PDA

View Full Version : Heater issues

biggene
10-02-2006, 06:37 AM
OK,
I looked for this in the forums, but couldnt find the exact answer I was searching for.

The climate control fan in my 88 Accord will not blow, period. I have replaced both the #5 dash and #22 underhood fuse and the blower resistor. Any other ideas? I know next is probably the blower motor, but is there anyway I can check to see whether it is good or not? I have access to a multi-meter and a couple of electrical process engineers here at work, so having someone who knows their way around 12 volt shouldnt be an issue, I am just not sure what to check, or what readings I should receive during the checks.

Gene

Blkblurr
10-02-2006, 08:10 AM
Check to see if you have 12 volts going to the blower motor when it should be on. If you do then you need to replace the motor. If not, then it's some other problem.

2ndGenGuy
10-02-2006, 08:19 AM
If you pull the motor, just hook 12 volts to it directly and see if it turns on. That will tell you for sure if the motor is bad. Just jump it straight to a battery for a few seconds.

biggene
10-02-2006, 08:35 AM
If you pull the motor, just hook 12 volts to it directly and see if it turns on. That will tell you for sure if the motor is bad. Just jump it straight to a battery for a few seconds.

LOL didnt even think of trying that. I was kind of hoping to test it in the car, but I guess I will pull it out and see if I can figure out whats wrong with it.

Gene

biggene
10-13-2006, 05:03 AM
Ok, is there anything else it could possibly be? I got a good motor, but I still get nothing when I turn the fan switch on.

A18A
10-13-2006, 05:23 AM
the switch itself?

biggene
10-13-2006, 05:26 AM
I didnt think the switches themselves went bad that often, but I guess I can try replacing it too. Does the actual switch come separately or will I need to buy a complete climate control assembly to replace it?

A18A
10-13-2006, 05:58 AM
well i highly doubt its a switch, but i can only think of either that or a broke wire somewere.... are ALL your fuses good though?

biggene
10-13-2006, 06:42 AM
Yes,

I replaced them anyways, and kept the old ones as spares just to make sure they were good. I gotta get this thing fixed, it was 30 degrees here this morning and my cajones almost froze off on the way to work :thumbdn:

88Accord-DX
10-13-2006, 08:36 PM
Sounds like you need to print out a wiring schematic of the whole system & troubleshoot the electical problem with a digital mulitimeter.

Oldblueaccord
10-13-2006, 08:37 PM
well in the mean time get a nice heavy 30 amp toggle switch and wire straight off the battery with a nice 30 amp fuse holder and good heavy wire and your ready to rock and roll while you get it fixed right.

wp