PDA

View Full Version : How Good Does a 1985 Honda Accord SEi EFI is?

Mario Calero
09-16-2006, 07:35 PM
Well, First of all, I own a Third Gen Honda Accord LX Carbed ( 1987 ), somebody here in Managua is selling or exchanging an old Honda Accord 1985 SEi EFI, I just went to see it and when I took a look under the hood, I saw a big and neat motor Fuel Injected 1.8 12 valves, four cylinders in mint condition, though the car does not have a sporty look like mine ( 1987 Accord ), I liked this is a SEI 1985 with EFI, I really would like to know how good are these motors and cars in general.

The guy is exchanging this car for a portable of about 800 dollars, the car needs about 500 dollars to have a neat look, I just want to know, is this a good bargain, considering the motor is in neat condition?

Thanks in advance.

Mario Calero
Managua

Civic Accord Honda
09-16-2006, 07:53 PM
thats a good deal id go for it if i where you
but thats just my 2cents

A18A
09-16-2006, 07:56 PM
thats around a alright price i supose, most 3geez only go around $500 or less, but finding one with a engine in good condition is a bit hard, i say go for it. at least you will have 2 and you could use 1 for parts or something

2ndGenGuy
09-17-2006, 02:03 AM
Yeah man. Those cars are little sleepers. They're actually damn quick from what I hear. 101hp and 108lbft or something like that. I might just bet on an 85 SEi over a fuel injected 3g. I think it would be really close anyways. The 2gs are a bit lighter than the 3gs. And the 2g SEi's are VERY rare.

So what color is it, gray or the burgundy color? The grey ones are money, but even more rare.

I would say the motors are great. It's basically an early version of the A20 engine. The block is pretty much the same, just with smaller displacement, and a CVCC head. Actually, I don't know if the SEi is CVCC or not, but the carb'd version is for sure. My carb'd engine has 276,000 miles and I beat the living crap out of it. I red line it all the time, drive it as hard as it will go all the time. Just keep it maintained and you'll run forever. I'd bet the ES3 is even more reliable with the fuel injection.

Buy it and you'll be one of the first on the forum with a 2g SEi as far as I know.

w261w261
09-17-2006, 03:50 AM
There was an 80-something one for sale on eBay a few months ago, real cherry. Went for something like 1200.

MessyHonda
09-17-2006, 07:34 AM
my friend had a 85 se-i but he sold it for 700 with 184k i got to say it keeped up with my carbed 3gee.....

carotman
09-17-2006, 08:30 AM
The SE-i isn't CVCC. At least we didn't get any CVCC in Canada so I may be wrong. I don't think that honda made any EFI CVCC engines. The 85 SE-i had basicaly a A18A. The EFI system is the same as the 86-87 Accords/Preludes so it's quite reliable.

Mario Calero
09-18-2006, 05:27 AM
Thank you for your kind answer, I think I'll go for it.

The car runs well and it sounds to me like a good bargain since I'm giving for her no more than 500 dollars in a trade.

However, I love my 3gee, but it is carbed, when I first though of getting it, it as because I have this "crazy" idea of changing this wonderful EFI motor to my Carbed 3geez, I don't know if this is possible but I assume it would be too difficult or pointless.

However, everybody says that for low gas consumption EFI is better than Carburator, and this 85SEI has a whole EFI system and all other parts ready to provide the parts I need.

Is it a crazy idea to interchange the old 1985 EFI system into my old 1987 3gee Carbed accord, is it a crazy idea?, considering both cars run well.

Maybe I just keep both cars original, since I don't think any mechanic here would like to take the chance to make such a swap, but in theory.. is it possible ? It would be a good idea, or bad idea?

Thank you in advance.

Mario Calero

MessyHonda
09-18-2006, 08:05 AM
it would be easyer if you found a fuel injected 3gee if you want to convert. or just sell the carbed and buy the fuel injected version...well good luck

2ndGenGuy
09-18-2006, 01:18 PM
Swap the Fuel Injected A20 into it! That would be sweet! It would have the 3gee power, and the 2gee light weight. Would eat most Civics for sure.

Ichiban
09-18-2006, 04:59 PM
...i think he wants to put the Se-i engine into the 3g....

If you get the Se-i, keep it around. 3g's are everywhere, 2g Se-i's are not.
However, the Se-i powertrain is (should be) a direct drop in to a 3g, it has 3g mounts, 3g tranny splines, whats to stop you?

Mario Calero
09-19-2006, 07:20 AM
I am scared of finding too many difficulties if I go for the interchange, first of all because my 3gee is carburated, and the 2gee SE-i is EFI, I really don'n know if this is really a "direct drop", i mean, if it would fit my 3geez, If so, I would keep my 3gee engine in case the EFI fails, by the way, the EFI has 190K on it, and my carbed has 230K, I've only had my 3gee for about two years, I'm in love with my 3gee, I really would like to give her I BIG upgrade, but if I interchange the engines, I think I won't have a 3gee nor a 2gee, so, What Would I have?

If the answer if "a powerful machine, the best of the two generations", I would go for it.

But If I just get a cosmetic or minor performance improvement, I think I would keep both cars originals.

My mechanic says let's do it, but i really want to hear from you if is it worth the time, money and work to do it.

According to the next 2 or 3 post, I'll make my mind definetely.

Thanks.

Mario

PhydeauX
09-19-2006, 08:20 AM
The 85 se-i motor will drop right in to the 3g, yes, but you'll be in for a bit of a challenge bringing the rest of the efi system over. Unless you're comfortable rewireing your car then don't bother. The 85 se-i makes just about as much power as the carbed 3g, so you're not going to notice a diference. Probalby not much gain in fuel econonmy either. The work involved is going to be the same as whats listed in the efi conversion faq, only you're going to need to make some changes to the wireing harness and you'll still need to find an efi 3g to get the rest of the parts you'll need. The engine is probably better off left in the 2g. The 2g is a good car if you go for it. Cheap, reliable, and efficient. Being efi you also don't have to deal with the pain the ass cvcc carburator and all its headaches as it gets old. The SE-i is fully loaded with leather and all the power options honda had in 85. Its not going to be a powerful machine by todays standards in any way. It did have 25hp over the 2g LX and base modle and 100hp in a compact sedan was quite powerful in 85, but even the cheapest hatchback will give it a run for its money these days. Dropping a 3g motor into the 2g is a completely diferent story.

andy

2ndGenGuy
09-20-2006, 07:44 AM
If your 3g motor is carb'd, I woudln't bother doing any kind of swap there. I was thinking that your 3g was EFI as well. I would just leave them both as they are. Since you've got the EFI 2g, you should leave it as it, unless you're going to swap in a 3g EFI motor.

You're one of the few who has the luxury of swapping over a 3g EFI motor as a drop in to your 2g. Don't waste your time putting in a carb'd motor thats putting out the same power as your current engine.