PDA

View Full Version : es2 black with prelude head ?'s

twizted_ninja
10-01-2006, 06:02 PM
i got a 1985 honda accord lx with the es2 carbed motor, i snapped a timing belt and bent valves. i was woundering what all it takes to put the prelude heads on it email me with answers if any thank you. email [email protected]

2ndGenGuy
10-02-2006, 01:29 AM
Thats odd. Snapping a timing belt won't bend valves. I've snapped my belt with no problems. Sat there and spun the motor over with the starter too. In fact, I don't even plan on changing my timing belt until it breaks again. Its a non-interference design. In other words the valves will never interfere with the pistons. You might want to see whats really up.

Oh, and its probably best to keep all information about this public. Thats what forums are all about. You should check back here for answers so that other people can read about it in the future. So I wouldn't expect any emails. :eatarrow:

offthahook
10-02-2006, 10:07 AM
The debate goes on. I worked at a Honda dealer in 1991 and they swore up and down that these engines are interference. I saw probably six 2nd Generation Accords (with heads removed) that snapped belts, bent valves, and cracked piston crowns. I've also heard what 2ndgenguy is saying as well. A lot of the research I've done says these are interference engines, but you can get lucky and not do damage. Is there a difference in the heads for the Accord and Lude? I know the Lude has multiple carbs and stuff, but I thought the block and heads were the same. In other words, I'm not sure what all is involved...

2ndGenGuy
10-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Man, maybe I just got lucky. Or maybe they did something different between 84 and 85? Even though the engines are the same. Maybe something for emissions? Offthahook is probably right though. He's much more knowledgeable about this stuff, and has experienced it first hand.

I thought also that the Preludes weren't CVCC. Oh maybe they were and thats why the "Dual Carb" Preludes had that crazy little tiny carb-lookin thing in the middle of the two...