PDA

View Full Version : So why don't we just import them our selves?

ZackieDarko
10-01-2006, 10:30 PM
I had an idea about an hour ago while on the dock here at work. Instead of trying to get a company to ship over B20's, trannys and other parts we want why don't we just do it our selves? Why can't a few members get together (both here and maybe in NZ) and go find the parts we want, pull them and then ship them over in a container?

People put up some cash to finance the operation and they are guarenteed some stuff. Sounds like an idea to me.

Discuss.

BITESIZE
10-01-2006, 11:22 PM
Ummm, except not alot people here have $$$$$$.

Hash_man_Se_i
10-01-2006, 11:32 PM
The money and time to do that would be way too much. And I dont think you understand how much containers cost. I priced out containers from NZ to Vancouver BC, and let me tell you, its definately not cheap.

I have found an engine importer who has gotten b20's before, and said he could again, its really not that difficult to find them.

2ndGenGuy
10-02-2006, 12:01 AM
How much does it cost to ship something like an engine across the ocean like that? I know I looked into springs (suspension) from King Springs and they were like $400 for shipping. Is an engine like $1000 - $1500 ? If you could get a good B20 for $500 and ship it for $1000, thats only $1500. Doesn't seem that bad to me.

Steve_Si
10-02-2006, 12:05 AM
I'm looking for a few smaller parts for a member on this board. I've just gotta drag myself across the city to Honda dismantlers yard that opened recently. It's just basic lightweight stuff but I'll let you all know how it goes and how much it costs.

ZackieDarko
10-02-2006, 01:30 AM
Steve_Si, I sure would love some 86-87 hatchback Tails/corner lights

shepherd79
10-02-2006, 04:45 AM
the problem is that if you are trying to ship one item over seas, it will cost arm and a leg. If you can find a group of people (about 10 or so), and find 10 B20A motors with 5 speed or auto (if people want that). you can get a container and stick the engines in there and ship it over here. to ship a car from US to Europe is $2000 in a container. so if you have 10 people that could be 200 for shipping per engine. the more people you get the cheaper it will get. Why do you think it takes so long to import front clips and other shit form japan. they pack those containers from top to bottom to reduce the cost of shipping.

MessyHonda
10-02-2006, 08:25 AM
i like the idea....i was talking to Forest and we discused that the Canada members should import b20 3geez and part them up and ship it to the US. im not sure how much it cost to import a car but like Overdosed said you can find the F1 accords for 300 bucks.

im a realist and i dont think 10 people will get together to buy a b20. i guess its would be super nice to have one but if it breaks down you have to get parts imported or you have to mod the prelude parts to make it fit. thats why they made some b18 mounts cuz you can find thoes whole swaps for 1000 bucks in my area and they have more aftermarket support.

Hash_man_Se_i
10-02-2006, 09:46 AM
i like the idea....i was talking to Forest and we discused that the Canada members should import b20 3geez and part them up and ship it to the US. im not sure how much it cost to import a car but like Overdosed said you can find the F1 accords for 300 bucks.

I have looked into this. Shipping 1 car from NZ is around $2000CDN. Shipping from Japan is a bit cheaper, but 3rd gen accords are much harder to come by. Trust me I have looked into this... Bringing accords in to part them out would make no sense as the cost would be far to great. However, importing an accord for myself would be great if I could find a good clean one in japan.

Steve_Si
10-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Steve_Si, I sure would love some 86-87 hatchback Tails/corner lights

I'll see how it goes with the 2nd gen prelude parts first. If they don't get lost or smashed then I'll send more.