PDA

View Full Version : Adding vtec

BeatThisLXI
09-21-2006, 07:56 PM
:wtf: I really want to add a VTEC to my engine, and I'd like to know EXACTLY what is required. Not just like my friend with the Integra Type-R Myles' "Oh just put a VTEC head and computer!" I mean for real! Thanks kids. Oh and if it's not worth it say so. Even if it isn't though, I still want it. After all VTECs are one of the most awesome things about honda. Except that the steering and handling is LIKE BUTTAH!!!

MessyHonda
09-21-2006, 08:04 PM
dude i just read that you dont want to swap the engine but you want to add vtech to your car....LOL you crack me up....you have to swap the engine if you want vtech....everything will have to be custom if you want a vtech engine into your car.

BeatThisLXI
09-21-2006, 08:07 PM
dude i just read that you dont want to swap the engine but you want to add vtech to your car....LOL you crack me up....you have to swap the engine if you want vtech....everything will have to be custom if you want a vtech engine into your car.

OK, then just to clarify a bit, I don't want it if you have to swap engines. Just wanted to know if it was possible without swapping.

895spdforfree
09-21-2006, 08:12 PM
its not possible at all, not even close.

88Accord-DX
09-21-2006, 08:16 PM
Yeah man, as long as I been around this site, most people just swap engines for V-TEC. I haven't seen anyone accomplish putting a dual OHC head on these A series engines.

MessyHonda
09-21-2006, 08:23 PM
Yeah man, as long as I been around this site, most people just swap engines for V-TEC. I haven't seen anyone accomplish putting a dual OHC head on these A series engines.

adam was close...he had a A20 block and a B20 head....that engine looked mean...it needs some major machining tho.to bad he got a civic.

bobafett
09-21-2006, 08:50 PM
sean was 'close' to getting a b16 head on an a20 as well. i think it will bolt on ok, but you have serious problems with water and oil passages.

basically the best way to get vtec is a swap. :) and even a swap will be making your own mounts, finding axles, wiring harness conversion, shifter linkage etc etc etc.....

the cheapest way to go fast in a 3g is boost baby.

Vector
09-21-2006, 08:53 PM
impossible to make a vtec cam for our heads, yep. but that doesnt stop me from making a cam gear that can be adjusted electronically. might you ask me how?:huh:

i got the idea from the distributor in our cars, how it can advance timing through a vac mechanical system, soooooooo why cant i apply the same technique to the cam gear? to adv 2-8degrees variably at a certain rpm? wouldnt exactly be vtec, but i'm sure it would help more than just a stock or a adj cam gear.

another question i have to this(sorry to jack) but with a stage 2 cam, would a adjustable cam gear even help?

bobafett
09-21-2006, 08:58 PM
how would you mechanically change the advance and retard of the gear? the belt would tend to pull it all the way to one range of adjustment before pulling the belt. and at that point you would need to go agains engine rotation to advance cam timing more. basically you would need to loosen the bolts on the adjustable gear, change it by a degree or so and bolt it back down again for this to work, and there is no feasable way i can see this working based on rpm/load/vaccum/anything.

electronic dizzy control is our best realistic bet.

either that or i am definetly not understanding your idea.... which is possible.

EDIT: the adjustable cam gear is designed to dial in one particular rpm range, you do usually give up part of your powerband in order to gain more power/tq in the area you desire.

as for a vtec style cam, that basically just helps low end power. not that it applies to us, but most race car b series setups actually disable and just use a hot single profile cam. less moving parts, less to go wrong, and they only need to make the power at the very top end. for pure topend power, vtec is worthless, it just allows a mild cam profile at low rpms that keep the car from feeling sluggish. usually in a race or when your in the right spot on your gears, this wouldnt even apply.

its funny cause people always think of vtec as this magic power adder, but i think of the vtec style cam profile to be exactly like a 282 or other topend favoring cam. the only difference is that the 282 doesnt have the ability to feel closer to stock cam at <5000 rpm. to me vtec is better low end, and 'normal' topend.

i never could get behind the idea of vtec honestly... theres no replacement for big cams and vtec just helps the little cam part of the cam. :) :) :D

oh well, just my non running accord opinion....

88Accord-DX
09-21-2006, 09:10 PM
Hey bobafett, you mentioned electronic dizzy which I agree on. I'm a little new on this topic. But if he wanted to use a electronic dizzy & adjustable cam. Just curious if he needs a ECU that is compatible for it? One that you can program to read what is needed. Follow me?

bobafett
09-21-2006, 09:13 PM
the pj0 ecu is not cabable of controlling an electronic dizzy without chipping it, which i think is pretty difficult, if possible at all.

basically the obd1 swap is what allows u to use a dizzy that is controlled electronically by the ECU stock. then u just get crome or some other engine tuning program and you can tune spark timing to whatever the heck u want. the cam gear changes are still totally possible, but then if you make changes to that you can change the ignition tables in crome to compensate and that how you tune it and get it just how you want. you will be able to change cam gear settings, but the ecu would never have any idea about it. so you would have to modify your tune to make sure its all right.

but you could feasibly use any standalone setup with crank trigger or any aftermarket electronically triggered dizzy as long as you had a way to program the timing maps. standalone or obd1 is basically the only choices that i have considered though.

Vector
09-21-2006, 09:18 PM
why wouldnt i be able to make a gear that can be adjusted on the fly?? i would just have to make it on a larger scale thats all, i will figure out away

when i do, i will post some drawings.

88Accord-DX
09-21-2006, 09:19 PM
Thanks, I was thinking something similar too. Some modern ECU that is chipped & hell to program.

AccordEpicenter
09-21-2006, 09:21 PM
If you really wanna go fast, you gotta get an E supercharger with a tornado, APC lights with a 3A racing muffler. Each sticker adds 5hp, and if its a Type R in Yellow its worth almost 15hp! If you wanna go REALLLY Fast, get V-TECH and NAWSSSSS, 2 big bottles. Dont use too much or it might blow the welds on the intake and youll have to have the mad scientist rip apart the block and replace the piston rings. I know how it is, i live my life a quarter mile at a time (~20 sec)too, so just get in line and wait for toretto

bobafett
09-21-2006, 09:22 PM
i just dont see how you would be able to apply and release pressure to keep the gear in the right spot. and on top of that, what would control it. how would you change the the adjustments forward and back while the engine is running? seems like changing adjustments while turning at 6000 rpm would be an awfully risky business.

to me it seems like something that would be a bad idea to have change, since its unlikely you will be able to get the system working while taking into consideration engine rpm, load, temp, etc, all factors that would significantly impact how the engine should be running.

Vector
09-21-2006, 09:26 PM
If you really wanna go fast, you gotta get an E supercharger with a tornado, APC lights with a 3A racing muffler. Each sticker adds 5hp, and if its a Type R in Yellow its worth almost 15hp! If you wanna go REALLLY Fast, get V-TECH and NAWSSSSS, 2 big bottles. Dont use too much or it might blow the welds on the intake and youll have to have the mad scientist rip apart the block and replace the piston rings. I know how it is, i live my life a quarter mile at a time (~20 sec)too, so just get in line and wait for toretto

you forgot the candian tire spinner hubcaps!!!:Owned:

88Accord-DX
09-21-2006, 09:34 PM
i just dont see how you would be able to apply and release pressure to keep the gear in the right spot. and on top of that, what would control it. how would you change the the adjustments forward and back while the engine is running? seems like changing adjustments while turning at 6000 rpm would be an awfully risky business.

to me it seems like something that would be a bad idea to have change, since its unlikely you will be able to get the system working while taking into consideration engine rpm, load, temp, etc, all factors that would significantly impact how the engine should be running.
Excatly, modern day PCM's (ECU) have the ability to make adjustments in when the spark plugs fire based on lots of info. from different sensors. If there was a way to hook up a PCM (OBD-II) that you can program, that would be the way to go.

snoopyloopy
09-21-2006, 09:36 PM
:wtf: I really want to add a VTEC to my engine, and I'd like to know EXACTLY what is required. Not just like my friend with the Integra Type-R Myles' "Oh just put a VTEC head and computer!" I mean for real! Thanks kids. Oh and if it's not worth it say so. Even if it isn't though, I still want it. After all VTECs are one of the most awesome things about honda. Except that the steering and handling is LIKE BUTTAH!!!
read this thread until your eyes bleed: http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47597

88Accord-DX
09-21-2006, 09:46 PM
read this thread until your eyes bleed: http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47597
Yeah, this is my favorite post. lol

Well not sure what drugs Sean was on when he first posted i was bored yesterday and i'm off work for two weeks so i thought i'll have a play with my engine bits, so pulled out my B20A head and got a A20A head gasket just to see how close they were. To my amazement they weren't that far off, the bolt holes were all the same even the locating dowels fitted. The only downside was that the two oil drains at the front of the B20A head would need to be welded up a little as they widen out over the A20 head gasket, and also the oil feed on the back of the block was a little bit out but not by much, with some work it could be made to fit an A20, ET or ET2/A18 block, now the major set back as it stands is that the cam gears overhang all the A20 and ET geras by quite a bit at least an inch and a half which means that no belt is going to be able to fit on and drive all the different pumps etc. Even if you get round that problem your then left with sorting out pulleys to drive the whole lot. So to me this is a whole load of pain that for a little bit extra power that can easily be had by just fitting a whole B20A and tranny anyway?? If you guy;s are lacking engines and tranny's U.K. market only sold manuals and theirs still a few engines and box's knocking around in yards and as secondhand cars in both Accords and Preludes although the Accords are rarer sor some reason B20A accord never really sold well over here.
Can be done but with custom pulleys, belts and a little bit of welding but is it really worth the trouble i think i'll stick to my ET1 and A20 for now and leave my B20A in my 2G Lude SI where it belongs.

Vector
09-21-2006, 10:12 PM
a20 cam wont fit an et head will it.

AccordEpicenter
09-21-2006, 10:23 PM
Ibtl

88Accord-DX
09-21-2006, 10:25 PM
Ibtl= I better talk later....

B16KILLA
09-21-2006, 10:47 PM

:stupid: I think I've read that thread atleast 4 or 5 times.

AccordEpicenter
09-21-2006, 11:28 PM
In Before Thread Lock

IBTL

88Accord-DX
09-21-2006, 11:35 PM
Well, there shouldn't be post to render such action. Sure there is more to be said. Cause us gear heads are willing to see more input....

BITESIZE
09-21-2006, 11:40 PM
How about you give me a $1,000, I'll kick you in the face and we'll call it even. You can't add v-tac...:)

88Accord-DX
09-21-2006, 11:43 PM
How about you give me a $1,000, I'll kick you in the face and we'll call it even. You can't add v-tac...:)
Ok guys. Let's talk tech talk, not b.s......:)

A20A1
09-21-2006, 11:59 PM
I doubt you can do it... you would have to have a balanced high tq motor that would have to hold up against the crank tq and overcome it to be able to rotate the gear... the crank would have more leverage to begin with though because it uses the cam gear which would be larger then anything you could fit onto the cam gear.

Maybe a hydraulic ram and some kind of spiral groove in the shaft to wedge and rotate the gear.
but then the shaft whould have to not rotate inside the hydraulic cylinder.

problem is how would you connect the ram(s) to the gear and have hoses that could spin with the gear as well?

the gear would have to have some kind of free spinning joint to feed oil through the shaft and up into the gear where the hydraulic ram could use it.

or maybe turn the spokes of the gear into hydraulic rams themselve with internal cylinders.

I dunno though since you'll be fighting centrifugal forces + the power of the cam /crank trying to spin the cam against the valves.

Vector
09-22-2006, 07:08 AM
you sir, just gave me an idea!

Ichiban
10-08-2006, 05:35 PM
I was thinking, if you want to advance/retard cam timing on the fly...mount your tensioner on a sliding plate with another idler against the front side of the timing belt. If you were to slide the plate to the rear of the engine, it would "kink" the timing belt on the front of the engine and allow it to straighten on the rear, pulling the cam gear forward in relation to the crank gear, effectively advancing the timing whilst maintaining belt tension. A diagram would probably help, but if you understand what i'm saying, you could do it in conjunction with an electric solenoid or maybe hydraulically. Trouble is, it will advance/retard your ignition as well.

Ichiban
10-08-2006, 05:38 PM
Maybe a hydraulic ram and some kind of spiral groove in the shaft to wedge and rotate the gear.
but then the shaft whould have to not rotate inside the hydraulic cylinder.

problem is how would you connect the ram(s) to the gear and have hoses that could spin with the gear as well?

the gear would have to have some kind of free spinning joint to feed oil through the shaft and up into the gear where the hydraulic ram could use it.

A rotary manifold you are talking about. Ever seen a hydraulic excavator? they can spin the house 360 degrees on the track frame, and the tracks are hydraulically powered. The engine and pump is in the house.

HondaBoy
10-08-2006, 05:41 PM
no, not worth it. would require the fabrication of a new cam design, probably relocation of the valves and possibly a complete redesign of the cylinder head. and of course the little things, vtec solenoid and what not, computer system. but, if you would want to swap an engine in with a vtec head already on it, then yeah that'd be worth while. maybe like a B or F series, or if money would allow a K series.

Ichiban
10-08-2006, 05:46 PM
my point was along the lines of variable valve timing as opposed to the actual V-TEC lobe switching system.

HondaBoy
10-08-2006, 05:53 PM
not to be a turd, but its one word all together "VTEC" when written out. just something that is a pet peave of mine. dunno why its overlooked. just for future reference. lol.

AccordEpicenter
10-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Just keep one of these in your car. Besides, its mAd tYtE JDM y0
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml00/00127.jpg

A20A1
10-08-2006, 06:05 PM
hehe

Anyways he was talking about Advance and retard, not different lobe profiles.

Ichiban
10-08-2006, 10:48 PM
...apparently a little more retard and a little less advance. Thats variable valve timing, not "V-TECHK"