PDA

View Full Version : fibreglassing body parts

newaccorddriver
09-30-2006, 05:50 PM
im guessing right now that nobody makes any after market hoods for our cars unless its custom, and ill find it nearly impossible to find one anyways and for a decent price, so ive been looking into fibreglassing stuff like hoods. id just like to know your thoughts on it.

would a fibre glass hood have comparable strength to the OEM hoods? im planning on making it pretty thick and possibly add a hood scoop for engine cooling, so id like to know if its feasable.

ghettogeddy
09-30-2006, 05:54 PM
they do make cf hoods for are cars

lostforawhile
09-30-2006, 05:58 PM
im guessing right now that nobody makes any after market hoods for our cars unless its custom, and ill find it nearly impossible to find one anyways and for a decent price, so ive been looking into fibreglassing stuff like hoods. id just like to know your thoughts on it.
would a fibre glass hood have comparable strength to the OEM hoods? im planning on making it pretty thick and possibly add a hood scoop for engine cooling, so id like to know if its feasable.
if you really want to make a fiber glass hood,why don't you get a used hood, and unspot weld the seams,the inner structure on these hoods is actually glued to the sheet metal. actually mastic. use the bare framework to build your hood on

newaccorddriver
09-30-2006, 06:24 PM
they do make cf hoods for are cars

which company does it? the only company i know of was gemini, and they went out of business or something.

newaccorddriver
09-30-2006, 06:25 PM
if you really want to make a fiber glass hood,why don't you get a used hood, and unspot weld the seams,the inner structure on these hoods is actually glued to the sheet metal. actually mastic. use the bare framework to build your hood on

i never knew that, ill look into it. are they spot welded/glued on?

lostforawhile
09-30-2006, 07:49 PM
i never knew that, ill look into it. are they spot welded/glued on?the extra hood I had the seams were spot welded,crimped,but the inner web structure was held on my mastic. this is to make the hood fold up in a collision.

MessyHonda
09-30-2006, 08:29 PM
which company does it? the only company i know of was gemini, and they went out of business or something.

i just googled honda accord 88-89 carbon fiber hood and i got some hits...i think its like 300 bucks for the hood plus shipping

ghettogeddy
09-30-2006, 09:02 PM
the extra hood I had the seams were spot welded,crimped,but the inner web structure was held on my mastic. this is to make the hood fold up in a collision.
i know it would be the best but cant u just make a mold of the top skin then use something for a substructure like aluminum

newaccorddriver
10-01-2006, 06:14 AM
no canadian place seems to sell cf hoods...

Gemini2003
10-01-2006, 07:32 AM
I was looking into the ability to start doing fiber glassing as well.... due to my project... I really like the idea of pulling the hood apart and using it as a mold... actually it might be a good idea for the left and right front fender as well... I mean they do look very simple to mold like that...

Possibly lay a tinfoil or aluminum foil first and then maybe plastic wrap? Anyway just my thoughts...

lostforawhile
10-01-2006, 07:57 AM
I was looking into the ability to start doing fiber glassing as well.... due to my project... I really like the idea of pulling the hood apart and using it as a mold... actually it might be a good idea for the left and right front fender as well... I mean they do look very simple to mold like that...

Possibly lay a tinfoil or aluminum foil first and then maybe plastic wrap? Anyway just my thoughts...
use ducttape to cover the part first,the fiberglass will peel off of duct tape. It's really not needed on the fenders,they are very light,the glass ones would probably be heavier. glass fenders work best on american cars with large heavy steel fenders like muscle cars. if you click on my signature follow the car domain link,then look under the index you'll see a page about doing the video screen in the hatch this is exactly what you are talking about doing with the fiberglass. there are a bunch of pictures.

Gemini2003
10-01-2006, 08:16 AM
Thank you!

newaccorddriver
10-01-2006, 11:15 AM
use ducttape to cover the part first,the fiberglass will peel off of duct tape. It's really not needed on the fenders,they are very light,the glass ones would probably be heavier. glass fenders work best on american cars with large heavy steel fenders like muscle cars. if you click on my signature follow the car domain link,then look under the index you'll see a page about doing the video screen in the hatch this is exactly what you are talking about doing with the fiberglass. there are a bunch of pictures.

i cant seem to find the link of the fiberglassing...

the main reason why id like to fiberglass a hood is mainly so i can get a hood scoop which would cool my turbocharged engine. it doesnt look good for my car right now, but ill either be getting another 3G, or a 2G prelude and id like to do it to either one of them. possible fiberglass the trunk as well just to say i did

lostforawhile
10-01-2006, 11:36 AM
i cant seem to find the link of the fiberglassing...
the main reason why id like to fiberglass a hood is mainly so i can get a hood scoop which would cool my turbocharged engine. it doesnt look good for my car right now, but ill either be getting another 3G, or a 2G prelude and id like to do it to either one of them. possible fiberglass the trunk as well just to say i did
here are a few pictures while making the fibrglass pieces for the inside of the hatch,this is the same principle you would use for the hood etc.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid206/p5589a6d9cc060a15fa97e409c94c3c35/eecb0710.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid206/p12003aaed56629fa79721015a60ef227/eecb0683.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid206/paae651aae56b3e8dad455b518dccd5ec/eecb05ec.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid206/p6573e1c2adacff134276919b4e867b90/eecb0559.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid206/pb715c0e3aa80e34b0f8e7a5954cfd68e/eecb04d0.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid206/p9d461a34ce746c8c58f01610534eacc3/eecb0451.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid206/p69e82c2befe82d89398d466651b01855/eecb03c9.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid207/pf81e8e12c5a86ca54f3181daa8c39bc1/eec7da80.jpg
I will be glad to help you if I can,why don't you modify a hoof with a hood scoop like i did? just pm me or email me and I'll try my best to help you

newaccorddriver
10-01-2006, 12:51 PM
why don't you modify a hoof with a hood scoop like i did? just pm me or email me and I'll try my best to help you

how stable are modified hoods? didnt some guy here have one which flew off after a run through the freeway?(i read it somewhere, but i dont remember where, more then likely here though)

lostforawhile
10-01-2006, 01:11 PM
how stable are modified hoods? didnt some guy here have one which flew off after a run through the freeway?(i read it somewhere, but i dont remember where, more then likely here though)
I've never heard of that,I've been driving mine for years and never had any problem,I had a minor shake but I ran a couple of braces under the scoop and took care of that. cheeseburgers hood flew off on the interstate but it wasn't modified. there is a lot of webbing under the hood skin,you just don't want to cut a bunch of it out.my scoop also bolts down which helps. the studs went through the structural members under the hood skin which helped tie it together.

newaccorddriver
10-01-2006, 01:42 PM
how would i go about separating the hood from the skin?

lostforawhile
10-01-2006, 01:55 PM
how would i go about separating the hood from the skin?
the skin is attached at the edges all the way around,it crimpd over the framework and welded at the front. the center part of the framework is only held on by mastic. it looks like welds but they aren't. you could make a fiberglass skin from the hood,then carefully cut through the skin to maby a half of an inch all the way around and use it like that to attach the glass. I would get a scrap hood and try this on that one. then if you screw it up you still have your good one.

newaccorddriver
10-07-2006, 08:30 PM
how long do i have to work with a mixed batch of fiberglass? i dont wanna mix all my resin only to find out i have a limited amount of time before it drys out or i have to wait to do each layer

RamThis
10-07-2006, 09:52 PM
If you really want to make a mold of your hood, it's gonna cost you a pretty penny. Plus, DO NOT cut the hood up to make the mold. You want it in it's braced, natural shape so the mold represents a final part.

To make the mold, you will need to fix any dents in your current hood, or "plug" as a moldmaker calls it. The surface has to be just like you would want it if it were finished and ready to go on your car. You then need to wax the surface with some Partall Release Wax and some PVA (Poly Vinyl Acetate).

You will now need to mix up a large batch of Tooling Gelcoat. You will spread it over the surface of the plug to the recommended thickness. This will be the surface that forms the shapes and takes the abuse of repeated layups. Once the tooling gelcoat cures, it needs to be sanded with 80 grit and blown clean. Now get some fiberglass chop-mat, and wet down three layers on top of the tooling coat, and keep bubbles out using a 1" white chip brush. Allow it to cure fully and cool. Repeat this process until you have a layer of fiberglass about a half inch thick. NOW, get some plyboard and cardboard, make cardboard templates of the curvature of the mold's outer surface, and cut out some bracing/stands to glue to the backside of the mold. make the stand in the shape of a box with an X through it. Mix up some more resin, and using some 4" fiberglass roll cloth, attach this brace/stand to the mold to add rigidity and make a base for the mold to stand on.

Pull the plug and inspect the mold. If ok, clean it, wax it a few times, and make a test part from it using a vacuum bag. If the part comes out good, you have a great production mold.

Done this too many times on them damn UAV aircraft. Wish I had some of the stuff I used to work with, I could make some badass stuff. Body Kits, Hoods, doors, anything. I just need money!!! LOL

Tomisimo
10-08-2006, 08:19 AM
Fiberglasss hood gona be hewyer then original i think.

newaccorddriver
10-09-2006, 06:36 PM
If you really want to make a mold of your hood, it's gonna cost you a pretty penny. Plus, DO NOT cut the hood up to make the mold. You want it in it's braced, natural shape so the mold represents a final part.
To make the mold, you will need to fix any dents in your current hood, or "plug" as a moldmaker calls it. The surface has to be just like you would want it if it were finished and ready to go on your car. You then need to wax the surface with some Partall Release Wax and some PVA (Poly Vinyl Acetate).
You will now need to mix up a large batch of Tooling Gelcoat. You will spread it over the surface of the plug to the recommended thickness. This will be the surface that forms the shapes and takes the abuse of repeated layups. Once the tooling gelcoat cures, it needs to be sanded with 80 grit and blown clean. Now get some fiberglass chop-mat, and wet down three layers on top of the tooling coat, and keep bubbles out using a 1" white chip brush. Allow it to cure fully and cool. Repeat this process until you have a layer of fiberglass about a half inch thick. NOW, get some plyboard and cardboard, make cardboard templates of the curvature of the mold's outer surface, and cut out some bracing/stands to glue to the backside of the mold. make the stand in the shape of a box with an X through it. Mix up some more resin, and using some 4" fiberglass roll cloth, attach this brace/stand to the mold to add rigidity and make a base for the mold to stand on.
Pull the plug and inspect the mold. If ok, clean it, wax it a few times, and make a test part from it using a vacuum bag. If the part comes out good, you have a great production mold.
Done this too many times on them damn UAV aircraft. Wish I had some of the stuff I used to work with, I could make some badass stuff. Body Kits, Hoods, doors, anything. I just need money!!! LOL

i was thinking of fiberglassing the hood until it holds its shape, and then layer like 50 layers on top and under it to give it its strength(and at the same time use those fiberglass mats to give it a bit more strength). and once im done with that hood, ill chop my current hood up and use the braces underneath the skin and attach it to the braces somehow. thats what i had in mind atleast... feel free to enlighten me though as im fairly new to this kind of work