PDA

View Full Version : Should I have changed the flywheel?

Chrome_thangs
08-30-2002, 02:08 AM
I replaced my clutch about 6 months ago w/ a cheapo AutoZone one. Now i feel my power slowly leaving again like when i had to replace it before. I'm gonna get a genuine honda replacement one this time. Should i be replacing anything else in there? I've been reading where the fly wheel should be resurfaced or replaced (not quite sure). Also can i get one of a low mileage 1.8l Prelude or 3gee, or would i be better of getting a new one

shepherd79
08-30-2002, 04:18 AM
i heard you can fit from 1.8L prelude. it is lighter, so it will rev faster but remember lighter flywheels loose torgue, but they gain HP at the top rpm.

smufguy
08-30-2002, 04:19 AM
u change the clutch and the pressure plate when you do the "cluch change' which you and everyone knows. THey dont mess with the flywheel cause for a normal driving or comuting it does no hurt it much, BUt see if there is noticable fracture lines or heat marks (like a rainbow-y colors) or worse case senario, groove line. I would say that get a new one, though a used one is cheaper, they are just not reliable when it comes to parts like that. maybe for like a project where u wanna see if its right or wrong, parts like that might be acceptable. to replace them no a good working car, i suggest u get a new one that is IF YOU need it. clutchs have a bad life if we drive like a maniac (like me) or the clutch was not installed right or it was a cheapy one. get a stock clutch like u said or pay an extra 100 bucks and get a ACT or a centerforce. lot of ppl use centerforce, so go for it.

Site
08-30-2002, 05:48 AM
Go ACT - I've read only good things about them. I have a Centerforce Dual Friction for now and I DON'T recommend it. Sure, it's the most economical of the performance clutches, but it responds and feels JUST like the stock clutch. No bite or extra grab. Nothing. NOT at all what I was hoping for.

AZmike
08-30-2002, 06:23 AM
A flywheel change will not affect your torque or horsepower. A lighter flywheel as a lower moment of inertia (rotational mass). So for a given amount of torque it will spin faster. Your engine will rev up faster when you're on the gas and drop revs faster during shifts. Of course as soon as you let your clutch out your engine is connected to your wheels again and everything will be the same.

YK86
08-30-2002, 08:25 AM
Unless there's something seriously wrong with it (like fractures or a chipped ring gear), the flywheel usually only requires resurfacing which is about $25 at the machine shop.

87Hybrid
08-30-2002, 08:43 AM
Make sure that you take it to a good well known machine shop. I took mine to a local hole in the wall machine shop and they machined the wheel wrong. The accord wheel is a stepdown design where the presure plate mounting is at a different level than the clutch sits. If these 2 surfaces are not perpedicular then you will get terrible clutch chatter. I had to R&R my trans 3 times before I had a different tech tell me that he had to fix the machining f*%&up.

Chrome_thangs
09-01-2002, 09:44 PM
So resurfacing the flywheel will do it? I remember one of the mechanics telling me it's a good idea to resurface something, don't remember what though. Anyone here replace thier old stock clutch w/ a honda genuine replacement? How did it perform? Could you peel out, or even make them squeal a little? I know it was impossible for me even after my clutch was replaced w/ the stock tires on.

Sean
09-01-2002, 10:44 PM
more on the step down design. ive already posted about this. not only is parrallel important so is the distance between the top of the stepup and the clutch surface.this very critical distance must be corrected during maching or your clutch will ever see enough clamping pressure and will not only feel soft but will slip like crazy.trust me ive got one machine shop hear in baltimore whos does my flywheels and its becuase the correct all specs on all the flywheels i send them. i pay about 45 a surface job but its done right/ also this has fixed many problems with early clutch failure i had had before.

PhydeauX
09-01-2002, 11:36 PM
If anyone is interested in knowing, the step down should be .030".

andy

Dutchboy
09-02-2002, 07:40 AM
all you needed to do was get it resurfaced and change the pressure plate and bearings if you hadent done that....
whenever you change a clutch you also have to Read directions and perform a break in period to get it set right on the flywheel since nothing will be totally.true(as in good surfaces)
I relaced my old accords cltuch with a $130 kit and had the flywheel resurfaced and it worked fine ...nota problemo....had no problem burning rubber,,,,
Ben