driven an automatic accord until now, so I didn't know how they were supposed to behave. I would imagine once I get everything set, it will have a good amount of pickup. My 89 was pretty quick, but this 88 runs a hell of a lot better so I am hoping to get better results. Thanks for the reply.