PDA

View Full Version : tie rod removal question

alboy86
09-22-2006, 11:54 AM
well i got the bolt on the bottom of the rod almost out what would happen if i remove it all the way the haynes says dont do it cause itll seperate violently but could i take the nut off then use a mallet to tap it out or do i use the puller still

lostforawhile
09-22-2006, 01:53 PM
well i got the bolt on the bottom of the rod almost out what would happen if i remove it all the way the haynes says dont do it cause itll seperate violently but could i take the nut off then use a mallet to tap it out or do i use the puller stillI've taken that tie rod end off lots of times and it's never done that,I think thats to cover their ass is all. get a pitman arm puller they are cheap and will take apart any ball joint on this car including the tie rod end. I've got a picture on my suspension thread on car domain,let me loook for it.

lostforawhile
09-22-2006, 02:31 PM
heres a pic,this works the same on the tie rod ends. it will pop pretty loud sometimes so just don't put your face near it. steady even pressure and it will come out. http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid208/p9362b2889fdc7f83e8bc26b3fe091c21/ee5dbd17.jpg

Oldblueaccord
09-22-2006, 07:30 PM
well i got the bolt on the bottom of the rod almost out what would happen if i remove it all the way the haynes says dont do it cause itll seperate violently but could i take the nut off then use a mallet to tap it out or do i use the puller still

There meaning to leave the nut on so when it pops apart it doesn't go flying. its just a safety thing. Usually if you wack the sold arm part the tie rod will pop out without a puller. You dont want to rip the boot unless your changing the tie rod end out. That trick works as well for the picture above. Hit the solid part of the control arm (it has a flat on it) and the joint will seperate out.

wp

alboy86
09-22-2006, 08:06 PM
hehe thanks i got it out and changed it the passenger one was another story i ran out of day light so ill do it tommarow thanks for the help its pretty easy to do only thing with the passenger side one is the nut on the bottom of the rod isnt coming out easy and its about striped so ill see if maybe i can buy a better fitting socket for it the one i have sucks

Oldblueaccord
09-22-2006, 10:10 PM
A 6 point socket is what you want. Sears should have one. It has 6 flats if you look at it there less likely to strip a nut that the normal 12 point. You may want to get the nut completly off before you break the joint loose so the joint just doesnt start spinning around as you turn the nut . That can be really frustrating.

Remeber you'll have to get it re align. Messing with the tie rods messes with the toe adjustments.

wp