PDA

View Full Version : Some pics of my progress... 56K beware..

RamThis
09-19-2006, 09:57 PM
Pulled the car in Monday night and started tearing it apart. Got down to pulling the head off and that's about where I stopped. Found it blew the head gasket between cyl 2 and 3 and was pumping coolant into the cylinders nicely, as is evident by the huge cloud of steam coming from the tailpipe when I got it started and drove it in....
http://www.dodgetrucks.org/gallery/data/500/steam1.jpg
http://www.dodgetrucks.org/gallery/data/500/steam.jpg
And the blown head gasket.....
http://www.dodgetrucks.org/gallery/data/500/Head_Gasket.jpg
When I pulled the car in just before teardown, I shot this pic. The engine bay was cleaner but it's all covered in coolant now. Oh well, I got's plans for this car. AOM here I come...
http://www.dodgetrucks.org/gallery/data/500/Engine_Bay1.jpg
And where I got at the end of the evening....
http://www.dodgetrucks.org/gallery/data/500/Car1.jpg
http://www.dodgetrucks.org/gallery/data/500/Car2.jpg

2ndGenGuy
09-19-2006, 10:07 PM
Woah man thats crazy stuff right there! You're half way done now. Putting that carb back together looks like it will be fun... You're a brave soul.

RamThis
09-19-2006, 10:12 PM
Im not even close to being done LOL. I'm pulling the whole engine and wiring harness, cabin harness, fuel tank and lines, and swapping in an EFI engine and harness and tank/fuel lines. Plus plan to do some minor mods and restoration along the way. This car will be bitchin when it's done!!

2ndGenGuy
09-19-2006, 10:26 PM
Oh snap! Guess it's not just a headgasket fix then... Gonna clean up the engine bay and all that goodness while the engine is out?

RamThis
09-19-2006, 10:38 PM
Yeah, and then some lol. Gonna be some painting going on :)

Maybe even a CAI in the mix who knows, Im making it all up as I go!!

2ndGenGuy
09-20-2006, 07:31 AM
Sweet sounds like fun! Shave all those extra flanges and metal brackets while you're in there cleaning up and repainting. :) Should look good, keep the pics flowin...

MessyHonda
09-20-2006, 07:41 AM
nice...i have to find a fuel injection swap so i can swap it on my dx. are you going to do a wire tuck?

Legend_master
09-20-2006, 08:18 AM
Looks like you are coming along well, and that old engine was toast. So why exactly are you changing the fuel tank. It seems a little tedious, as I believe they are the same tank. Good luck, hit me up if you need some help.

A18A
09-20-2006, 08:41 AM
i think its just normal for pieces of gasket to flake off onto the head and block. kk im of to bed for real now

AccordEpicenter
09-20-2006, 08:55 AM
i bet that head got warped pretty good, check the deck for warping on the block also, if you are gonna reuse it

MessyHonda
09-20-2006, 09:18 AM
i bet that head got warped pretty good, check the deck for warping on the block also, if you are gonna reuse it

i think he is going to use the F/I head...anyways like i said good job....how long do you think its going to take....i have like 1 month till my smog thing is over.

A18A
09-20-2006, 09:20 AM
im so glad we dont have smog here, my car might as well get dumped. i dont have a cat and it was blowing blue and black smoke at the wof station lol

sinisterfuzzy
09-20-2006, 10:07 AM
Yeah, and then some lol. Gonna be some painting going on :)

i thought it'd be sweet if you could get some of that house of kolor chrome reflection paint in an eb.

RamThis
09-20-2006, 10:23 AM
None of the current engine is going back in, I just havent gotten the trans and block out yet. I'm rebuild the trans too while I have it out, my friend at APS Precision is getting me all the necessary rebuild parts for that.

Alot of the engine pieces will be painted to match the blue exterior of the car, and clearcoated, will look like a jewel when Im done!

RamThis
09-20-2006, 10:24 AM
Looks like you are coming along well, and that old engine was toast. So why exactly are you changing the fuel tank. It seems a little tedious, as I believe they are the same tank. Good luck, hit me up if you need some help.

from what I read on a couple of those posts on the FI swap, the tanks were different between the two cars, something about the fuel pump and return line setup or whatever.

smufguy
09-20-2006, 10:49 AM
nice progress

yeah the tanks on teh carb and efi are different since the baffles are different and the basket on the efi pump wont fit in right inside the carb tank and u will have fuel feed issues below 1/4th of the tank. the feed line on the carb will be the return line for the efi. and blah blah blah, lol

i think you should just go fuel injection with everything apart.

Legend_master
09-20-2006, 12:00 PM
nice progress
yeah the tanks on teh carb and efi are different since the baffles are different and the basket on the efi pump wont fit in right inside the carb tank and u will have fuel feed issues below 1/4th of the tank. the feed line on the carb will be the return line for the efi. and blah blah blah, lol
i think you should just go fuel injection with everything apart.

Ok I dident know that. And he is going FI

RamThis
09-20-2006, 02:11 PM
Ok just to recap, the whole EFI engine and harness and tank will be coming out of the donor car, all getting reworked and rebuilt, painted up, and going into lil blue. I will do some resto stuff like carpets and such while I have the car apart, and some paint work. Might even graft in that sunroof while I'm at it.

smufguy
09-21-2006, 07:40 AM
thats cool. and you know we hoes here loveeeeeeee pics of progess. so be sure to take plenty :) Good luck with your project tho ;)

Cheeseburger
09-21-2006, 07:56 AM
dam bro! good luck with the rebuild.

spnrx
09-21-2006, 10:31 AM
have fun!

ChaseR
09-21-2006, 01:09 PM
Good job on the surgery there, Why didnt you lift it all out as a unit instead of just taking the had off first etc etc..

RamThis
09-21-2006, 05:33 PM
Needed to get the intake and head off because I have someone buying it, and I dont have my engine lift here at the house, I store it at my parent's shop since all I have here is a 2 car garage to work in, not enough room to store an engine lift lol. Hell I already have shelves on both sides full of stuff, a 60 gallon upright compressor, my backup toolbox, and a 3X6 work bench I built in there now, so it's hell parking the truck and a car in there. Still lots of room though with all that stuff and just the smaller cars together in there.

88Accord-DX
09-21-2006, 06:47 PM
Looking good. I was curious if your going to rebuild the engine yourself or have it done? Keep us posted & problems you came across.

RamThis
09-21-2006, 09:32 PM
All work will be done myself except rebuilding the head and having the block hot tanked and decked/honed.

I've been turning wrenches for 12 years now, Im no stranger to an engine bay LOL. As for imports, well, Im kinda new to the neighborhood, but I'm finding my way around ok lol.

EX-ileAccord
09-22-2006, 04:09 AM
Thats going to awesome when its finshed man good luck