PDA

View Full Version : MP3 in the 3gee

HondaBoy
09-25-2006, 05:06 PM
well for some time i've had my fairly nice Kenwood HU. love it and all, but it had not front connections for an MP3 player or anything. i had a FM transmitter but it really just sucked ass to tell you the truth. that was made by Belkin. anyway, so today i was out an about with my buddy and we went and checked out what Best Buy had. so i found a direct connect addapter for my Kenwood HU. it was very easy to plug in. pretty much like what you'd use for an auxiliary CD changer like in the trunk or an equalizer. i installed that and plugged in rca jacks that go to like a headphone type plug. so now i can use just about anything i want. i have a Creative Zen micro, but an Ipod will work also with it. anyway, the sound quality is great and i'd recommend this product for being so easy and simple and of good quality. the one pictured below is what i used for my Kenwood. but they also have a wide range of other addapters for stock and aftermarket HU's.

http://peripheralelectronics.com/web/products.asp

http://peripheralelectronics.com/web/aux_in.asp

http://peripheralelectronics.com/images/products/aux_in/pxrken.jpg

Sabz5150
09-25-2006, 06:05 PM
FM transmitters bite. Glad to see you got a better connection.

nskforlife
09-25-2006, 06:34 PM
you want mp3??? check out mp3car.com theres some crazy things done so people can listen to mp3's whenever they want at the click ot a button mouse touchscreen etc...

HondaBoy
09-25-2006, 11:28 PM
i usually just listen to my own music in my car or house so i didnt really want to go very high tech. gotta say it sound really clean now. i think i'm just gonna take my cd collection out of the car so i can just have this one small MP3 player. only thing is that i need to get a charger for it so i can keep it on for a while on longish drives. that'll be another easy one. it uses a usb plug to chage the player.

TheWatcher
09-26-2006, 09:32 PM
Why not just plug your mp3 player into the HU's AUX via an RCA to stereo headphone HPC cable?

The cable is easy to find and cheap.

Peace.

ghettogeddy
09-26-2006, 09:39 PM
Why not just plug your mp3 player into the HU's AUX via an RCA to stereo headphone HPC cable?

The cable is easy to find and cheap.

Peace.
like under 3 bucks but hes headunit may not have an aux out

BITESIZE
09-26-2006, 09:41 PM
I am using a samsung pocket mp3 player hooked up through the dvd input of my car cd player with rca cables.

frantik
09-26-2006, 11:00 PM
sweet.. thats basically what I made to connect my ipod to the stock head unit :) (though mine has it's own socket on it too so i could plug in my eq :D :D)

HondaBoy
09-27-2006, 10:51 AM
the only input into the my HU was the one that i plugged the addpater to. no rca inputs, only outputs. that would have been easier, but it still sounds great and didnt require wiring.

DBMaster
09-27-2006, 11:19 AM
I went this route last year with my Creative Labs Muvo2 FM 5GB player. My aftermarket CD deck is an Aiwa (cheapo) which had an aux jack right on the front. Sound quality is indestinguishable from CD's to me and I have 100 CD's worth of music on the one little player. I only end up having to charge it about once a week.

HondaBoy
09-27-2006, 08:41 PM
i need to get a car charger for my MP3 player. which really shouldnt be too hard. the Motorola chargers have the usb type connection so i'll probably just ask my buddy that has one if i can get it.

FyreDaug
10-23-2006, 11:48 AM
you want mp3??? check out mp3car.com theres some crazy things done so people can listen to mp3's whenever they want at the click ot a button mouse touchscreen etc...

yeah we build carputers, in dash touchscreens ftw

FyreDaug
10-23-2006, 11:53 AM
i usually just listen to my own music in my car or house so i didnt really want to go very high tech. gotta say it sound really clean now. i think i'm just gonna take my cd collection out of the car so i can just have this one small MP3 player. only thing is that i need to get a charger for it so i can keep it on for a while on longish drives. that'll be another easy one. it uses a usb plug to chage the player.

you can modify it to work on your cars power too. You need an extra usb cable and resister

HondaBoy
10-23-2006, 11:41 PM
interesting, i'll have to look into what i can get like that. my MP3 player uses a USB type connector to transfer music off my computer and also charge. i usually just charge it off my cable box in my room since it has a USB plug. but i'll see if i cant find something that plugs into the 12 volt socket in the car. maybe just get a motorola charger that has that USB plug, i still havent asked my friend that had a few laying around.