PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure Light! Help.

Jonessoda27
09-22-2006, 01:03 PM
Well, my oil is almost ready to be changed, I have give or take 500 miles left on this change. Last week, the oil light started blinking, so I just drove cautiously home, and checked the oil. The oil was not black, and it was in the middle of the two dots on the dipstick. I don't think it needed anymore oil, so I left it and that was it. I drove somemore since then and today I was city driving and it came on again. However, if I turn the car off and on again the light doesn't come on.

What is my accord telling me? Is there really a problem? A sensor issue? How much will this cost to fix.

I am kind of scared I am doing permanent damage on my car.

Well, any help/advice will me very appreciated.

Thanks.

BITESIZE
09-22-2006, 01:11 PM
The oil light will only blink if it's below 2 p.s.i. your sensor is most likely bad. I have one I can sell to you cheap. I just have to find it.

AccordEpicenter
09-22-2006, 01:37 PM
yeah right i bet you might have a serious oil pressure problem. Thats what happend to me, i had the oil light come on when driving due to bad bearings. I doubt its the sensor

BITESIZE
09-22-2006, 01:39 PM
If he had that low of pressure wouldn't his car run like poopy?

lostforawhile
09-22-2006, 01:47 PM
those sensors go bad all the time,after twenty years of heat and pressure the little rubber diaphram in there gives up. you need to confirm the pressure with a mechanical gauge. I would never depend on that sensor, I have a mechanical gauge and a sensor that turns on at a much higher pressure.

BITESIZE
09-22-2006, 01:48 PM
those sensors go bad all the time,after twenty years of heat and pressure the little rubber diaphram in there gives up. you need to confirm the pressure with a mechanical gauge. I would never depend on that sensor, I have a mechanical gauge and a sensor that turns on at a much higher pressure.

DIDDO here. Autometer.:welcome:

ChaseR
09-22-2006, 02:52 PM
back in 03 when I had my LX it started blinking like that for a few days. I had no choice but to drive it. When it went on solid I shut it down and had my Dad tow Me home, Oil Pump was on its last stand there. Ordered a replacement, installed and all was gravy.

AccordEpicenter
09-22-2006, 03:50 PM
My car ran ok right up with the oil light, was blowing the tires away 5 min prior to that. Even when it was cold, it would start up and run, no oil light and no noise, you need to try a real oil pressure gauge and see when the car is hot what the oil pressure is. Im betting its not just the sensor

BITESIZE
09-22-2006, 03:54 PM
I'll bet it's the oil pump or sensor.

Oldblueaccord
09-22-2006, 07:20 PM
ill hold the money................

bobafett
09-23-2006, 07:20 AM
just do yourself a favor and get an autometer electric oil pressure gauge. its worth the peice of mind. :) its nice i can start my car up everyday (not that i do :( ) and watch my 60-65psi of cold oil pressure. but i have a toga pump, stock i think is a bit lower than that

Jonessoda27
09-23-2006, 08:05 AM
I took it to the shop and im not really that good with cars, but the mechanic showed me that the oil pressure falls under 10 at idle, and he told me that it's fine at higher RPM. He said the motor is old, no cheap and easy fix, and he told me to put heavier oil in. Said the engine is on its way out.

???

Oldblueaccord
09-23-2006, 12:45 PM
yeah he menas the bearings are going bad. The thicker oil might help a little to give you more pressure. But the motor os notto long forthis world.

On the cheap you can try and just change the oil pump and see if you can get better oil pressure. there like 60-80 dollars.

wp

88Accord-DX
09-23-2006, 01:15 PM
To test the oil pressure sensor. You need a digital scale. Put a wire (staight piece of paper clip) up in the sensor & place the other end on the scale. Then hook up a digital multimeter to ground & the positive side to the sensor. Set the DVM to ohms reading. Apply pressure to the sensor & watch the DVM to see when you have Ohms reading while watching the scale. As mentioned, should be around 10 lbs. Anything above that, the sensor is shot.

To actually see what kind of pressure you have. Hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge to the oil pressure sending unit. (about $40 at parts store)
If your readings are below specs, more than likely your main & rod bearings have to much wear. (clearance) Your oil pump could be going too as mentioned.

lostforawhile
09-23-2006, 01:43 PM
I took it to the shop and im not really that good with cars, but the mechanic showed me that the oil pressure falls under 10 at idle, and he told me that it's fine at higher RPM. He said the motor is old, no cheap and easy fix, and he told me to put heavier oil in. Said the engine is on its way out.
???probably so,but if your pump is getting old it can also do the same. it's a gearrotor design so if it's worn it's not as efficient at low rpms.

AccordEpicenter
09-23-2006, 03:07 PM
switch to 20w50 oil and hope for the best. My main bearings were chewed to shit and thats why one of them spun. It had been making rattle noises in the bottom end pre-turbo install for like 20k miles before hand. Its just gonna prolong the inevitable, unless you want to rebuild/re bearing the engine... You might be better off with a junkyard shortblock and rebuild it and use the head you have (You can diy it for cheap, dereck had a thread about it, ddude2c)