PDA

View Full Version : Hub Nut

Fuzy Navel
09-30-2006, 02:38 PM
Hey, Ok i went out today to replace my cv joint went to remove the hub nut and the stupid thing wont come off.. So here is the question are these hub nuts crossthreaded by any chance? like where when you tightin it it is acually loosening it the threads are reversed? or is there a special way to get it off

ChaseR
09-30-2006, 03:11 PM
Hit that bitch with a 5lb Sledge a few times then use an impact wrench or a cheater bar to get that thing off.. They are a bitch sometimes...

TdotWarrior
09-30-2006, 05:39 PM
They are a bitch sometimes...

:werd: :banghead:

ghettogeddy
09-30-2006, 05:44 PM
on th e nut its self there is a little notch u have to hammer the notch out and it should come off, it is best that u use air tools to take it off

lostforawhile
09-30-2006, 06:07 PM
the nut is staked in place at that little notch in the axle. hammer out the staking. then have someone step on the brake,I mean really step on the brake and use a piece of pipe on a breaker bar. when I first took these off I had to jump up and down on the pipe to make it break loose. talking about a four foot pipe. if you can't find axle nuts,reverse the sides they were on. this gives you an area you can stake it down at. what I did was find a broken half inch drive rachet at a pawn shop,I welded it solid and it makes one heck of a breaker bar.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
09-30-2006, 06:14 PM
My passenger side had to be taken off with a 600 lb-ft air impact wrench. If you can't get it off, drop by an auto shop and have one of the mechanics spin it loose for you. Didn't cost me a thing (got it done at work), but slipping the grease monkey a few bucks should do the trick. HTH

88Accord-DX
09-30-2006, 06:20 PM
The axle nut takes a 1 1/4" socket or equivelant. Knock the indention out. Impact driver is a life saver. Breaker bar with cheater bar over it works good with the car in grear & wheels chocked. (if there is no help around)

Fuzy Navel
09-30-2006, 10:39 PM
Alright thanks for all the help guys I just i have had to replace 4 cv joints in all the cars i have owned and i tried to do them myself but never could get the damn hub not off so i guess it just takes more power than what im doing right now... i will run it by a shop and see if they can loosen it for me or something thanks guys

2ndGenGuy
10-01-2006, 11:44 AM
I recently used a breaker bar with a 6 foot long steel pipe stuck over it. With that much leverage, and my friends 200lbs sitting on the end of the bar, it eventually broke free. :)

MessyHonda
10-01-2006, 12:04 PM
the longer the bar the more torque and less force you need to put on it.....simple high school physics....