PDA

View Full Version : Inverter Hardwired Into Car (Large Pics)

2ndGenGuy
09-27-2006, 08:19 AM
So, I decided this weekend to take a huge risk, and cut apart my rare center console. I installed a 120VAC outlet in the car, and hardwired it to an inverter in the trunk. Hooked a cruise control switch from an 87 Accord to a relay to turn the inverter on and off.

Here it is all wired up:
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n84/jturkx/IMG_2077.jpg

More shots of the wiring:
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n84/jturkx/IMG_2078.jpg

Here it is installed in the center console. Note the switch on the left side of the console. I know the carpet looks really dirty, but it's just the flash washing out the colors a little bit. It was dark in the garage and my car doens't really look that bad.
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n84/jturkx/IMG_2103.jpg

And here's the trunk after its all back together. All nice and hidden away:
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n84/jturkx/img_1392.jpg

MessyHonda
09-27-2006, 08:30 AM
looks good. so now you can hook up like a laptop and use a free hotspot to check on 3geez.com...lol

2ndGenGuy
09-27-2006, 08:38 AM
... yeah actually. You should see the magnetic WiFi antenna I have. Its a monster :bandit:

BITESIZE
09-27-2006, 09:40 AM
How'd u do the carpeting and how much $?

mkymonkey
09-27-2006, 10:11 AM
lol im more impressed with your trunk than with your cool inverter thing lol

2ndGenGuy
09-27-2006, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the compliments. :)

The carepting cost me maybe $40-50 for the whole project. I just went down to the local foam and fabric shop. They sell all sorts of foam, rolls of insulation, and carpeting. I snagged about 3 yards of carpet for like $6 a yard or something like that. Then I bought a sheet of 3/4 inch MDF for the box and the floor in the trunk. Also bought some carpet padding that you put in your house.

I made a cardboard template of the shape of the trunk floor. Drew it out on the MDF and cut it. Then I use spray on upholstery glue, and glue the carpet padding to the MDF, then glued the grey trunk carpeting to the padding.

For the sides on the inside of the trunk, it was even easier. I just unsnapped all of that crappy looking rubber or foam sides, whatever those are made of, and glued the carpet right onto them. Then I cut around the outside edges, poked the holes and snapped them into place.

Actually while I was in there, I sprayed a bunch of that Great Stuff into some of the crevaces around the wheel wells where you can't see, and laid down Dynamat in a few select places. Theres actually Dynamat on the insides of the rear quarterpanels too.

Basically it's cheap to redo your trunk, and pretty damn easy. The hard part for me was laying down the new floor piece, and cutting it to fit just perfectly in the trunk, yet still be snug enough to not move around.

BITESIZE
09-27-2006, 11:52 AM
I'm going to do my whole car with that carpet, except black.

smufguy
09-27-2006, 12:12 PM
It looks very clean man, nice job. What about the heat generated by the Amps? with it enclosed by carpet, u think its something not to be worried about?

BITESIZE
09-27-2006, 12:16 PM
you should mount some computer fans under there.

2ndGenGuy
09-27-2006, 12:23 PM
Well there isn't really a whole lot of heat generated in there. My subwoofer amp is mounted on the back of the rear seat, so its fully open. The MTX that's down there gets pretty warm, but never overheats or gives me any problems. I abuse it fairly hard too. I I've never had it go into protect mode or distort or blow any fuses, so I figure it will be fine.

The Inverter has it's own fan built in, so it keeps itself cool. Though I guess it's only recirculating the hot air down there. I haven't had any problems with it so far. That other two things in the trunk, are my power distribution block, and XM tuner. Neither of them generate any heat. So heat really isn't much of an issue.

I thought about the computer fans thing, but decided I'd see how the heat issue is. Since it's not too bad, I don't think I'll worry about it right now. You can actually buy amps that specifically are designed to go into hidden compartments like this and won't overheat. I think that when I upgrade my MTX, I'll probably look for something along those lines.

BITESIZE
09-27-2006, 12:37 PM
Get a tube and mount a fan at the end of it. Have the tube go to a concealed spot so it gets fresh air.. :)

2ndGenGuy
09-27-2006, 12:44 PM
That would be sweet! CAI for the trunk!

mkymonkey
09-27-2006, 01:34 PM
i know that the 3g's have a slot where it gets fresh air from in the trunk...you could run something to that if the 2g's have them :D

guaynabo89
09-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Looks good! I guess you use alot of thigns that require power in your car. All you need is a 7 inch screen in the center console and you can bring your ps2 on long trips:D

Oh are these audio jacks at the back of the center console?

2ndGenGuy
09-27-2006, 03:30 PM
Why yes those are. Aux inputs for my stereo. For the iPod that's sitting in the center console. :) Actually I'm eventually going to make a dock for the iPod so I just pop it in and go.

guaynabo89
09-27-2006, 04:37 PM
Why yes those are. Aux inputs for my stereo.

well add a yellow right next to those red and white ones :D

offthahook
09-28-2006, 08:45 PM
So fresh and so clean. On a 2G Accord no less! Where's Mad Mike from "Pimp my Ride"??? He could get a plasma on the interior roof for ya. Looks good man.

smufguy
09-29-2006, 05:38 AM
I got one word for you. FREAK!! lol, i just noticed the 120V outlets by the center console, lol u crazy.

xvok
08-04-2007, 01:18 PM
ya john it think to relly make this car pop you need to put tvs on the front fenders

2ndGenGuy
08-05-2007, 02:27 PM
ya john it think to relly make this car pop you need to put tvs on the front fenders

I was gonna turn the hood into a big TV, then make a transparent trunk and toss some 22's on it with a lift. Then it would be a Japanese box. :)

84Accord
06-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Looks good! I guess you use alot of thigns that require power in your car. All you need is a 7 inch screen in the center console and you can bring your ps2 on long trips:D

Oh are these audio jacks at the back of the center console?

does anyone know where to get that center console?

MessyHonda
06-08-2008, 05:14 PM
^^^ you can find them in the junkyard

codyJDM
06-08-2008, 05:54 PM
This is beautiful. Great work, very impressed at how thorough you've been! :thumbup:

84Accord
06-08-2008, 06:55 PM
^^^ you can find them in the junkyard

ive been looking for awhile now. every junkyard that ive been to does not have many 2g accords

what trim levels did they come on standard? or was it a factory option?

AccordB20A
06-09-2008, 01:00 AM
thats such a nice job of your bootlid, cant wait to make mine !

2oodoor
06-09-2008, 03:16 AM
I never saw this thread before, very neat work on the receptacles 2ndGGuy

Lil Mike
06-09-2008, 05:24 AM
wow really clean center console looks like you put alot of effort into the trunk aswell, nice work :cheers:

2ndGenGuy
06-09-2008, 11:22 AM
That center console I think was just an option. I've seen it in base models and LX models. No real rhyme or reason to which cars it's in. They're kinda hard to find but they're out there. I found two at the yard near me. One is for my spare though :D and the other I gave to my friend for his 2g hatch.

Also, I REALLY hate how those pics make my car look dirty! It's not dirty!!!! :tongue:

2oodoor
06-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Also, I REALLY hate how those pics make my car look dirty! It's not dirty!!!! :tongue:

I was not going to say anything since it was two year old dirt, LOL , Dam your car was dirty dude..
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n84/jturkx/img_1392.jpg

84Accord
06-10-2008, 01:30 PM
That center console I think was just an option. I've seen it in base models and LX models. No real rhyme or reason to which cars it's in. They're kinda hard to find but they're out there. I found two at the yard near me. One is for my spare though :D and the other I gave to my friend for his 2g hatch.

well if you or anyone finds one i'd be more than happy to buy it off em shipping and everything else. its less of a hassle for me to get that than do what i was planning on doing.

2ndGenGuy
06-10-2008, 01:38 PM
I'll let you know if I ever find another one. I'm always keeping my eyes peeled at the wrecking yard.

84Accord
06-10-2008, 03:20 PM
thanks a lot. really appreciate it.