PDA

View Full Version : Bondo and extra primer

BITESIZE
09-13-2006, 09:15 PM
BONDO PRO'S

My question is...

If the bondo work is about 80% good on my car, can I use a little extra primer to fill in the little divets and scratches and then wet sand it to look 100%. I'm testing it out and it looks great. But will the extra primer hold up. It is Duplicolor Sandable primer. :)

MessyHonda
09-13-2006, 09:25 PM
yeah...you have to prime the car 2 times....after the first prime you sand it with 180 and then you prime again.

BITESIZE
09-13-2006, 09:35 PM
I remember a while back, my friend said you can buy a primer that is really thick that does the same job as bondo. It was like 7k? or something like that

MessyHonda
09-13-2006, 09:41 PM
yeah i reprimed my hood since i had chips and lil holes like you said....i sanded it down with 180-220 grit paper and had it smoth like a babies bottom...then shot some more primer and i did like 3-4 layers of primer. i used the real deal stuff that you have to put a activator. so far it has held up good...i wash my car every week since i hate dirt or birdcraps even on the primer. like i said primer is not 100% water proof but for me it has held up well.

BITESIZE
09-13-2006, 09:50 PM
Are you talking about the "real stuff with the activater" as in....Dupont or PPG professional primer you shoot with a HVLP gun?

MessyHonda
09-13-2006, 09:55 PM
Are you talking about the "real stuff with the activater" as in....Dupont or PPG professional primer you shoot with a HVLP gun?

i think it was featherfill...i used like 32oz....and yeah i sprayed it with a SATA gun with 1.7mm opening...oh yeah it was all done in a booth.

BITESIZE
09-13-2006, 09:57 PM
I just bought a HVLP gun today. Do you use different opening for primer and paint.

That primer is PPG K-36 Primer

MessyHonda
09-13-2006, 10:00 PM
I just bought a HVLP gun today. Do you use different opening for primer and paint.
That primer is PPG K-36 Primer

yeah.....i have to check my autobody notes...im not sure if it was a 1.4 or 1.7 for primer...il get back to you tomorrow.

BITESIZE
09-13-2006, 10:03 PM
BTW, I'm not a total retard, I've just never been shown how to do this and it's quite hard to read something, remember it, and try to do it on your own. Body work is about 50 times harder than I thought it would be, but I want it perfect so that's why it is so much harder to me. P.S. my nozzle is 1.4 mm.