PDA

View Full Version : oil pan and valve cover is leakin

salgmz
09-18-2006, 08:31 PM
how do i chek oil pan if there is plastic covering the whole bottom om the engine bay and how do i fix valve cover leak?

MessyHonda
09-18-2006, 08:35 PM
new gaskets....i think i paid like 5 bucks for the valve cover gasket. the oil pan is a lil harder to put on but it can ne done....also clean off all the old oil so you can find out where the leakes come from.

Pico
09-18-2006, 08:37 PM
U need to unbolt the plastic cover
and there are a bunch of threads on the valve cover gasket just do a search and type in "valve cover" I did that when I needed to fix my VC Gasket...:D

88Accord-DX
09-18-2006, 08:42 PM
You need to remove the splash guard, if can't see your oil pan. I'd use OEM Honda oil pan gasket, never had good results with other brands. You'll have to remove the crossmember, un-bolt the exhaust at the bottom of the header. The oil pan gasket is fun to keep in place too. Some use little silicone on the corners. I found that tying it up with 16 gauge wire on all 4 corners worked best for me. Then cut it off after I got my bolts started.

Valve cover gasket is pretty straightforward..

ghettogeddy
09-18-2006, 08:55 PM
U need to unbolt the plastic cover
and there are a bunch of threads on the valve cover gasket just do a search and type in "valve cover" I did that when I needed to fix my VC Gasket...:D
i dident even have to take the plastic cover off it actually came in handy to hold the exaust out of the way

salgmz
09-18-2006, 08:59 PM
so its alot of work to fix oil pan?it only leaks like a drop every day!

Pico
09-18-2006, 09:00 PM
so its alot of work to fix oil pan?it only leaks like a drop every day!
Youre lucky :D
Before I fixed mine it was like a half quart every other day or so

salgmz
09-18-2006, 09:01 PM
so i should fix it then like soon

Pico
09-18-2006, 09:03 PM
If it's only a drop a day like you said, then I wouldnt worry about it

ghettogeddy
09-18-2006, 09:13 PM
ya my 89's driping like a quart a week lol still havent figured out the prob just keep on putting oil in lol

salgmz
10-13-2006, 11:44 PM
i think it it the oil pan drain plug thingy that is leaking and it is tightened so i dont know wtf?

88Accord-DX
10-13-2006, 11:52 PM
You can wrap the drail plug threads with some teflon tape with 5 wraps real good. <basically called plumbers tape>

salgmz
10-14-2006, 07:46 AM
ok tahnkx

mkymonkey
10-14-2006, 08:20 AM
i got lazy so i just took it to the shop by work that does all the oil changes and mechanic work on our trucks....guy charged me 20 bucks. i didnt have time to get it done.

but before that, my oil plug was leaking. it turned out to be a bad o ring on the plug itself. just paid 2 bucks at autozone for a new one and fixed that problem. the gasket prob came after

superdesi
10-30-2006, 08:28 PM
You need to remove the splash guard, if can't see your oil pan. I'd use OEM Honda oil pan gasket, never had good results with other brands. You'll have to remove the crossmember, un-bolt the exhaust at the bottom of the header. The oil pan gasket is fun to keep in place too. Some use little silicone on the corners. I found that tying it up with 16 gauge wire on all 4 corners worked best for me. Then cut it off after I got my bolts started.
Valve cover gasket is pretty straightforward..
Damn. I had no idea it was all that work to drop the oil pan. My brother says he's leaking oil on his '89 LX-i , so I'll have to make sure it's the oil pan, or something else. The car otherwise is in good shape at 222K miles. :)