PDA

View Full Version : 89 Lxi hatchback exhaust is done, what next

AlfredoPDX
09-11-2006, 09:43 PM
hey everyone i have an 89 lxi hatch, which i have already put on a weapon r intake, pacesetter catback, and spoon sport cat, i am wondering what i should do next if my ultimate goal is to turbo the car? i am wondering if it can be done to the stock engine or if i should be looking for a swap, and if anyone has a guess on how much i will be looking at spending?

A20A1
09-11-2006, 10:48 PM
There has been a great deal of discussion over many many years about intakes... We pretty much have settled on An integra cold air intake and K&N filter as being both cheaper then the Weapon R and more effective as a cold air, although you can always remove pipe and still have a short ram if that is what you prefer.

Weapon R is honestly a rip off. It's a half-ass product which everyone else is selling for $15 or less only difference is weapon R puts on some fancy plastic bits over a midgit sized filter.

You should take a look at the turbo section and read the threads there, your questions have been answered before so you should be able to find them readily.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37169

You'll spend how much you spend... I mean some parts can be had cheap but then you'll be taking a chance that they are quality parts. The motor you have should be in good condition first before you turbo to help trouble shooting down the road, so a rebuild should be done. You can toss the Weapon R filter when you go turbo... you'll want a much bigger filter to take in more air, possibly a K&N but if it's true the oil gets sucked out of the filter on a turbo car then maybe an different filter style. Baiscly unless you do a remote mount turbo near the muffler, you'll be installing the turbo in the engine bay, so you should get larger 2.5" exhaust.

snoopyloopy
09-12-2006, 06:43 AM
sell the pacesetter catback and get a custom-built exhaust with 2.5 inch or larger piping. otherwise, you might end up choking the turbo. and the question is how much time do you want to spend, how much money do you want to spend, and how much power do you want? you can turbo the a20 and get probably 200-230 hp. and all that for under $2000. you can locate a b20a and turbo that and probably get around 300 hp. the most expensive and time-consuming part of that will be locating the b20a. otherwise, turboing it will be around the same cost as an a20. but both of those engines will require you to figure out how you're gonna manage it. you can do like wicked_accord and drop a b-series in then turbo it. he's spent $15,000+, although all that cost may not have been in the turbo kit and the b18 itself. you can be the second or third person to sport an h22-powered 3g and see if you want to try to turbo that. or you can be the first person to get a k-powered 3g and turbo that. but the h22 will probably run you somewhere around $10,000 and a k-series will probably push you near $15,000. at which point you have to ask yourself how much money do you want to sink into this vehicle. because $10,000 is 5 times the average value of a 3g and if you crash, you're screwed.

ghettogeddy
09-12-2006, 06:54 AM
sounds like its a ebay car

MessyHonda
09-12-2006, 08:01 AM
justin said that he turbo'ed his stock engine to 8psi...i think that is around the limit for a stock engine. anyways i would do a compression test on the engine and to check the condition that its in. then talk about turbo.....like snoopyloop said its a mater of how much you want to spend on you car.

snoopyloopy
09-12-2006, 08:14 AM
justin said that he turbo'ed his stock engine to 8psi...i think that is around the limit for a stock engine. anyways i would do a compression test on the engine and to check the condition that its in. then talk about turbo.....like snoopyloop said its a mater of how much you want to spend on you car.
they say that the stock a20 is good for probaby about 10-12 psi on a good tune. but that good of a tune might be a pain for a daily.

AlfredoPDX
09-12-2006, 11:10 AM
sorry im not too familiar with th engine names, is the a20 the stock engine?

MessyHonda
09-12-2006, 11:16 AM
sorry im not too familiar with th engine names, is the a20 the stock engine?

yeah that engine came in the 84-87 lude and the 86-89 accord.

Listen2myBASS
09-12-2006, 11:39 AM
yes, and you have an a20a3

shepherd79
09-12-2006, 01:35 PM
hey everyone i have an 89 lxi hatch, which i have already put on a weapon r intake, pacesetter catback, and spoon sport cat, i am wondering what i should do next if my ultimate goal is to turbo the car? i am wondering if it can be done to the stock engine or if i should be looking for a swap, and if anyone has a guess on how much i will be looking at spending?

before you do turbo you have a lot of researching to do. It is not that easy, and no one makes kits.
good luck.

AlfredoPDX
09-16-2006, 11:18 AM
hey thanks for the insight, i know its not just that easy, but i want to get a feel for what needs to be done.