PDA

View Full Version : engine wouldn't start.. timing?

custom
09-30-2006, 12:44 AM
i have an 86' honda accord with performance coil and MSD box. two days ago i wanted to replace the distributor. i place the replacement on their and didn't connect two wires going to the ignition box and attempted to start the car, of course it didn't start. but after replacing the wires, i attempted to start the engine and it wouldnt start . i then put the old distributor back on and attempted to restart the engine. it didn't start. the car is getting fuel and is getting spark from the coil to the distributor to the spark plugs and still wont start. the rotar button is a few months old and so is the distributor cap and i got a new battery. i really dont know whats wrong and why it would not start. the distributor is in the same spot as the old one.
i even got some of that spray that helps you start the engine and it wouldn't do a thing. the car also back fires when i would some times attempt to start it.can someone please help"I got to get to work on time" and how do you adjust the engine timing?

Oldblueaccord
09-30-2006, 12:29 PM
Sounds like your in a tuff spot. The only thing I could add is while the car is cranking move the distributor around and see if you can get it to fire off.

I assume your using a stock distributor ? I'm not sure but maybe you out it in 180 degrees out > Not sure if you can do that on our cars if the tab is tapered going to the cam or not.

wp

MessyHonda
09-30-2006, 06:59 PM
you sure your timing belt has not snaped?

EricW
09-30-2006, 07:19 PM
I hate to even ask this since it sounds like you've done everything else, But did you put the plug wires in the right order? I know i accidentally did it once when straighten out my wires but quickly realized the problem.

The distributor won't fit quite right if it is 180 drg. off since the tabs on the cam key are slightly off center so it will only fit all the way in one way.

2oodoor
09-30-2006, 07:35 PM
I have a feeling it is something simple , may have popped a fuse, or rotor button and dist cap is not fitting well together now. also coil wire. Maybe you need someone to crank the car over while you move the dist around some.

custom
10-09-2006, 09:18 AM
i found the problem, the next day thanx to my cousins who are mechanics. .my timing was off 180 degrees, so i had to redo the distrubutor wiresto 1,3-4,2. so, i had to put them in reverse order. thanks alot people.

MessyHonda
10-09-2006, 10:03 AM
i found the problem, the next day thanx to my cousins who are mechanics. .my timing was off 180 degrees, so i had to redo the distrubutor wiresto 1,3-4,2. so, i had to put them in reverse order. thanks alot people.

cool take pics of the car and post them up...i want to see it.