PDA

View Full Version : transmission

buttaz1
09-14-2006, 09:11 PM
what up i have a 89 accord sedan that has been past down from my grand pop to my dad and to me but as karma would have it i need a new trans mine is so shot. hhere is the prob im low in cash and i need to find a trans that is good but cheap i look on the net every day and i cant find a trans below a gran is this normal? i have a 5 speed manual i read somewhere that i can do a teggy swap and i was wondering if there is any benefits to this
any help or comments are welcome:welcome: <<<<see

MessyHonda
09-14-2006, 09:44 PM
well you can get one at the junkyard for like 100 bucks....you can switch out gears from the 1st gen teg...that would just make the car faster. also remember to replace your flywheel and clutch.

buttaz1
09-15-2006, 05:58 AM
yea i was thinkinh about a dual friction clutch. my car is completly stock i am planning on doing engine work. about the flyweel what a good flywheel ? and the trans do you mean i should gut my tranns and replace it with a teg internal or should i replace the whole trans mission? and sorry bout all the friggin questions but since my car is completly stock is it even worth it ? i gatta get a tranny anyway so?
thanks for the help

MessyHonda
09-15-2006, 07:36 AM
yea i was thinkinh about a dual friction clutch. my car is completly stock i am planning on doing engine work. about the flyweel what a good flywheel ? and the trans do you mean i should gut my tranns and replace it with a teg internal or should i replace the whole trans mission? and sorry bout all the friggin questions but since my car is completly stock is it even worth it ? i gatta get a tranny anyway so?
thanks for the help

well if its stock you will only see that your car picks up faster since the gears are shorter in the integra. some people take the flywheel to a machine shop and shave some weight off so the car can rev faster. if you plan on making it a fast car you would go with the integra 1-4 gears and keep the accord 5th so you still get a good mpg.

snoopyloopy
09-15-2006, 03:08 PM
be advised that a teggy tranny will not bolt on to your accord engine. but if for some reason, you can't find an accord unit in the jy, a tranny from an a20 prelude will (someone correct me if i'm wrong). the accord/teg hybrid tranny is a transmission rebuild, so make sure you get a haynes manual for both cars and feel comfortable taking a tranny apart. and yeah, get your lower gears from the integ and higher gears from the accord dx for the best mileage and acceleration combo possible.

ghettogeddy
09-15-2006, 03:28 PM
ha snoopy im gona be redoing my trany after i get my new one in is there anything better then the teggy gears to put in

snoopyloopy
09-15-2006, 03:50 PM
maybe the 2g lude gears. though they had the same engine, they might be a little more sport tuned. idk how they compare to the teggy gears, though. and i don't know if the teggy gears have different ratios for the different models either. someone in the know enlighten us, because i think i'll put in a hybrid tranny when i do my 5 speed swap and i want the best launch and mileage combo possible.

edit: here's a link to a site with the 1g teg gear ratios. our ratios should be around here somewhere. and if someone has the 2g prelude ratios, then we'll be in business. i was browsing preludepower.com and apparently the 1.8 engine has the best or most sporty gears for the 2g prelude. maybe rjudgey can help us here. but i did find a thread that could be informative there.
teg specs: http://www.acuraworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66263
preludepower.com thread: http://preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204242

ghettogeddy
09-15-2006, 04:42 PM
so any gears will fit its just witch ones to choose or is it certin years and models

maybe we should make a new thread

snoopyloopy
09-15-2006, 10:11 PM
all gears from an a20 transmission should fit. gears from an a18 tranny may fit. and the gears from the d16a1 teg tranny are the ones we're after. they should fit as well. and there's already a thread on the hybrid info. here it be: http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7387

buttaz1
09-15-2006, 10:28 PM
i love this forum. makes me some what smarter
ok this is the master plan since my tranny is missing 5 and reverse gears and im tired of looking for the replacement trans i am going to take it to get rebuilt what em i looking at 500 buxz parts and labor maybe? and if some one was so kind to tell me exacly what to do as far as what to request. i tried reading that post but i cant make heads or tails of what im looking at. and if any one has a trans for my accord pm with some prices id rather have a car to get me to point a and b then back then wait for a fast setup

snoopyloopy
09-16-2006, 08:02 AM
$500 may be a nice price, but be prepared to pay upwards of $1000. especially if you're missing 5th and reverse gear. that's why so many of our cars end up in the junker. something like the tranny goes that costs as much to fix as the car is worth so they say screw it. but be sure to pull that ultra-rare a20 first! :lol:

buttaz1
09-16-2006, 08:10 AM
lol ok i have found used trannies out there thats how i got my 2nd one but shit thats a alot of money a gran. anyway i bought my used tranny a year ago and 5 and r went i had it les a year so that why im a lil reluctant to buy a used one again. ok so this is what im think since i need a car you think it would be wise to buy a used one and then save up and then in due time i can get the internals of the teg engine and then my old tranny and have it rebuilt? with those internals? and has any one done this with great results i know there is a how-to guide but i want to know if its been done?

snoopyloopy
09-16-2006, 08:25 AM
yeah, sounds like a good plan. get a used tranny and put it on and slush around on that for awhile. meanwhile, be rebuilding your old one. but don't try to buy teg tranny internals seperately unless you're buying them new. you can probably pick up a teg tranny at any jy for around $100 or so. and all you really need is the tranny, not the clutch or flywheel or shift linkage or anything like that.

buttaz1
09-16-2006, 09:32 AM
which is a betta though buy the internals new or buy the whole tranny and remove the internals? i dont know how to take that out so if i buy a teg trany and take both trans to the shop they are ganna charge me to take them apart right? so wouldnt it be mybe the same price as getting all new internals? if so i might just get all new parts because seems more reliable?

ghettogeddy
09-16-2006, 10:43 AM
thats what i was wounderng if im gona rebuild my tranny i might as well get new gears and not ld ones so tat puts us with the option of better gears like aftermarket

snoopyloopy
09-16-2006, 07:34 PM
which is a betta though buy the internals new or buy the whole tranny and remove the internals? i dont know how to take that out so if i buy a teg trany and take both trans to the shop they are ganna charge me to take them apart right? so wouldnt it be mybe the same price as getting all new internals? if so i might just get all new parts because seems more reliable?
how much money do you want to spend? and how mechanically inclined are you? because yes, they'll charge you at a shop. but with a haynes manual for a 3g accord and a 1g teg, you should be able to disassemble, clean, and rebuild a tranny if you label everything really well. taking pictures as you go along will go a long way in the help department as well. and if you get the tranny from a jy, it'll end up being cheaper to buy the tranny as a whole than to buy the pieces of it seperately. (that goes for anything in the jy. if you need something, the more assembled it is, the cheaper it costs to you.) and by disassembling it, you may find that you don't even need new internals. or if you do, you only have to order what you need unless you want to just get them all brand new. also, while they're out, you might be able to get the parts cryo treated to strengthen them a bit. and i was kinda lost at the end of your post. are you saying that have a shop do the hybrid rebuild would be the same price as buying new stock parts and putting them in yourself?

thats what i was wounderng if im gona rebuild my tranny i might as well get new gears and not ld ones so tat puts us with the option of better gears like aftermarket
ha, aftermarket. :lol: there's about as much aftermarket for the 1g teg as there is for us. although i think there is a company who makes aftermarket gears for the 2g prelude which you can probably toss in there in the rebuild.

ghettogeddy
09-16-2006, 08:12 PM
how much money do you want to spend? and how mechanically inclined are you? because yes, they'll charge you at a shop. but with a haynes manual for a 3g accord and a 1g teg, you should be able to disassemble, clean, and rebuild a tranny if you label everything really well. taking pictures as you go along will go a long way in the help department as well. and if you get the tranny from a jy, it'll end up being cheaper to buy the tranny as a whole than to buy the pieces of it seperately. (that goes for anything in the jy. if you need something, the more assembled it is, the cheaper it costs to you.) and by disassembling it, you may find that you don't even need new internals. or if you do, you only have to order what you need unless you want to just get them all brand new. also, while they're out, you might be able to get the parts cryo treated to strengthen them a bit. and i was kinda lost at the end of your post. are you saying that have a shop do the hybrid rebuild would be the same price as buying new stock parts and putting them in yourself?

ha, aftermarket. :lol: there's about as much aftermarket for the 1g teg as there is for us. although i think there is a company who makes aftermarket gears for the 2g prelude which you can probably toss in there in the rebuild.
i figured teg = aftermarket support my bad for thinking lol

buttaz1
09-16-2006, 08:57 PM
ok so if i grow sum nads and do this what tools do i need like do i need any of those air tools you know? what im talking bout?

snoopyloopy
09-16-2006, 09:06 PM
probably a standard socket set for starters. and usual tranny work tools and lots of patience. look in the haynes manual for what tools they say you need. also check the thread at this link (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7387). and lots of sandwich bags + labels for putting parts in and labeling them so you can put the shit back together again.

buttaz1
09-16-2006, 10:19 PM
ok damn this sucks i found out that im not ganna get this job man so now im force to cut my planns and grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr i just wanna kill some one
anyway i am going to just buy any friggin clutch on ebay and i am going to the junk yard to get a damn trans. im sooo mad right now i had high hopes

snoopyloopy
09-16-2006, 10:45 PM
if you got a new clutch earlier this year, unless you like to drive with your foot on the clutch or you're just on the road all the time, you shouldn't need a new clutch. just pick up a new gear box.

buttaz1
09-16-2006, 11:03 PM
no im pretty much on the road alot i also tend to chirp the tires so yea i did burn my clutch out though well i managed to save it but it will burn pretty soon so what the hell right? anyway i know i did cuz there was one night that my gurl pissed me off so got in the cord and not purposly but it happend i did like a squeliing mess crazy anyway umm i smelt rubber or sutin so i just held the clutch in for a lil bit and then started to drive normal and the clutch stoped slipping so i need a cluth and a trans my mechanic thinks i may need a resurface fly wheel

buttaz1
09-16-2006, 11:39 PM
dude if the trans comes off a lxi and i have a dx it doesnt matta right? i should be able to use it right?

buttaz1
09-16-2006, 11:54 PM
i think i might have some luck though i found a guy on ebay that has a hb lxi it need alot of work and well i need a couple things so hopefully the guy will sell me the whole car. mybe good will come of this hopefully man because if the tranny is good i have myself a tranny and whole friggin car. with a lxi motor so i can choose to do a swapp or fix that hb up. anyway lets see i dont wanna get to over zelus

snoopyloopy
09-17-2006, 12:36 AM
i saw an accord engine + tranny combo for $100 on ebay when i was on a little while ago. i don't know how shipping would be for you, though. and yes, the gearing is slightly different between the different models, but any 86-89 accord tranny will work on any 86-89 accord.

buttaz1
09-17-2006, 07:29 AM
ok but since the gearing is slightly different will that matta like will the accord waste more gas then anythinge then before? and i saw that too but imma wait till i come back from work before i do anything cuz who knows this guy might just want a 100 bucks for the whole car you know? and if so then i got me a whole car to play around wit. if he doesnt then theres anther accord around my house its black or something the guy wants 600 but if the car looks shit you know i dont think it has rust spots but i dont know. the only way ill pay 600 is if its a lxi

snoopyloopy
09-17-2006, 09:32 PM
dx have the best gears for mpg while the lx-i/se-i gears are a little more sportier. but nothing too drastic. at least not from what i've heard.