PDA

View Full Version : I have a auto tranny question

my89dx
09-12-2006, 08:34 PM
Ok here's the deal. I just want to know if this is normal behavior for this car. I already searched. I have an 88 DX with an auto. I had to make some adjustments to the cable because it wasn't shifting right, well it was shifting at very high rpms and too often. Well I have it where it shifts very nice, but I want to know if its normal for an automatic while going down the freeway doing around 55-65 to kinda like drop a gear when you let off the gas? Its kinda like when you are on the gas it has like a half-gear that it shifts out of. You have 3rd and then you have 4th, and its like when you let off the gas it is in a different gear, then when you press on the gas enough it goes into 4th. Its not slipping, I know that much. What I think is going on is the converter isnt locking up right because I might not have the cable adjusted right. Its like if anyone has a Ford with an AOD in it and when you go from 3rd to OD it has a higher RPM for a second then it goes into 4th. What do you guys think? Maybe its out of adjustment just a little? It didn't do this until I adjusted it. I am thinking its out of adjustment. I am also going to check the transmission fluid (and hopefully not burn my hand off in the process). If that's not the cause I am going to have to move the adjusting bold a few turns and see what's up. The transmission shifts fine in all other gears including 4th, but it just has that issue and I was wondering if it was normal. Sorry for the long post, but I want you guys to be able to understand what its doing. It only increases maybe like 50rpm then it drops down. It does it everytime I let off the gas then step back on it. Its very light when it does it, and it doesn't slip so I don't understand if that's normal, like the shop manual said if you don't have enough throttle pressure on it, the lockup won't function, so I am wondering if that's the case. Okay, thanks for reading my book and I hope this is normal so I don't have to screw with it, because it shifts very nice. Please tell me its normal. Thank you.

my89dx
09-13-2006, 03:46 AM
bump

shepherd79
09-13-2006, 05:01 AM
when was the oil changed last time in the tranny?
you may want to do full flush.

my89dx
09-13-2006, 12:21 PM
That's kinda what I was thinking it needed. It doesn't slip or anything like that, it just at the cruising speed it does it. Not to mention if I have my foot on the gas it won't do it, its only when I let off and get back on the gas. That's one thing I know I need to get done is a flush because the car sat for 8 months before I got it. Thanks for the advice.

my89dx
09-13-2006, 01:45 PM
I took the car down to a shop to be looked at, and they told me that what its doing it totally normal. It's the lockup on the converter engaging when I step on the gas, and when I let up it disengages. From what he said the Honda auto is more like a 5 speed auto. I took it down to Honda so I trust what they are saying. He said the transmission is in very good shape, it just needs a good flush because the fluid is a little dirty. Like I said, it shifts really smooth otherwise and he drove it and said it was normal. He said that they all are supposed to do that if they are adjusted correctly. I guess I adjusted it right :)

shepherd79
09-13-2006, 02:13 PM
still take it to a shop for a full fluid flush.

my89dx
09-13-2006, 07:36 PM
Oh yeah its gonna get that done because I KNOW it needs it. Besides, I want it to be at its best "health" and I don't feel like trying to track down a good transmission all because I didn't change the fluid. I am most likely going to take it to the dealer to be changed or a shop that works with hondas as a specialty. I want to make sure they put the Honda fluid in the transmission, not the regular Dexron/Mercron. I have read many posts where people suggest the Honda fluid, even the shop I took it to recommended that I put the Honda type fluid in it or it will burn up the converter clutches. Don't want that !!

2oodoor
09-14-2006, 02:43 PM
never trust anybody

Oh on the shifting in and out at about 58 mph like you were letting off, I keep hearing thats is normal, well yea to a certain degree it does, but adjusting the cable again, just about the size of a hair on a pigs ass, and you can get that out, it worked on mine ,, also make sure your cable is lying unbinded in teh engine compartment, secured every place the factory did and your gas pedal, floormat area is really clear and clean. sounds crazy , think what you want, mine shifts awesomely does not wander around OD , taht annoys the crap otta me. A pain in the ass thing about these cars is the reaction of the plastics, they seem to change with weather and with the ambient temp... wierd again, well I know my car pretty good now , things plastic with change with temp.as will the adjustments for all your cables also put a little water proof grease on the socket at the trans cable seat, yes its hard as hell to get to unless you take batt out. dont forget to bolt battery down when your done folks,
SEARCH THE FORYM

my89dx
09-14-2006, 03:39 PM
The only way I get to it is to remove the battery box. I kinda figured it needed an adjustment. It shifts like a brand new trans otherwise, I would rather it not search for a gear to go into, drives me mad. Its a good runner/driver but have some issues to work out. What do you expect for a car that was $200? Not a bad deal. Just want everything to be right.

BITESIZE
09-14-2006, 03:45 PM
Auto's suck, I'm glad I don't have one anymore. I had 3 auto hatches before, one is now a 5 speed. I recommend switching to a 5 speed.