PDA

View Full Version : q: valve seals?

davke
09-12-2006, 12:40 PM
then i was rebuilding my b series engine, i checked that there can't be oil (i am wrong?) , maybe a little, in the valve seals areas! so, is it possible that the old or cheap seals can let in some oil? i am asking couse i don't know to change me it or not, i put there some cheaps seals :(

shepherd79
09-12-2006, 01:33 PM
there is a way to screw them up when you install them.
does your exhaust smokes? and what color?

davke
09-12-2006, 10:54 PM
oil is disappearing quite slow i guess. one time when i start my cold engine in the morning in the mirror i saw something like smoke, when i played with an accelerator until ~5k rpm and there weren't any smoke. Then i remember that i put some cheap valve seals.so is it possible that they stoped working after 6-7 months?

shepherd79
09-13-2006, 05:02 AM
yeah, it is possible. did you rebuild the cylinder head?

carotman
09-13-2006, 06:35 AM
Smoke at startup in the morning is a definitive sign of worn valve seals. However, I had that happen on my old A20A and it disappeared magicaly?!?! I don't know what happened.

Oil runs down the valve guide and basicaly sits on top of the valve or drips down the cylinder. When you start the car, this exces oil is burned. When the engine is actually running, the oil leak isn't important enough to cause any smoke.

I doubt that crappy seals will leak after like 6 months. Maybe the valve was worn a little bit and the seal barely prevented the leak. Now that is has seated properly, it might leak. This is pure speculation tough.

88Accord-DX
09-13-2006, 07:06 PM
If you want to change the crappy seals out with good ones. Turn the crankshaft till the piston is at the top on that particular cylinder. Then you can remove the keeper, valve spring. (easier than removing the head)

Edit- You will need to remove the cam & timing belt.

88Accord-DX
09-13-2006, 07:06 PM
dp....

davke
09-14-2006, 04:24 AM
i didn't rebuild my head becouse the valves were sitting perfect and did't make any leak.