PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Header , what is out there?

HondaBoy
09-07-2006, 11:49 PM
well i've decided on a header and not the springs and shocks i had thought of. i'll probably get those in the winter semester when i have suspension/steering and alignment class at school. so for now i think a header is easy and in the right price range. i'm deciding to go with a pacesetter. of course i'm going to want the ceramic coated one, but i really havent quite decided on which one to go with. i saw the blue ceramic coat and i was pretty drawn to that. kinda different and i like that. anyway, either way i have to get the ceramic coated one for here where i live with the salt air and humidity.
http://129.33.208.36/LPACESETTERHEADERS.jpghttp://129.33.208.36/Lpacesetterheader.jpg

ghettogeddy
09-08-2006, 12:25 AM
how much is the blue one

HondaBoy
09-08-2006, 06:28 AM
$275.92 for the blue ceramic finish, $292.79 for the silver ceramic finish. not too sure about the black painted one, but i'm guessing $160-$180 which isnt bad if you just want it basic. i really like the blue one though, just for the fact that i dont see other people with this. and the price is cool. i dunno, but help me decide because my mom is wanting to get it for me today online. good b-day present huh?

sinisterfuzzy
09-08-2006, 06:40 AM
i vote for the silver one...

ghettogeddy
09-08-2006, 06:58 AM
blue babyt and when i have the money ill have on to so u wont be alone

MessyHonda
09-08-2006, 09:02 AM
that is too much money for headers...with that price you can get a used Dc header that already comes with the coating....i have a pacesetter the black one....all that coating is just to save them for shelf life and once you put it on the car it will peal off....i picked up a can at autozone for headers...it says ceramic paint...rated for 2000F....i have to grind them down and spray some on.

2oodoor
09-08-2006, 09:22 AM
the extra long ones are high rev race headers, if you get one you will want to be inint it al lot of err all the time dude, try and get DC they have to be used traders only ,not made,... eventually somebodyis gonna tell us they are making them for everyone. GEEEZ , jesse james makes one for every vehicle on his shows.. I like the silver one pacesetter.

nswst8
09-08-2006, 10:09 AM
How much would you pay for a DC Sports Header? I might be willing to sell mine.

MessyHonda
09-08-2006, 10:53 AM
250+ shipping

A20A1
09-08-2006, 10:54 AM
Only the black painted ones are the ones that peel off the other ones last longer, the black one is not ceramic paint. Thats why there is a price difference between the coated header (blue/silver) and the uncoated (black).

BITESIZE
09-08-2006, 10:56 AM
I got my ceramic one for $180 shipped new off of ebay.

I tried to find a blue one, too much money.

87lxiaccord
09-08-2006, 11:04 AM
i like the blue set they're unique and kinda cool

Xtreemjedi
09-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Ceramic are better, they block up to 50% more heat from the under-hood area than the chrome or pilished versions. That is the standard for all headers.

B16KILLA
09-08-2006, 11:44 AM
oh so NOW you people are starting to like the blue header. Mine is blue and I've heard from several people that it's rice.

MessyHonda
09-08-2006, 03:13 PM
I tried to find a blue one, too much money.

yeah i never knew that they made blue ones....well they still cost too much money since the welds become britle and crack

A20A1
09-08-2006, 03:29 PM
oh so NOW you people are starting to like the blue header. Mine is blue and I've heard from several people that it's rice.

aha who said it was rice... they need a little time out :bandance:

2oodoor
09-09-2006, 03:00 AM
aha who said it was rice... they need a little time out :bandance: too ricer?????
Hey I dent see anybody say that on this thread, who are you gonna listento HOnda boy?
true beware of the pacesetter, very bad port matching and bubble gum welds. also I have seen teh black ones advertised as being armor coated if that is suppose to be the same as cereamic coated there is something fishy there. I still like the long blue one, it looks like the best one, but may be a boogey man to install.
you shoulda jumped on the DC the guy was offering up, before Messy made him an offer he could not (maynot) refuse.

HondaBoy
09-09-2006, 10:38 AM
well i would go for a used DC, but i want it like right now so yeah. i thought the header had a warranty on it? but i do think i'm going to go with the blue ceramic finish. as for the welds, i would hope they arent too bad. i mean pacesetter is a professional company, but you never know until you try something. i've seen them mostly on nissan Z's and chevy's, never saw anything to make me think they were crappy aside from the black paint that flakes off and is usually just left to rust.

ok, just look at it. looks hot. B16KILLA, i guess i never saw your engine pix before though. anyway, i think i'm gonna go for it.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/2408000-2408999/2408659_2_full.jpg

snoopyloopy
09-09-2006, 02:52 PM
do the blue

2oodoor
09-09-2006, 03:20 PM
Went to JY this morning and saw a 4g with a dc header on it, also saw a downpipe for 3G LXi, I think it was
Dc it had round insets with rubbery seals.... the rest of the header may have been under the car, it had no wheels on it. motor was gone too. I should have grabbed it, somebody coulda prob used it.

MessyHonda
09-09-2006, 10:28 PM
Went to JY this morning and saw a 4g with a dc header on it, also saw a downpipe for 3G LXi, I think it was
Dc it had round insets with rubbery seals.... the rest of the header may have been under the car, it had no wheels on it. motor was gone too. I should have grabbed it, somebody coulda prob used it.

GET IT FOR ME...i need a DC downpipe....will pay shipping....

HondaBoy
09-10-2006, 01:19 AM
damn i really want this header i need to get at ordering it asap

2oodoor
09-10-2006, 09:20 AM
will do Messy, I was thinking the dang thing had four bolts, my dc has three, but I am not absolutley sure. I will go tommorrow and get it,
i got what I thought was a cupholder but it sure looks more lke a cassette holder where do the cups go lol need somewhere to keep cups and phone.
Truely the only cupholder I have seen in JY is in the 90 model 4gee, that fold out type. but the shifter console is totallly different.
funny story, while I was at this JY,there is a metal recycler, all teh crackheads take stuff that aint bolted down and cash it in, metal is way up here now, you can get 2-3 hundred cash for junk cars, full size... some crackhead was hauling in a two post rotary lift that looked fairly new, the kind you can bolt up at home with enough ceiling clearance and six inches of concrete... I almost turned around and caught him but hell I didnt have the cash he was fixin to get for it then.. dang it.

sinisterfuzzy
09-10-2006, 03:20 PM
has anyone on here tried an S&S Header?

snoopyloopy
09-10-2006, 04:39 PM
will do Messy, I was thinking the dang thing had four bolts, my dc has three, but I am not absolutley sure.
yes, the dcs header had 3 bolts, the stock has four.

HondaBoy
09-11-2006, 03:35 PM
i had considered an S&S header actually but they never got back to me on it when i asked if they were still making them. i was going to order it when i had the money, but since they didnt get around to me i got the rims i have now instead. anyway, i've ordered the blue ceramic header and some new manifold studs, washers and nuts because some were broken or had fallen off. so i'll have to update y'all with some nice pix of when i put it on!

A20A1
09-11-2006, 03:51 PM

I think two members have one.

HondaBoy
09-12-2006, 05:09 PM
^ i think thats about right. aside from that, everythings clear with my honda parts that were ordered. but, the header on the other hand isnt an instock item and will likely be delivered around the end of september or bigining of october. but at least i know its comming.

2oodoor
09-12-2006, 05:34 PM
well Messy you have a pm your way

Oh hell yes, they are absolutely beautiful pipes dude, I would love to have a set but they no longer made, there are folks good enough to make clones around if you check around.....

Listen2myBASS
09-16-2006, 11:09 AM
Problem is, we have so little choice it's not even funny...most people abandon the 3gee way because of our aftermarket...and i personally don't want to pay $300+ for some headers, i'd be happy with some of these cheap knock-offs that the civic crowd has the luxury to purchase...my question to whomever can help me is...
Is there anyway to take an exhaust manifold gasket somewhere, and have them make me an adaptor to another headers bolt pattern and port dimensions?

Would there be anyway to get a close matched header and just bolt it on anyways? like, a couple horses lost wouldnt matter since u gain about 10-15 from the new ones...im more about looks in the engine bay over power...might sound gay? but it's my liking...

ghettogeddy
09-16-2006, 11:15 AM
ya but your still prooly gona pay 300 bucks

just search i think a20a1 is working on something

A20A1
09-16-2006, 12:07 PM
An adapter would be tough... there isn't much room... and any adapter would have to have a zig zag like flow out the ports.

After that you'll have to consider the angle the A-Pipe points.
How low the header will sit with an adapter or how close it will come to the front cross member and radiator.

Pacesetter is the cheap knock off... get it coated by "jet hot" or "swain tech"
They'll take the black painted header and make it shine... if you want a shine.

Listen2myBASS
09-16-2006, 12:10 PM
all im reading is, BAD IDEA TO BEGIN WITH...thanks for the insight though...

A20A1
09-16-2006, 12:11 PM
Check your PM

I didn't even say bad idea... I'm telling whats involved in doing it is all.

ghettogeddy
09-16-2006, 12:16 PM
An adapter would be tough... there isn't much room... and any adapter would have to have a zig zag like flow out the ports.
After that you'll have to consider the angle the A-Pipe points.
How low the header will sit with an adapter or how close it will come to the front cross member and radiator.
Pacesetter is the cheap knock off... get it coated by "jet hot" or "swain tech"
They'll take the black painted header and make it shine... if you want a shine.
so i can have the paint removed tehn have the header polished if so im all for that im gettingmy header at the end of the month

A20A1
09-16-2006, 12:32 PM
well it's not polished... it's coated with ceramic paint. but the coating is shiny.
Not sure how much they charge though.

Q: Where can I get my header ceramic coated?
SWAINTECH (http://www.swaintech.com/)
AIRBORN COATINGS (http://www.airborncoatings.com/)
JET HOT (http://www.jet-hot.com/)

http://www.jet-hot.com/Pages/colors.html
cool colors, I kind like the copper head.
Cool article on engine coating. :)
http://www.swaintech.com/store.asp?pid=10319

DDRaptor
09-16-2006, 12:35 PM
would'nt making your own be cheaper? if you already had a welder and use the exsisting flange off the stock header?

A20A1
09-16-2006, 12:46 PM
would'nt making your own be cheaper? if you already had a welder and use the exsisting flange off the stock header?

Yes and no... depeds if you can get the materials cheap.

Straight pipe is a lot cheaper then pre-mandrel-bent pipe.
So you'll need your own bender, or will have to pay PER Bend for the pre bent stuff.

I think the cheapest would be a 4-2-1, 1 piece header.
or even a 4-1 if you had a bender in house... because you can use 4 straight pipe and just bend them 2 to 3 times to get the curve you want. Then you'll need a merge collector and some 2"-2.25" pipe after the collector to connect to the exhaust or cat if you have one.

Any two piece header and you'll need pipe expanders to make slip fit connections... weld on slip fit pieces, or a flange to connect the two parts of your 2 piece header. Pacesetter is 2 piece with a flange, DC is 2 piece with flange. S&S is 2 piece but it's slip fit.

shepherd79
09-16-2006, 01:16 PM
i don't know why people say that headers cost $300.
pacessetter, is a good header. I bought my pacessetter header back in 2001 or 2002 can't remember. All i had to do is paint it with duplicolor ceramic paint and bake them in the oven for 3 hours. Still till this day i have no rust. and they fit good.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PaceSetter-Performance-Header-86-89-Honda-Accord-2-0L_W0QQitemZ7975682148QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33631QQss PageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

A20A1
09-16-2006, 01:24 PM
I think they are talking about the coated pacesetter or maybe the S&S... I also think they don't do enough searching to find the lowest price.

DDRaptor
09-16-2006, 03:56 PM
I hope i'm not encroahing A20 could a stock header be modified, into a 4-2-1 and making your own collector?

ghettogeddy
09-16-2006, 04:24 PM
so is there away to have pacesetters polished

A20A1
09-16-2006, 04:57 PM
I hope i'm not encroahing A20 could a stock header be modified, into a 4-2-1 and making your own collector?

The cast manifold is 4-2 the A-Pipe is 2-1... if you want the carbed 4-1 manifold to be 4-2-1 that wont work... you just buy a EFI manifold 88-89 years.

If you want to use the head flange, it can be done. And you can port the stock A-pipe flange and fiddle with the pipe lengths.But for the majority you'll still need to buy pipe and bend it or buy pre-bent.

If there was a easy way to get a header made I probably would have done it.

The closes I can get is the $150 Stainless Megan Racing one... $150 for a stainless header is pretty damn cheap considering most stainless in the market are in the $300 - $500 range, and that was back in '99 when I was looking for a header.
For me the cost of prebent pipe and making flanges and welding would put me well over $150.
So I buy a premade header and modify it. The most costly part would be the new flange I would need and some pipe for after the collector. I got my header on ebay for $20.

If I ever get my hands on a draw bender and dies I will make a header using straight pipe and bend them how I need them. Only then will it be cost effective after making a few headers and much easier to make cause there will be minimal welding, but to get the bender and the dies will cost me $500 +.

DDRaptor
09-16-2006, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the info it's because i found an A20 engine around here for 300.that i could take the parts off. that's probaley over priced but it's new york city what isn't expensive.

2oodoor
09-16-2006, 05:28 PM
Very good info post '
all these thngs must get priced out get it , time is money, plus product quality. DDraptor your question was answered as best as you would even get a mechanical welder fabricater would even\ give up time to answer U Ualmost the same question or threed as last nite. Factor in the cost of the tube stock pipe, the size A20 would use and all design build fair compenstion for said project would be worth close to 200 to 400 buck andthenb some... Think though about the diff is metal properties with oem flange and the tubes plus wire your using., it may tend to warp leak, rust, It is possible to make ahederz,headers... set by using oem flanges and a yard sale set of pontiac headers. you would be in biz. cut and bend ,thiink\ skills here insert ,but then
I would get a machine shop to make a new flange from template from maybe lkethe head. have to make sure it matched the head ports which Pcccshiters have been known to not finish for you . more time eQ money... search the thread for header , good header wwmotorcycle shops make headers att

I am remebering now , there was a chevy z71 totally for sale, I mean, all leafs solid axle front eng blah blah blah, any way I coulda swore that thihghadheader tube all the way up to real axle... maybe just two for each side, but it looked bad stinkin ass.. I want tubes all the way to rear floor pann.....lol 3G

snoopyloopy
09-16-2006, 07:04 PM
yeah i was thinking that, but would there be anyway to get a close matched header and just bolt it on anyways? like, a couple horses lost wouldnt matter since u gain about 10-15 from the new ones...im more about looks in the engine bay over power...might sound gay? but it's my liking...
other cars may gain 10-15 hp, but i don't think any of the 4-2-1 headers give the 3g that much power. the s & s 4-1 model might. but i really don't think i have a total gain of 10-15 hp with my sri + dcs headers. maybe if i put on my exhaust.

DDRaptor
09-16-2006, 07:28 PM
actually I was thinking to myself if i had repeated myself. It's because i read the write up A20 had on custom headers, and i was thinking how hard could it be, i would need a welder, maybe a angle saw or a band saw, cause i can't afford a bender that can do 2.25 pipe. I'll tihnk of something as soon as i start working again. Thanks for the info and i hope it helped listent2myBASS.

A20A1
09-16-2006, 07:44 PM
To mod the megan header you'll need a welder and an electric hand saw that riciprocates(sp) and has a good depth to the cutting blade. Someone suggested a sawsall.

I found that the C clamp looking hack saws and dremels don't work for making the cuts I need in the confines that exist.

I'm actually dissapointed that the dremel doesn't work.

I also would like a bench vise, that way I can reshape the exhaust ports to the proper "0" shape.

The project is only taking long cause I lack some tools and well basicly money to get what I need. It's really easy if you have everything available.

DDRaptor
09-16-2006, 08:12 PM
i have used a saw sall defintly can be done with it. but it's not as precise as a band saw or a angle saw, i just say those 2 for a simple reason i can cut small angle pieces to get the best psudeo bend as i can. then i can weld them together.

A20A1
09-16-2006, 08:38 PM
don't do cheat bends...

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/Wendy_girl/4bbl_carbed_03.jpg

If you weld and it penetrates too deep into the pipe you'll have bits of weld in the way of the exhaust flow, times that by the number of welds required to make a bend and it adds up.
Also on cheat bends the diameter of the pipe changes :(

ghettogeddy
09-16-2006, 08:40 PM
don't do cheat bends...

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/Wendy_girl/4bbl_carbed_03.jpg

:(

i have to ask why

A20A1
09-16-2006, 08:45 PM
You'll have to reply less quickly... :) I was editing my post :)
Go back and read it.

I thought about going that route myselfe once... but really it's not worth it, unless you are building a mockup. Which the one in the picture was. Just a mock up to see what and how many bends they would need before they make the real thing.

DDRaptor
09-16-2006, 08:50 PM
hmm. in other words get a welder and i need to practice practice practice.
Thanks again.

A20A1
09-16-2006, 09:09 PM
Not sure if I posted this but here is the header... my only e-bay purchase. $20

This was when I finished cutting and rewelding the A-Pipe that turns under the oil pan.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/Wendy_girl/mr_f23_a20.jpg

DDRaptor
09-17-2006, 11:03 AM
what would you recommend for a newb welder like myself.

I heard a mig, tig, stick, and i don't know what's the difference.

A20A1
09-17-2006, 01:57 PM
tig is supposed to be the best, especially around thinner more delicate areas.

I just went mig and flux cored wire...

but not backpurging and or adding gas shielding causes the welds to get funky.

mig is fun to have an is pretty easy to learn with.

wear protective gear though... you can get bad RADIATION burns if not... and also ventillate the area you're working in.

I'm always doing my jobs one handed cause I don't have a full face helmet... just some shiled I hold with my other hand to protect my eyes and face.

RamThis
09-17-2006, 08:55 PM
HPC Coatings HiPerCoat (http://www.hpcoatings.com.au/pages/hipercoat.htm)
Some of us Dodge guys have used it, not myself yet, but from what I hear, they kick Jet Hot's ass and everyone that has used them LOVES it. I am going to put a header on my Teg, and will have it coated, plus I plan to do the Edelbrock headers on my 2000 Ram all in HiPerCoat.
They say even after a few years, you just polish them up from the road grime, and they sparkle like new, even one guy had some plastic piece fall down and melt to his header, it scraped right off and the area polished up clean and left no trace.
You can also get colored coatings from HPC....... :)

Who makes Headers for an 89 Accord with an A20A3? I've looked around some and dont see any but seen some post earlier that makes me think there are some out there somewhere?
Anyone point me in the right direction?

BITESIZE
09-18-2006, 11:09 PM
Your only choice custom or pacesetter.

A20A1
09-18-2006, 11:20 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37261

click on the name of the header maker for a link to their site.

S&S makes a fuel injected version... and if it doesn't then all you would need to do is add another bung hole for the second o2 sensor.

crazyziggy
09-18-2006, 11:51 PM
Your only choice custom or pacesetter.
DC sports makes one, about $4-500 though. but by the pacesetter, its theSAME thing, just alittle cheaper

FyreDaug
09-19-2006, 08:20 AM
DC sports makes one, about $4-500 though. but by the pacesetter, its theSAME thing, just alittle cheaper

lawl no its not the same thing. DC is made better, its a slightly better design. and well... its just better overall. Not worth the double price though. Just thought Id clarify :p

MessyHonda
09-19-2006, 09:40 AM
yeah you can pick up a pacesetter for like 180 and then i would have it coated since the paint is going to burn off and then it will turn into a rustsetter.

labeledsk8r
09-19-2006, 09:46 AM
yeah go with the pacesetter, if your fuel injected you have to plug the AGR? valve (i think corect me if im rong) or if your carbed you just plug one of the
o2 sensors

BITESIZE
09-19-2006, 11:13 AM

They don't make them anymore smart one.:gun: They are not the same, not even close.

stat1K
09-19-2006, 11:19 AM
lawl no its not the same thing. DC is made better, its a slightly better design. and well... its just better overall. Not worth the double price though. Just thought Id clarify :p

might not be close but i've heard people on the board say that their dc sports rusted faster than their pacesetter... so maybe better horsepower but build quality i don't know. i'd just assume build my own or have one made for the 500 price. but pacesetter is definitley cheaper that's a fact.

ChaseR
09-19-2006, 11:55 AM
I just got a pacesetter on eBay and im getting it coated by JETHOT, Im hoping it''s a good choice but I can't stand the look of the Stock manifold. Good Choice heh, ONLY CHOICE. =0

rjudgey
09-19-2006, 11:57 AM
What size is the main pipe on the Pacesetter? is it 2" or 2.25". also with the system is that 2" or 2.25"?
Just qurious thats all? Need a temporary fix till i can get my car road legal then i can take it down to the exhaust specialist to have one completely custom made. I think all i would need is to fabricate a tube with flexi pipe inbetween the header and the system with no cat as U.K. cars don't have to have cats pre 91 which is dead handy!!

BITESIZE
09-19-2006, 12:19 PM
2 1/4 inch is the pacesetter.

A20A1
09-19-2006, 12:44 PM
yeah go with the pacesetter, if your fuel injected you have to plug the AGR? valve (i think corect me if im rong) or if your carbed you just plug one of the
o2 sensors

AS pipe

EGR pipe you use.

BITESIZE
09-19-2006, 12:50 PM
I just got an AS fitting off of a carbed one at the salvage yard, and filled it with a welder, and screwed it in.

HondaBoy
09-19-2006, 08:22 PM
damn. way to fawkin jack my thread lol. and who changed my headline?

FyreDaug
09-19-2006, 08:39 PM
2 1/4 inch is the pacesetter.

my collector is 2"....

A20A1
09-19-2006, 10:41 PM
sounds good... 2" is fine for the collector diameter.

The exhast after you can up though. 2.25" 2.5"

labeledsk8r
09-20-2006, 01:55 PM
AS pipe
EGR pipe you use.

i had the A part right lol

HondaBoy
09-22-2006, 04:18 PM
lookie! i got my parts in from honda today. new exhaust manifold studs, special washers and nuts.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/HondaBoySi87/DSC04885.jpg

A20A1
09-22-2006, 11:42 PM
awe so cute everything gets pacaged individually. :)

HondaBoy
09-23-2006, 06:31 PM
hell yeah and it was delivered quickly which i was quite impressed with. i'm going to go with Majestic Honda from now on i think when ordering OEM parts instead of my local dealership, that is if the local one doesnt have it in stock. but anyway, quite happy with them. just ordered online and made it really easy. i'm just itchin for that header now! some people said it requires taking the radiator out? i've done it on other hondas and with probably less room to work and didnt have to do that. but if i do, the radiator is so easy to remove. i almost want to remove the catalytic converter also. maybe just hollow it out. but this is my daily driver and all.

labeledsk8r
09-23-2006, 07:04 PM
i took my radiator out when i instaled my header, just made life alot easyer, you could im guessing do it with it in still but its alot easyer to work with room. becuse if you get pissed about not haveing room you end up breaking something and then you gotta fix that part aswell

HondaBoy
10-13-2006, 12:53 PM
ok, this is regoddamndiculous. nopi is taking forever with my header and i'm getting impatient. its been over a month and they are still bs'in around with it i guess. bastards better give a good finish on it. i'm gonna be pissed if its not here this weekend. it was supposed to be here around the begining of october, not the middle. maybe thats what i get for having a special order?

shepherd79
10-13-2006, 07:22 PM
just uy one from ebay.
probably cheaper anyway. Nopi probably doesn't have it in stock and i am sure they can't get it.

HondaBoy
10-13-2006, 07:59 PM
no, the fact is i ordered it and am having it ceramic coated from nopi and they are taking forever on it. its out and about right now, supposedly getting finished. but i dunno how true that is.

HondaBoy
10-19-2006, 09:37 AM
its been almost another week and no word. i know it doesn take that long to strip and poweder coat a part this small.

MessyHonda
10-19-2006, 09:41 AM
its been almost another week and no word. i know it doesn take that long to strip and poweder coat a part this small.

sorry to hear that....you should of got it hotjet or wutever.

Vanilla Sky
10-19-2006, 10:55 AM
just for reference, there's no real gain in power without a cat. a properly functioning cat would only reduce power by .5% or so. that's not worth worrying about. from what i've read, guys in STi's are seeing almost no improvement with the removal of their cats. keep it in place, keep it legal, and keep our air clean.

2.00" and 2.25" are okay for mild aftermarket improvements, we fall around 1.75" stock and thats what our cars come with, it doesn't account for the stock cat or muffler though.

125 hp x 2.2 = 275 cfm
1.75" Single Exhaust pipe flows about 275 cfm

163 hp x 2.2 = about 360 cfm
2.00" Single Exhaust pipe flows about 360 cfm

200 hp x 2.2 = 440 cfm
2.25" Single Exhaust pipe flows about 440 cfm

cat technology is getting better so you don't have to be illegal and ditch the cat alltogether to get good performance, and not many of us here are scrapping the bottom of the barrel looking for every last drop of power to win a 1/4 mile race.

Here are some high flow cats

Random Technology
Magnaflow Magnaflow Cat
(http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MPE%2D94105&view=4095&N=4294867633+4294891681+4294906131+4294906122+4294 867619+4294788202+0)CARSOUND
SMSP SMSP Spun Bodied Cat (http://sms-products.com/Converters.html)

Here is some good info on cats.
http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=24
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1128725

speedpenguin
10-21-2006, 01:05 PM
There is some truth to the cat question, actually.

Older cats (Like the ones on our cars) are inefficient, because of the filter design. Newer cats do not use this design, and are quite efficient. Hence you may see a gain from removing your cat, but you will not from removing it from a newer car. I recommend switching to a high-flow type, which will give you the performance of a newer cat.

Vanilla Sky
10-21-2006, 10:21 PM
exactly what we see here over and over again.

another thing you need to remember is that the cats we have are close to 20 years old. that's old. there are quite a few of us with over 200,000 miles. that's a lot of wear. cats clog up when they get old.

a magnaflow from ebay is only like $80 shipped. that's $80 to keep legal and keep a clear concience.

mkymonkey
10-22-2006, 12:56 AM
like ive said it before...just ebay hunt guys. i got my cat for under 40 bucks off of there :thumbup:

rjudgey
10-22-2006, 05:45 AM
Yeah but ours don't come with them and i'm not paying to ship one from U.S. to U.K. and my cars have been very enviromentally friendly lately as the Blue lude has been off the road for a year and the White B20A for two years!!

speedpenguin
10-22-2006, 06:56 AM
exactly what we see here over and over again.
another thing you need to remember is that the cats we have are close to 20 years old. that's old. there are quite a few of us with over 200,000 miles. that's a lot of wear. cats clog up when they get old.
a magnaflow from ebay is only like $80 shipped. that's $80 to keep legal and keep a clear concience.

I agree with that as well, and I am in full support of using a cat. From what I've read in The Performance Handbook (something I'd recommend to anyone who wants to mod their car) Older cats are far less efficient than newer ones, is all I'm saying. A high-flow such as a magnaflow will be more efficient than the one currently on your car, even when that one was new. The way older cats were designed is what started this whole "cats rob power" business in the first place. It's not like someone jsut randomly made it up.

shepherd79
10-22-2006, 10:26 AM
actually replacing stock cat with newer design can help yea.
look at stock design, and you will see that inlet and outlet are stagered. they reduce exhaust velocity a little.
I used to have no cat at all. I just recently installed brand new aftermarket cat. it is nothing special, it is not high flow or nothing like that. it is just regular cat with accord flanges welded. but the inlet and outlet are inline.
I didn't see any performance drop. and my car just passed emission test with very low readings.
so even some other companies claim their cats are hi flow and you will pass emission and so on and on. I have read and heard a lot of horror stories of people getting fined and spend more money trying to put the right cats back on.

Listen2myBASS
10-22-2006, 10:37 AM
would you see anything off a cheapo ebay one replacing ur old one?

HondaBoy
10-22-2006, 12:36 PM
well, i may see if my mom will order me the high flowing catalytic converter. its another $100 or so, direct bolt on from magnaflow. but thats depending on the condition of my exsisting cat when i take the exhaust apart. i'm not quite sure which design the 3rd gen accords used on the cat, pellet or honeycomb style since i havent had to take mine off yet.

MessyHonda
10-22-2006, 02:57 PM
like ive said it before...just ebay hunt guys. i got my cat for under 40 bucks off of there :thumbup:

me too i got a universal 2.25inch magnaflow cat for 43 shipped to my door...brand new in box. made my day..hehe

shepherd79
10-22-2006, 04:12 PM
i bought mine for $77 shipped to my door. bolted right up to my pacessetter header and cat back.

HondaBoy
10-22-2006, 11:30 PM
i was wondering if i should get one of those fakey ones that is more or less a polished up glass pack? i dont have E tests here. but, i hate the way cars without them smell from the rich exhaust. hey, are y'all talking about a real catalytic converter or the strait pipe that looks like one? i was just going to go with a magnaflow high flow. otherwise, where'd y'all get them?

MessyHonda
10-23-2006, 06:37 AM
i was talking about a real legit cat.

nswst8
10-23-2006, 09:12 AM
I have a monza high flow cat for sale if anyone is interested $70 + shipping, same one selling on ebay for $140 + shipping.

snoopyloopy
10-23-2006, 01:24 PM
so what is better, the spun cats or the honeycomb ones?

speedpenguin
10-23-2006, 03:28 PM
Spun. The honeycomb ones are the ones that rob power. At least that's what I remember. Don't bet the farm on that.

Anyone else want to weigh in on that?

HondaBoy
10-23-2006, 11:37 PM
no they did get it, sent it off to whoever does the coatings for them and apparently are loaded up with other stuff. the guy from nopi said its still comming though. maybe this week i'll have a nice present to open!

MessyHonda
10-23-2006, 11:44 PM
no they did get it, sent it off to whoever does the coatings for them and apparently are loaded up with other stuff. the guy from nopi said its still comming though. maybe this week i'll have a nice present to open!

good luck