PDA

View Full Version : tryiny to figure out what brakes and spindles I have

lostforawhile
10-01-2006, 04:51 PM
ok I have an 86 accord dx hatch as most of you know,I recently rebuilt 89 lxi spindles for it. and my brakes bolted right up. I know the spindles are from an 89 lxi because I pulled them myself. but everyone says my brakes shouldn't have fit. so eithier my spindles were upgraded at some point in time,or the spindles on the lxi were down graded. I got the numbers off the calipers and thought if I posted them someone could identify them.
first line reads: A054
second line reads 19-13
third line reads 214sr
fourth line reads 63 s
last line below caliper inspection hole reads
T (MISUBA SYMBOL)
I can't order new calipers until I know what I have already, my bushings in the brake calipers are worn and the calipers rattle,I already replaced the pins and that didn't help. by the time I rebushed them and rebuilt them,I might as well get new ones.

lostforawhile
10-01-2006, 07:20 PM
ok can someone who has an 89 lxi hatch pull a wheel and post the numbers on the side of their brake caliper? I have the calipers from the lxi and they are the same as the numbers on my dx original brakes,unless my brakes were changed at some point. I was under the impression that the Japanese manufactured hatchs all had the bigger brakes. I know when I order brake parts at Nappa I have to tell them if it's Japanese or american made,also there is a split after a certain number manufactured. mine is really low 70,801th 3rd generation made. so I have to order certain parts different.

carotman
10-02-2006, 06:25 AM
If you can fit 13 inch wheels then you got the smaller DX brakes. It's as easy as that. The 88-89 LX-i came with 14 inch wheels becaus the 13 inch rim can't clear the caliper.

Another thing to look for is the caliper sliders. The DX caliper has only 1 bolt and the LX-i has 2 (one on each slider)

DX Caliper:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/13se00_j06.gif

LX-i Caliper:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/13se00_j07.gif

You can see that the top part of the DX caliper is different from the bottom part (where the single bolt is)

lostforawhile
10-02-2006, 11:59 AM
what I can't figure out is the ones from the junkyard were from an 89 lxi hatch and they look like a dx. I grabbed the entire spindles and brakes everything off the hatch. I wanted the block too but didn't have anything to pull it with.

shepherd79
10-02-2006, 12:04 PM
you got the front brakes from LXI hatch? well there is your problem. hatches had DX, LX brake setup. in 86-87 3G used only one brake setup. It doesn't matter if you had Dx, LX or LXi. same front hub.
In 88-89, LXI and SEI coupes and sedans got bigger brakes. everything else had DX/LX brakes.

MessyHonda
10-02-2006, 12:13 PM
you got the front brakes from LXI hatch? well there is your problem. hatches had DX, LX brake setup. in 86-87 3G used only one brake setup. It doesn't matter if you had Dx, LX or LXi. same front hub.
In 88-89, LXI and SEI coupes and sedans got bigger brakes. everything else had DX/LX brakes.

damn that has to suck. didnt you just rebuild the front suspension Tim?

lostforawhile
10-02-2006, 12:23 PM
damn that has to suck. didnt you just rebuild the front suspension Tim?
yep, I thought the 89 lxi hatchs had bigger brakes. why won't the lxi brakes fit the other spindles? what is the clearance issue?

gp02a0083
10-02-2006, 12:28 PM
yes the 89 lx-i's did have bigger brakes than the 87's ive been there i tried it and noticed that the spindels are diffrent for the 87's so u cant use the 89 or 88 brakes unless u noch them or u have the knuckels, another way if telling if there the smaller brakes is that the bigger ones or at least the 89's use 2 bolts to attach the caliper where as the 87 uses one bolt and a upper slide pin

the clearance issue is with the steering knuckle i had them side by side and they look exactly the same , however the 88 and 89 lxi/sei's are offset or notched for the bigger brakes this is why i need a passenger side knuckle from a 88 or 89 so i can put the brakes i had from my 89 on my 87 HB

carotman
10-02-2006, 01:16 PM
86AccordLxi made a post about this not too long ago.

Here it is! http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54069

He didn't use the bigger rotor so this is kinda pointless :(