PDA

View Full Version : Removing tint from rear defroster window???

RamThis
09-27-2006, 04:54 PM
Not really a 3G question, but it applies to all cars with rear defrosters. I need to scrape the tint from my Integra windows so I can have it re-tinted, it was cheapo stuff the last owner used and it's been faded to clear nearly since we've owned the car.

How do you remove the tint on the rear window without using a razor blade? Heat Gun?

ghettogeddy
09-27-2006, 05:02 PM
u shoukd be able to use the heat gun and peel it off but find out how much the shop your going to will do it for u

MessyHonda
09-27-2006, 05:11 PM
can you use like goo gone or something like that?....but yeha im with geddy take it to a tint shop and ask how much they charge....they might do it cheap it you get the tint...lol

BITESIZE
09-27-2006, 05:20 PM
My friend used ammonia and a mask.

89T
09-27-2006, 06:24 PM
you can sweat it off.
it takes all day but you need a good hot day with plenty of sun.

cut open a black trash bag soak the window place the bag directly over the amonia. press or squegie the edges and the center to hold the bag to the window then park the car out in direct sunlight.
let it bake with all windows closed for about 2 hours reapply amonia and bag for another 3 hours.
take a razor blade pealing up the edges and pull slowly by hand.
the tint should come off simi easly. you may have to use a heat gun.
once all the tint is off hard part comes in.
get a copper kitchen scrub pad and amonia based window cleaner spray and scrub.....spray and scrub....
do not razor blade any of the defroster lines.
If you do not get all of the glue off they might charge you slightly more for the retint.

ghettogeddy
09-27-2006, 06:29 PM
when i got mine doen they removed ike 3 stickers that wer eon the inside free of charge and anything else that was stuck to it lol

RamThis
09-27-2006, 07:12 PM
I'll ask and see, since it's a hatch back car it will be easier to get to the rear window, but, the teg has some odd shaped interior panels that come out past the glass edges making it a PITA to get to certain parts of the glass. I may just scrape the side windows and the rear corner windows and leave the back for the pros to do lol.

Civic Accord Honda
09-27-2006, 08:50 PM
When i Took the tint off of are old subaru i used WINDEX and a RAZAR

MessyHonda
09-27-2006, 08:52 PM
When i Took the tint off of are old subaru i used WINDEX and a RAZAR

he said he wanted another alternative than the razor....cuz of the defog lines....read dude

RamThis
09-27-2006, 09:59 PM
Got the stuff off the door windows, PITA man. The driver glass cleaned up real nice. I scraped it with a fresh razor, then cleaned up any leftover adhesive with some Acetone, and used some Sprayway glass cleaner to shine it up.

Passenger side, well, it wont come clean for some reason. Did the same thing as I did on the driver side, and I CANNOT get that damn greasy looking film off the inside of the glass!! Plus, for some reason, the water spots will not go away!! Im tired and I'm going to bed, I'll screw with it some more tomorrow evening. Any suggestions would be helpful. I'm going to try a battery of chemicals to see what will get rid of that film inside that wont clean off, starting with some denatured alcohol, followed by some carb cleaner if that dont work lol. If neither of those do the trick, a combination of those two, and a match added in might cure my frustration.... :gun:

Civic Accord Honda
09-27-2006, 10:50 PM
he said he wanted another alternative than the razor....cuz of the defog lines....read dude
i know i was just saying what i used and it worked great and did not scerw up the defoger lines

MessyHonda
09-27-2006, 11:00 PM
i know i was just saying what i used and it worked great and did not scerw up the defoger lines

alright next time say that.:rocket:

frantik
09-28-2006, 12:19 AM
check the tintdude.com forums.. they could probably help you out

russiankid
09-28-2006, 03:52 AM
when i got mine doen they removed ike 3 stickers that wer eon the inside free of charge and anything else that was stuck to it lolwell im guessing thats part of there job...they do have to clean the windows anyways. I have a sticker on the rear window that has been there hell knows how long....kinda baked on there:rant: