PDA

View Full Version : differences in auto/manual ECU's?

newaccorddriver
09-10-2006, 02:35 PM
i just picked up a P06 from an automatic civic Dx. i know that people usually convert them to a P28 or something and then put hondata or chrome or something into them. is there any differences between the automatic and the manual ones which makes it so they cant be interchangable?

carotman
09-10-2006, 04:48 PM
THe Auto P06 has solenoid drivers from the auto trans that can be used to convert to a P28 (Vtec)

That's about it.

You could use it in your Accord for an OBD-1 conversion without problem.

newaccorddriver
09-10-2006, 07:47 PM
then why is it that people frown upon an automatic P06 saying it cant be used?

im planning on running megasquirt, but if somebody figures out an easy way for me to mod a distributor for the A20 head, then i might just go OBD1 instead

EDIT: so are you saying the manual ones that dont have the solenoids for the transmissions cant be converted to a P28?

carotman
09-10-2006, 08:30 PM
The manual ones can be converted. It's just that the Auto ones happen to have most of the hardware already present for a P28 conversion. No need to source hard to find parts.

I don't know where you've heard that the Auto P06 are useless but to me they are even better than the manuals :p

Here's what you need to do to convert your P06 to Manual (some ECU versions may vary tough)

1- remove RP17 and RP18 (small 1/8w resistors located at the bottom right corner)
2- replace RP18 with a jumper wire (or a 0ohm resistor)

You can then remove the drivers at IC15 and IC16 (sk5050) and use them for a P28 conversion :p You could leave them in place tough.

http://www.pgmfi.org/twiki/pub/Library/OBD1CivicIntegraAutoManual/OBD1auto_manual.jpg

BTW, all the info is there for you:
www.pgmfi.org (http://www.pgmfi.org/twiki/bin/view/Library/OBD1CivicIntegraAutoManual)

newaccorddriver
09-10-2006, 09:19 PM
thanks for letting me know the ECU is gold carotman:)

TWOLOUDNPROUD
09-10-2006, 09:51 PM
carotman was the Pk2/Ph3 rom?