PDA

View Full Version : Oil pump question

russiankid
09-15-2006, 07:13 PM
i was just wondering how long do the oil pumps last? or how many miles?

1ajs
09-15-2006, 07:22 PM
still has the origonal oil pump in mine.... and points to my sig

newaccorddriver
09-15-2006, 07:42 PM
heres an even better question, how do you know if an oil pumps going?

88Accord-DX
09-15-2006, 07:55 PM
There are many oil pumps. The shaft-driven oil pump, the belt driven, the gear driven, the crankshaft driven.
There is two basic types of oil pumps, the rotary type & gear.

Most oil pumps go out from lack of maintenance & part failure. (oil seals & main bearing wear)

There is no life of the oil pump. To check oil pressure on a old engine, put a mechanical oil pressure tester in the oil pressure sending hole. A mechanical oil pressure gauge is more precise than any "idiot" light on the dash!

russiankid
09-15-2006, 08:16 PM
There are many oil pumps. The shaft-driven oil pump, the belt driven, the gear driven, the crankshaft driven.
There is two basic types of oil pumps, the rotary type & gear.
Most oil pumps go out from lack of maintenance & part failure. (oil seals & main bearing wear)
There is no life of the oil pump. To check oil pressure on a old engine, put a mechanical oil pressure tester in the oil pressure sending hole. A mechanical oil pressure gauge is more precise than any "idiot" light on the dash!that explains it, thanks

Oldblueaccord
09-15-2006, 08:45 PM
On my car around the 150k mark I started to get a little rattle on cold start up. I attributed this to age miles and that I was parking with the car up hill. I didnt notice this as much on level ground in my garage.

At some point around the 200k mark I changed the oil pump I think I did when I did the timing belt . Guess what? no more rattle ever. hot cold and in between. I added in an oil pressure guage as well so I dont have any before or after numbers but I guess the rotor clearances must have started to loosen up for some reason.

If you dont have any rattle noise and your pressure is within spec I wouldnt worry about it unless you have a chance to chane it.

And the one I used to replace it leaked after about 30k miles and I had to replace it this time with a Honda part. Autozone would not honor the lifetime warrenty like they had when I origianlly bought it. it caused me a lotta of problems since I thought it was the front seal and I ended up changing that 2-3 times before I went and changed the pump.

wp