PDA

View Full Version : Horn doesn't work after steering wheel removal...

offthahook
09-21-2006, 07:21 PM
I just painted my steering wheel, along with some other interior trim pieces (off the car). I put the wheel back on and nothing for the horn. I disassembled the wheel to paint it, but I reconnected the two black wires back up like they were.

Couple interesting things though. Since day one, 3 of the horn buttons have been recessed into their square holes. Flush with the front cover and sorta loose feeling. Well, only ONE screw was holding the front cover of the wheel to the wheel itself. So, I put three new screws in and the horn buttons work really crisp now. Could someone have rigged that up because the horn wouldn't work otherwise? Also, I have PS and I put the collar back on all lined up right. The wheel is on tight and everything is good to go.

Also, while the wheel was bare for painting, I put it on for a second. I thought I would move the whip off the street. The SECOND I put the bare wheel on, the horn blares. I pulled that bare wheel off and thought "I wonder if I blew the fuse?" The fuse isn't blown because the other accessories on that circuit still work fine. It's late and dark here. so I just pulled the fuse out for the night. It'd be really funny if that horn went off at 5AM or something crazy like that. I really don't want to pull those covers off the steering wheel again! I know it's together right and no wires are loose. That copper "stick" on the face of the combo. switch... is it for the horn or the turn signal? I thought it rested on that metal circular plate on the back of the wheel. Then, when you pushed a horn button, the circuit grounded and you got sound. I didn't relube the metal plate on the back of the steering wheel, but that can't be it. Hell, the whole thing seems better than before. Any ideas? I seriously doubt the horns themselves are bad; there is NO sound when I push any of the buttons.:wtf:

A painted steering wheel makes the interior look so much cleaner!

Hazwan
09-22-2006, 11:48 PM
Yeah those copper thing on the combo switch is for the horn. Maybe you bent it somehow so it won't contact with the steering wheel?

2ndGenGuy
09-23-2006, 12:42 AM
If you contact the two brass rings togehter behind the wheel, does the horn go off? Isn't that how that's supposed to work? Or is there only one ring behind that wheel... hmmm. If theres only one, can't you ground it out to the center post on the wheel? Then if that works, you know the wiring is okay all the way up, and that it's something in the wheel.

Oh BTW. Post pics of that stuff man! That looks freakin' nice!

offthahook
09-23-2006, 10:25 AM
Well, I was able to duplicate the "problem" of the horn going off... If I strip the spokes and everything off the wheel, the center is metal spokes. If I slide the bare wheel over the shaft, the horn goes on constant. When I put the assembled wheel on, with the horn buttons and plastic covers, I get nothing. I push hard on the buttons, nothing. I wiggle the wheel, still nothing. It must be the clearnaces on the horn buttons and the ground wires not working right. Nothing is kinked, bent, corroded, etc. I'm thinking that's why the covers only had one (instead of four) screws; I think the gaps being slightly wider enabled the horn to work right.
2ndgenguy-- I was going to ask you if they yard still had that 1G Accord. I wanted to call them and see what they wanted for that steering wheel. I bet it's in the front seat, too. I should have just had you get it when you were there. Something in my steering wheel may be too tight somehow. It was HARD to get that center cap off and the covers fit very tight. Everything on the steering wheel just fit on there too tight in my opinion. Prolly easier just to get a "new" one and see if it works. I can always paint it.

Edit: Not sure there are two barss rings behind the wheel. There is a clean circular ring that has two posts for the black ground wires. The black ground wires are connected to the horn buttons and rest inside the center cap. You think I should jumper wire the two posts inside the center of the steering wheel? AFAIK, they probably are connected because they both are attached to that ring on the backside of the steering wheel itself.
I thought that I could attach pics. in my message without having to upload them to a host. Do I have to upload pics. or am I missing the attach. button?? I want to post them, but I don't want to upload them to a remote host.

ghettogeddy
09-23-2006, 10:29 AM
pics i want to see this painted wheel

2ndGenGuy
09-24-2006, 12:12 AM
Yeah, you have to upload pics to a remote host. I think they disabled hosting on the forum here.

I will call and see if they still have that car or not. It was stacked up ready to go to the crusher. :( Sad thing is that I had the wheel in my hand. I removed it myself. It was that creme color, but looked in decent shape. I found a 1981 Owners Manual in the car too, and I forgot to grab it :doh:

Thing is that I won't be able to get over to that JY until next Saturday. They close the yard at 4:00, as I found out after getting off work early only to get there and have them treat me like a dumbass. I should be able to call and ask them to pull the part... if the car is still there that is.

offthahook
09-24-2006, 09:21 AM
Yeah, you have to upload pics to a remote host. I think they disabled hosting on the forum here.

I will call and see if they still have that car or not. It was stacked up ready to go to the crusher. :( Sad thing is that I had the wheel in my hand. I removed it myself. It was that creme color, but looked in decent shape. I found a 1981 Owners Manual in the car too, and I forgot to grab it :doh:

Thing is that I won't be able to get over to that JY until next Saturday. They close the yard at 4:00, as I found out after getting off work early only to get there and have them treat me like a dumbass. I should be able to call and ask them to pull the part... if the car is still there that is.

Thanks man. I can call them if it would be easier. I can see what they want to ship it, along with some other stuff (if they pull it and are reasonable). I figure they're not going to sell anything off it and it will get crushed. :thumbdn: They might be able to get some stuff off it with their people. No biggie either way. There's gotta be something about my steering wheel that isn't quite right and the horn won't work unless it's rigged. Thanks again.

offthahook
09-24-2006, 09:29 AM
http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?bg=FFFFFF&image=http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/2403000-2403999/2403971_45_full.jpg

http://www.winkflash.com/photo/imagew2.aspx?i=83227768&c=2634492&z=0&v=7fa0sv4rutsdg57jxkgwhyvsrgg7vsqke3lrijsszknwjynm 6bngrgepfoyz8i5pwobxfonjxrnlzkhd

http://www.winkflash.com/photo/imagew2.aspx?i=83227772&c=2634492&z=0&v=7fa0sv4rutsdg57jxkgwhyvsrgg7vsqke3lrijsszknwjynm 6bngrgepfoyz8i5pwobxfonjxrnlzkhd

http://www.winkflash.com/photo/imagew2.aspx?i=83227777&c=2634492&z=0&v=7fa0sv4rutsdg57jxkgwhyvsrgg7vsqke3lrijsszknwjynm 6bngrgepfoyz8i5pwobxfonjxrnlzkhd

http://www.winkflash.com/photo/imagew2.aspx?i=83228101&c=2634492&z=0&v=7fa0sv4rutsdg57jxkgwhyvsrgg7vsqke3lrijsszknwjynm 6bngrgepfoyz8i5pwobxfonjxrnlzkhd

Hope they load.

EDIT: Just go to http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2403971/2 and scroll to the last few pictures.

2ndGenGuy
09-26-2006, 08:18 AM
Pics temporarily unavailable. And yeah that car is gone. :(

offthahook
09-26-2006, 09:59 AM
At least you got some stuff off it before they crushed it. Glad they called you before they killed it. Those pics. worked the other day; hopefully it is just the host and it is only temporary. I'm still on the prowl for those elusive 1G Accord parts.

Hazwan
09-27-2006, 10:04 PM
Wow the painted parts looks great. What paint did you use?

Have you figured out the horn problem yet?

edit: do you have any engine pics?

offthahook
09-28-2006, 05:12 PM
Wow the painted parts looks great. What paint did you use?
Have you figured out the horn problem yet?
edit: do you have any engine pics?

The paint is by SEM and it comes two ways. In a spray can pre mixed or by the quart. I buyu it by the quart and it's $38USD per quart, but a quart goes a long way. The paint shop I go to can custom mix to match a part I bring in. Very nice! I just bought a gallon (4 qts) for $116 and it will go super far, and I can get other colored used parts and make them look new again. The win. I prep the plastic stuff with adhesion promoter called "bulldog"; it's in a spray can at WAL MART. I've done some fabric with the SEM stuff and it works well there, too. The cloth stays soft, but the paint sticks well.

I haven't figured out my horn dilemma yet, but I know the horns do work. It's a matter of tracking down what is or isn't contacting the right way. I don't think I have any engine pics come to think of it... I'll take some at some point. I can tell you this whip is about to go in storage for the winter. Midwest winters and old Hondas don't mix well.

Civic Accord Honda
09-26-2007, 06:47 AM
hey can u link me to the paint in a can?
cuz i want to repaint my steering wheel and i dont want it to peel off or make my hands stick to it lol

offthahook
09-26-2007, 07:50 PM
hey can u link me to the paint in a can?
cuz i want to repaint my steering wheel and i dont want it to peel off or make my hands stick to it lol

Just go to an auto body supply shop and ask for SEM interior paint for plastics. I guess Krylon Fusion might work, too. Krylon is at Wal Mart, but it won't match perfectly. Like you really care though...:cheers:

MessyHonda
09-26-2007, 08:00 PM
Just go to an auto body supply shop and ask for SEM interior paint for plastics. I guess Krylon Fusion might work, too. Krylon is at Wal Mart, but it won't match perfectly. Like you really care though...:cheers:

i used the SEM stuff but they are like 12 bucks per can...but its worth it...i used it my interior.

Civic Accord Honda
09-27-2007, 04:18 AM
ok cool i need to redo mine in black, mine got white specs all of it from when i painted the car

2ndGenGuy
09-27-2007, 07:14 AM
ok cool i need to redo mine in black, mine got white specs all of it from when i painted the car

You could probably get those specks off with just some lacquer thinner and a rag...

Hazwan
09-27-2007, 09:07 AM

thats why theres something called masking tape :lol:

and yeah they probably will go off with laquer thinner. don't use too much or you'll damage the plastics.

offthahook
09-27-2007, 09:52 AM
thats why theres something called masking tape :lol:

Who knew?

Civic Accord Honda
09-27-2007, 07:04 PM
its easyer to just rool the front windows down when u paint a car

2ndGenGuy
09-27-2007, 08:59 PM
Working on cars is not easy. You should get that notion out of your mind, and take your time to do things right. :)

Civic Accord Honda
09-28-2007, 06:02 AM
lol i was limted on masking tape told my mom i needed to go to doller tree and get more she just said roll the windows down

offthahook
09-28-2007, 11:27 AM
lol i was limted on masking tape told my mom i needed to go to doller tree and get more she just said roll the windows down

The Hell? Just use a paint brush then...