PDA

View Full Version : How to Remove Thermo Sensor at Bottom of Radiator

kw_da
09-27-2006, 05:40 PM
Hi,

The thermosensor at the bottom of the Radiator is bad on my 86 Lxi. What is the best way to remove - from the top? from the bottom? Remove fan? Looking for someone who has done this - someone said it was a 5 minute job on another thread - but didn't say how he/she got access.

Thanks,

David

shepherd79
09-27-2006, 05:46 PM
the best way to do it is from the bottom with the front of the car jacked up in the air.
If you still have plastic protective piece under the car, you will have to remove it to get the sensor.

A18A
09-27-2006, 05:50 PM
i didnt need to jack the car up to get mine out (prolly coz i got a small head) i justsqueezed myself under the bumper till i saw the radiator, got the spanner and loosened it, took it out and had water all over my face, i i suggest loosen it, then crawl out and then unscrew it with ya fingers :)

accord upset
09-27-2006, 05:52 PM
i need one of those sensors how much are they and where did u get one? i just jumperd the terminals for now but as soon as i turn on my car the fans come on i dont like it.

A18A
09-27-2006, 06:11 PM
i got mine from my other car :)

shepherd79
09-27-2006, 06:23 PM
you can get them from any autoparts stores or honda dealers. just ask for fan sensor/switch.

MessyHonda
09-27-2006, 07:01 PM
yeah i think mine is bad also....i should replace it

kw_da
09-27-2006, 08:26 PM
the best way to do it is from the bottom with the front of the car jacked up in the air.
If you still have plastic protective piece under the car, you will have to remove it to get the sensor.
Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply - going to try it now. I have to remove about 20 nuts to get the peice of plastic off, but it looks pretty easy once I get it off. Luckly it looks like I can use an o2 socket to get it off.

David

ps I bought my part from Majestic - $33 but the original one lasted 20 years/249,000 miles.

jschatte
09-27-2006, 08:43 PM
I got mine for 25$ at napa. To remove it i took off that black thing on the bottom of the car, drained the radiator, and unscrewed the switch. Also, while you have the coolant out of the radiator, check to see if it is all cloged up. Mine was-i got it cleaned out and repainted for 50$

88Accord-DX
09-27-2006, 09:37 PM
I purchased mine from NAPA, was about $15. (get a discount) It takes a 22 mm. wrench to get it off. Here is a pic of the sensor inside a wrench. (bottom right on the pic)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ddude2uc/radiator.jpg

Tailfin
09-27-2006, 11:44 PM
And don't get it from Autozone...the morons gave me one that didn't even fit...and don't get "Standard Motor Products" brand...it didn't work...

I personally prefer from the top. The cooling fan comes out with 4 nuts...the bottom ones are a bit of a wench to get to, but uhh...well, once I got them, I only put the top two in now :rockon:

Anyhoo, either will do. But from the bottom, yeah...I'd heed Overdose's advice...don't drink coolant.

kw_da
09-28-2006, 07:37 AM
I purchased mine from NAPA, was about $15. (get a discount) It takes a 22 mm. wrench to get it off. Here is a pic of the sensor inside a wrench. (bottom right on the pic)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ddude2uc/radiator.jpg
Hi,

Thanks to all that replied. I was able to access the sensor from the bottom & get an adjustable wrench on the sensor & remove & replace ... so far, so good.

How do you get a discount from NAPA? They appear to have pretty good quality parts, but a little expensive (sometimes more than Majestic Honda). I try to buy Honda parts if I can since I don't want to deal with installing a part only to find out its bad (bad rebuilt master cylinder from Pep Boys). I also read in some other threads/forums that there are a bunch of cheap thermosensors that are DOA, or don't last long.

Of course, in the process of replacing the sensor, I found some oil leaking from around the oil pan, hopefully its just loose bolts (tightened them) and not something else (like the oil pump).

Regards,

David

MessyHonda
09-28-2006, 07:48 AM
Hi,
Thanks to all that replied. I was able to access the sensor from the bottom & get an adjustable wrench on the sensor & remove & replace ... so far, so good.
How do you get a discount from NAPA? They appear to have pretty good quality parts, but a little expensive (sometimes more than Majestic Honda). I try to buy Honda parts if I can since I don't want to deal with installing a part only to find out its bad (bad rebuilt master cylinder from Pep Boys). I also read in some other threads/forums that there are a bunch of cheap thermosensors that are DOA, or don't last long.
Of course, in the process of replacing the sensor, I found some oil leaking from around the oil pan, hopefully its just loose bolts (tightened them) and not something else (like the oil pump).
Regards,
David

its not what you knoe its who you knoe.....to get discounts....i get discounts at honda, napa and now with mr Picopop....im only 18 so i try to get my moneys worth