PDA

View Full Version : 4 channel amplifier question

nskforlife
09-23-2006, 06:23 PM
I have a question for any person who does know the answer by experience....

I have a 4 channel amplifier that i'm going to hook up to all 4 of my speakers. The amp asks for 2 pre-amp inputs. 1 for the front 2 speakers, and 1 for the back 2. unfortunately my old pioneer head unit onle has 1 pre-amp output. COuld I Split The Rca signal from each wire to the Amp???

Y/n? any other options for me to do.

Hash_man_Se_i
09-23-2006, 07:21 PM
A line level converter is your new best friend.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/pix/converter.jpg

Here is an example of what you need... It will take the signal from your speaker wire and convert it into an RCA line out. That way it will be set up properly.

Sabz5150
09-23-2006, 07:33 PM
A line level converter is your new best friend.
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/pix/converter.jpg
Here is an example of what you need... It will take the signal from your speaker wire and convert it into an RCA line out. That way it will be set up properly.

I don't like those things. High level outputs are designed to output to speakers.

To answer the original question, yes you can split the RCA outputs. You also might want to check if it will power all four from one set. My Pioneer amp does that.

I don't have to tell you that wiring it up the way you want to will render your front/rear fader useless.

carotman
09-24-2006, 06:41 AM
The converter isn't that bad.

If you split the RCA signal, you'll end up with a very low signal on those 4 outputs. Might work tough. The only way is to try it out and check if it works ok. If not, I suggest that you get one of those Clarion Equalizers. It will bump up the signal and you will be able to control the front/rear and left/right signal from there.

Sabz5150
09-24-2006, 08:00 AM
The converter isn't that bad.
If you split the RCA signal, you'll end up with a very low signal on those 4 outputs. Might work tough. The only way is to try it out and check if it works ok. If not, I suggest that you get one of those Clarion Equalizers. It will bump up the signal and you will be able to control the front/rear and left/right signal from there.

Agreed. A nice EQ would solve all problems plus give you a lot of extra benefits.

nskforlife
09-25-2006, 06:21 PM
ya. well i'm gonna try splitting the rca signal, if it doesn't work, i'll get a newer h/u since mines pretty old anyways. while an eq would be good. Where are you gonna mount it for it to be a suitable location????