PDA

View Full Version : Bad news for us 3Geezers

Legend_master
09-21-2006, 07:02 PM
I went to the Honda dealership today, because I needed to order the metal hose that runs between the two rubber hoses of the rear brake line (rear disk). The guy found the part and started to search his inventory. Then he told me that the part has been discontinued. I looked at him like :wtf: and asked how that could be. He told me that it is a part that doesnt go out often, and the car is close to 20 years old (my car is actually 20 years old, but the rear brakes are not :violin: ) so Honda no longer stocks that part. Honda is starting to discontinue all parts that were for cars before 1990 :thumbdn: . I guess they are not making profit on them, but I think this is bullshit. There are millions of 3geez still running and I know people are going to need parts. The shittiest part is that most the cars run for so many miles that they dont need the parts until they are 20 + years old. Ok that is my Rant :rant: .

Civic Accord Honda
09-21-2006, 07:05 PM
thats fucing bullshi# there are tons of 3rd gen accord and pre90s are the best

MessyHonda
09-21-2006, 07:14 PM
i guess thats why they made junkyards.....can you get that part online or something.....anyways i guess i should start taking rear disks at the junkyard....they had 2 se-is last time i went.

accord upset
09-21-2006, 07:15 PM
where did u go legend cause i was at the one in garland on shilo road like 3-4 days ago in my wifes car and dropped like 300 on parts

BeatThisLXI
09-21-2006, 07:33 PM
Let us all pray our brakes don't fail.
Maybe 3geesus will save us.

MessyHonda
09-21-2006, 07:35 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :welcome: to the site dude

w261w261
09-21-2006, 07:36 PM
It's the cycle of cars...first, the parts disappear from the Honda inventory because they've stopped making them, or they stopped some time ago and finally ran out the inventory. Next, the parts disappear from the junkyards. If the demand is great enough, someone will start making replacements. If not, it's every man for himself.

accord upset
09-21-2006, 07:37 PM
i bet u could get high pressure lines custom made to work in fact i have some numbers if you want em i'll have to find em. i wonder who we'll see fighting over the sei rears in the junkyard?

Legend_master
09-21-2006, 07:41 PM
where did u go legend cause i was at the one in garland on shilo road like 3-4 days ago in my wifes car and dropped like 300 on parts

I went to the one on I-20. They still make parts, but they are slowly going away. I plan to call technifit to see if they can make a connection to replace that metal line. I have steal braided lines, but they use that factory metal line in between them.

EDIT : LOL at 3geesus

88Accord-DX
09-21-2006, 07:46 PM
I can see the parts being phased out from the dealer. It isn't profitable for them to keep up the inventory of such old parts with all the new cars being made. Come on guys, Japan only has so much warehouse space on a island for Honda parts. lol

Well, if the 3rd Gen. Accord broke out like muscle cars in the aftermarket demand, I could see companies meeting the criteria.

AccordEpicenter
09-21-2006, 08:39 PM
coughnevergonnahappencough

A20A1
09-21-2006, 08:40 PM
I see metal hoses at napa for brake lines... and the pipe bender for them and fittings... I figure just use that right?

RamThis
09-21-2006, 09:18 PM
Did you try Huggins Honda? I've gotten odd things like the interior door handle cup (plastic part behind the handle itself broke on mine), got the prop rod retainer and latch plastics new from them, and a few other odd parts. Nice thing is, Huggins Honda is just a mile or mile and a half at most from my house! And on the other side of the street, is a Dodge dealership. Only one that's not close for me for parts is an Acura dealership (they're freakin high on parts too, holy bejeezus!!!!!)

Hope they dont DC the parts man, I'm just getting started on getting my car fixed up and ready for years of service, sure hope I dont end up with a car I can't fix in a few years when something breaks (I'm not a jy fan really, usually if it's in a jy, it's for a reason, but there are a few things I'd get from a jy, nothing mechanical though.)

Hash_man_Se_i
09-21-2006, 09:58 PM
That sucks... I don't quite understand why honda is discontinuing parts for older models... i mean they are even doing it for EF civics and CRX's which there is still a giant market for. For a company that prides itself on good quality and cars that last forever, they sure aren't making it easy to keep older cars on the road.

BeatThisLXI
09-21-2006, 11:22 PM
coughnevergonnahappencough

You know this guy kinda seems on the negative side. It could happen if enough people wanted to be cool kids like us. :-D :bandance: But on the plus side, thanks for the greetz, messy.

Oh and funny he should mention muscle cars, cause I want to capitalize on the square design of our cars and add a squared muscle-car looking hood scoop and a sunroof visor. With a short metal bolt-on spoiler painted to match my 'cord. Which by the way is light metallic bluish. I just hate those huge drag-creating metal or black spoilers that don't match the cars.

frantik
09-21-2006, 11:56 PM
they had 2 se-is last time i went.

which yard? i need me some rear discs. how much would they cost from the yard do you think?

:bowrofl:

86AccordLxi
09-22-2006, 12:53 AM

Seriously the best. quote. ever.

Alex

ZackieDarko
09-22-2006, 02:51 AM
omfgzlol

3geesus

LAWL

guaynabo89
09-22-2006, 04:02 AM
I see metal hoses at napa for brake lines... and the pipe bender for them and fittings... I figure just use that right?

Yeah did yo look into this?

Cause the sell them by lengths.

Legend_master
09-22-2006, 04:34 AM
Yeah did yo look into this?
Cause the sell them by lengths.

No I havent looked into this yet, but how do you bend them without crimping the line. Is it some form of a maderal bender? Also do you flare the end and use your stock end pieces.

smufguy
09-22-2006, 06:36 AM
i second what Mike mentioned. Even Summit sells brake lines with fittings and a flanger (the ones to make the flared out flange) so u can make custom lines and run them the way you want. I think the whole kit might be able to run you under 100 bux if any.

bobafett
09-22-2006, 09:15 AM
you can buy a hardline bender at sears for like $10. :) then buy a flaring tool.... voila you can buy brake hardlines in most lengths if you dont want to flare and just want to bend. :)

thegreatdane
09-22-2006, 10:14 AM
Where the heck have you yanks been living for the last 15 years?? You replace the old steel brake lines with copper brake lines. Very easy to work with, you bend them with your hands and they can be bent back and forth a lot of times without damaging them. The fittings come in many sizes, just look at your old ones to determine which ones you need. And as said you can get a tool to make the collar with/flange it.

mkymonkey
09-22-2006, 11:40 AM
yeah i was about to say that we could use copper lines....but ^^^^ beat me to it :D

and lol @ 3geesus

2ndGenGuy
09-22-2006, 12:10 PM
Welcome to the same world as 2geez.

3geezus! LOL, so far I haven't heard back from 2geezus yet, and I would think he's been around a little longer.

lostforawhile
09-22-2006, 01:11 PM
those parts are available at nappa,i just ordered parts to rebuild my rear brakes again. places like majestic honda often can get parts that other dealerships can't get or they say they can't get. also manchester honda. I think I rebuilt every part in my brake system and I didn't have to order anything from the dealer. a lot of parts like that that are available aftermarket they discontinue because nobody is going to pay 50 bucks for the same hose you can pay twenty bucks for. also try parts train,they carry stuff like oem reproduction corner markers and so on.

lostforawhile
09-22-2006, 01:24 PM
Where the heck have you yanks been living for the last 15 years?? You replace the old steel brake lines with copper brake lines. Very easy to work with, you bend them with your hands and they can be bent back and forth a lot of times without damaging them. The fittings come in many sizes, just look at your old ones to determine which ones you need. And as said you can get a tool to make the collar with/flange it.you never use copper for brake lines,at least not on the street,it's not designed to hold up in automotive applications. you need to use the DOT approved double wall steel wall tubing. you also need a tool that puts a special double flare on the end. they are available at most automotive stores and places like summit. brake fittings are not standard fittings. if you call summit I'm sure aeroquip makes the adaptors to convert over to metric where the lines attach to the master cyl. etc. no body in their right mind buys prebent metal brake lines from the dealer.

speedpenguin
09-22-2006, 02:46 PM
Well, y'all better start stocking up on rebuild parts all the same, cuz you never know when you can't get them.

PS
3geesus is 3genius.

HostileJava
09-22-2006, 03:21 PM
I could be 3geezus :)

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2/imag0743ro6.th.jpg (http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imag0743ro6.jpg)

ChaseR
09-22-2006, 03:33 PM
In a Honda Biblical Aspect, 3Geez Accord's are old Testament...

Legend_master
09-22-2006, 08:44 PM
you never use copper for brake lines,at least not on the street,it's not designed to hold up in automotive applications. you need to use the DOT approved double wall steel wall tubing. you also need a tool that puts a special double flare on the end. they are available at most automotive stores and places like summit. brake fittings are not standard fittings. if you call summit I'm sure aeroquip makes the adaptors to convert over to metric where the lines attach to the master cyl. etc. no body in their right mind buys prebent metal brake lines from the dealer.

Actually they are $15 or so a side from the dealership. I am thinking about just using a steal braided line in the place of the metal line.

RamThis
09-22-2006, 08:54 PM
Copper is a BAD idea!!! Heat will cause it to split or swell, it cannot hold up to what the stock steel lines are made to endure.

You can bend brake line with a small tubing bender, you can get them at Sears or most tool places. It works alot like a conduit bender, but on a smaller scale. I have one that I bent stainless tubing with to install a 28,000 GVW B&M Trans Cooler into my 2000 Dodge. Also, no flanging needed if you use AN style compression fittings, plus AN looks better, and it's aircraft quality.

Legend_master
09-22-2006, 08:58 PM
Copper is a BAD idea!!! Heat will cause it to split or swell, it cannot hold up to what the stock steel lines are made to endure.
You can bend brake line with a small tubing bender, you can get them at Sears or most tool places. It works alot like a conduit bender, but on a smaller scale. I have one that I bent stainless tubing with to install a 28,000 GVW B&M Trans Cooler into my 2000 Dodge. Also, no flanging needed if you use AN style compression fittings, plus AN looks better, and it's aircraft quality.

What exactly is an an style compression fitting?

RamThis
09-22-2006, 09:07 PM
If you've ever seen those blue or red anodized aluminum fittings on race car engines or on aircraft hydraulics, those are AN fittings. Jegs and Summit carry a TON of different fittings. Compression fittings are ones that the tubing slips into, and it has a small football shaped piece that fits around the tube, and when you tighten the outer shell, it squashes the little football down on the tube and seals it and compresses it to an inner tube, holding it firmly and sealed. Then to unhook it, simply loosen the fitting, and slip the tube back out. Works alot like the little compression fittings on your refrigerator ice maker, the little plastic tube that you put the threaded cap on, slip on the compression fitting, slip the whole thing on the other part of the fitting, and tighten the nut. Voila, instant gratification. :)

Legend_master
09-22-2006, 09:14 PM
If you've ever seen those blue or red anodized aluminum fittings on race car engines or on aircraft hydraulics, those are AN fittings. Jegs and Summit carry a TON of different fittings. Compression fittings are ones that the tubing slips into, and it has a small football shaped piece that fits around the tube, and when you tighten the outer shell, it squashes the little football down on the tube and seals it and compresses it to an inner tube, holding it firmly and sealed. Then to unhook it, simply loosen the fitting, and slip the tube back out. Works alot like the little compression fittings on your refrigerator ice maker, the little plastic tube that you put the threaded cap on, slip on the compression fitting, slip the whole thing on the other part of the fitting, and tighten the nut. Voila, instant gratification. :)

Now that sounds like a plan, I am going to check that out. I have seen those before, but I was not aware that is how they work.

RamThis
09-22-2006, 09:17 PM
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ha/anfittings.html

This talks about the 37* flare type AN fitting, but has some info on AN in general..
http://www.parker.com/tfd/fittingsolutions/ANFITTINGS.pdf

http://www.northernautoparts.com/Products.cfm?CategoryId=410

JEG'S AN Compression Fittings....
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?lang=-1&catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=17005

Summit's AN fittings.....
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&Ntt=AN+Fitting&searchinresults=false&N=+115

lostforawhile
09-22-2006, 10:39 PM
an fittings http://losts86hatch.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/ed313f49.jpg
http://losts86hatch.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/ed314401.jpg.w300h203.jpg

thegreatdane
09-23-2006, 11:15 AM
you never use copper for brake lines,at least not on the street,it's not designed to hold up in automotive applications. you need to use the DOT approved double wall steel wall tubing. you also need a tool that puts a special double flare on the end. they are available at most automotive stores and places like summit. brake fittings are not standard fittings. if you call summit I'm sure aeroquip makes the adaptors to convert over to metric where the lines attach to the master cyl. etc. no body in their right mind buys prebent metal brake lines from the dealer.

You are correct, you absolutely have to make a double collar, but I'd suspect such information to be included with the tool. But you are not correct on the copper brake lines. At least as far as europe goes, and I doubt it's different in the US. Copper lines have been used for many years here, and I can ensure you that there are no problems concerning safety and they will last alot longer than the steel lines.

I didnt mention anything about standard fittings, I said they come in many sizes.

The standard brake line size is 3/16" if I remember correctly.

Legend_master
09-23-2006, 12:00 PM
You are correct, you absolutely have to make a double collar, but I'd suspect such information to be included with the tool. But you are not correct on the copper brake lines. At least as far as europe goes, and I doubt it's different in the US. Copper lines have been used for many years here, and I can ensure you that there are no problems concerning safety and they will last alot longer than the steel lines.
I didnt mention anything about standard fittings, I said they come in many sizes.
The standard brake line size is 3/16" if I remember correctly.

Could I run copper pipeing with AN style fittings? I plan to rerout the brake line againts the wheel well instead of inbetween the strut and brakes.

thegreatdane
09-24-2006, 10:08 AM
Could I run copper pipeing with AN style fittings? I plan to rerout the brake line againts the wheel well instead of inbetween the strut and brakes.

What's AN style fittings? You can route them how you want really, just make sure they are properly secured and not rubbing against anything or being in direct contact with the chassis.

Legend_master
09-24-2006, 10:14 AM
What's AN style fittings? You can route them how you want really, just make sure they are properly secured and not rubbing against anything or being in direct contact with the chassis.

If you've ever seen those blue or red anodized aluminum fittings on race car engines or on aircraft hydraulics, those are AN fittings. Jegs and Summit carry a TON of different fittings. Compression fittings are ones that the tubing slips into, and it has a small football shaped piece that fits around the tube, and when you tighten the outer shell, it squashes the little football down on the tube and seals it and compresses it to an inner tube, holding it firmly and sealed. Then to unhook it, simply loosen the fitting, and slip the tube back out. Works alot like the little compression fittings on your refrigerator ice maker, the little plastic tube that you put the threaded cap on, slip on the compression fitting, slip the whole thing on the other part of the fitting, and tighten the nut. Voila, instant gratification.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ha/anfittings.html

This talks about the 37* flare type AN fitting, but has some info on AN in general..
http://www.parker.com/tfd/fittingsol...ANFITTINGS.pdf

http://www.northernautoparts.com/Pro...CategoryId=410

JEG'S AN Compression Fittings....
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=17005

Summit's AN fittings.....
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...s=false&N=+115

lostforawhile
09-24-2006, 03:01 PM
an fittings,these didn't post right from lycos http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/2050000-2050999/2050019_29_full.jpg

smufguy
09-24-2006, 04:11 PM
What's AN style fittings?

AN fittings stand for Army-Navy Fitting Thread style. normally these are the fittings that are used these days by aftermarket manufacturers to connect flxeible and rigid metal tubing which carry fluid (fuel, oil or brake fulid). the name arises from the joint agrrement of the Arny and Navy in regards to a certain specification of this fitting.

the AN fitting size ranges from -2 (dash two) to -32 (dash thirty two) with each step equating to the OD (outside diameter) of the tubing in 1/16" increments. so a -2AN will have an OD of 1/8".

so for example -2AN is (2 X 1/16 = 1/8)

All AN fittings are Flared fittings. The AN fittings for Aeromotive use is NOT THE SAME as the ones for marine and automotive use. Theoretically they are interchangeable, but practically they are not due to the design constrains that govern the aviation industry.

Hope that helps cuz it was a mouthful LOL

SQ is the SQUAD
09-24-2006, 05:11 PM
i need both those lines too, so let me know what you do

russiankid
09-24-2006, 06:48 PM
this sucks...but just order every part that is made for a 3g and have it sitting in the garage till it's needed? :lol:

lostforawhile
09-24-2006, 07:44 PM
AN fittings stand for Army-Navy Fitting Thread style. normally these are the fittings that are used these days by aftermarket manufacturers to connect flxeible and rigid metal tubing which carry fluid (fuel, oil or brake fulid). the name arises from the joint agrrement of the Arny and Navy in regards to a certain specification of this fitting.

the AN fitting size ranges from -2 (dash two) to -32 (dash thirty two) with each step equating to the OD (outside diameter) of the tubing in 1/16" increments. so a -2AN will have an OD of 1/8".

All AN fittings are Flared fittings. The AN fittings for Aeromotive use is NOT THE SAME as the ones for marine and automotive use. Theoretically they are interchangeable, but practically they are not due to the design constrains that govern the aviation industry.

Hope that helps cuz it was a mouthful LOLthey are the same but the aviation ones just have to be certified by the F.A.A. the idea of using AN fittings in cars originally came from the aircraft industry . race car builders got the idea from the aviation industry in other words. same for disc brakes by the way,they were originally designed for aircraft. lockheed and girling made some of the early disc brakes that were used on cars like the ac cobra. those early designs were adapted from aircraft use.

halxi
09-24-2006, 10:06 PM
I went to the Honda dealership today, because I needed to order the metal hose that runs between the two rubber hoses of the rear brake line (rear disk). The guy found the part and started to search his inventory. Then he told me that the part has been discontinued. I looked at him like :wtf: and asked how that could be. He told me that it is a part that doesnt go out often, and the car is close to 20 years old (my car is actually 20 years old, but the rear brakes are not :violin: ) so Honda no longer stocks that part. Honda is starting to discontinue all parts that were for cars before 1990 :thumbdn: . I guess they are not making profit on them, but I think this is bullshit. There are millions of 3geez still running and I know people are going to need parts. The shittiest part is that most the cars run for so many miles that they dont need the parts until they are 20 + years old. Ok that is my Rant :rant: .

lol cmon you should know why they do this.

So you have to buy a new car, and since you've had such good luck with your previous honda (which is 20yrs old, and its appearnt its doin good if you're still trying to fix it up and keep it driveable), you'll most likely buy another honda (new from them). Its their way of making a mass profit.

My best suggestion is hit up an autoparts store for an aftermarket one, a junkyard, or search every honda dealer nationwide if youre that desperate lol... there might be one stashed somewhere.

thegreatdane
09-25-2006, 01:45 PM

Hope that helps cuz it was a mouthful LOL

makes more sense now, thanks.

I wouldnt know if they'd be suited for brake lines though.

SQ is the SQUAD
09-25-2006, 03:04 PM
or just bring the old line to any brake shop and have them bend you a new one

vmars
09-25-2006, 04:54 PM
I found a great web site that may have what you need. Go to: Honda Parts - Internal Warehouse Source @ http://www.hondaautopartstore.com/index.html

I was lucky to find all the parts I need for my 1989 Honda Accord LX 4dr (carb). The site will tell you what engine you have and what chassis, too. That helps you find the exact part for your specific year and model.

Good Luck,

Let me know if you find what your looking for there.

Vmars.

russiankid
09-25-2006, 05:10 PM
if you visit www.rockauto.com, select Honda and year 1989, then select SE-i, then click on Brake/wheel hub, then disk hardware kit, it has the kit for SE-i rear disc brakes, im sure thats everything youmay need. But then again i could be wrong.

smufguy
09-25-2006, 05:46 PM
makes more sense now, thanks.
I wouldnt know if they'd be suited for brake lines though.

aftermarket brake fittings use -3AN for stock replacement/modification and Aftermarket/performance applications use a -4AN fittings.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/ssb-a1480009ss_w.jpg

The above is actually an universal brake line kit made by SSB (Stainless Steel Brakes) . As you can see, the three nipple looking silver ones are actually AN fittings. the banjo fittings on the top right are also AN standard fittings. The below is actually a link to the product line that SSBC offers at Summit Racing.
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=400336+315054+115&autoview=sku

thegreatdane
09-26-2006, 09:51 AM
Ship over a set of those and I'll be able to examine it closer :D

HostileJava
09-26-2006, 09:55 AM
aftermarket brake fittings use -3AN for stock replacement/modification and Aftermarket/performance applications use a -4AN fittings.
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/ssb-a1480009ss_w.jpg
The above is actually an universal brake line kit made by SSB (Stainless Steel Brakes) . As you can see, the three nipple looking silver ones are actually AN fittings. the banjo fittings on the top right are also AN standard fittings. The below is actually a link to the product line that SSBC offers at Summit Racing.
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=400336+315054+115&autoview=sku

Dang, those are pricey.