PDA

View Full Version : Major problem

lostforawhile
10-02-2006, 12:19 PM
ok just changed the oil yesterday, oil pressure was fine after changing. castrol syntec blend 10w30 stp filter,which is the one identical to the bosch one. after driving I notice the oil pressure at idle is a bit low, on the way home it's really low at idle,fine at higher rpms. when I open the hood the motor is really hot like it's overheated. much hotter then usual. the gauge doesn't show overheated though. I've been having trouble with my water pump whining,was going to replace it tonight. does anyone think this could be caused by the water not circulating properly and throwing off the temp sender? the sender is all the way up in the intake and could be off. the engine is def hotter then the gauge says. I know when your engine really heats up it can cause lower oil presure. I was thinking the pump might be working at higher rpms only.

gp02a0083
10-02-2006, 12:32 PM
it could possably that its giving a false reading it also could mean ur fluid system isnt fully evauicated of air and u gotta replace that water pump tim and whats is a good idea while ur replacing that is flushing out the coolent system and heater core if it hasent been done in a while, as far as the oil pressure lowering when the engine is hot is because of 2 reasons , one the engines clearences become wider due to thermal expansion and the oil's viscosity thins out b/c of the heat from friction which streches out the polymer chains in the oil and causing the IM forces between the polymer bonds to become weaker

lostforawhile
10-02-2006, 01:02 PM
yea it's def hotter then the gauge says. the radiator and heater core are relativly new,I know the cooling system is spotless because i have replaced every other part of it but the pump. at least I had a chance to paint my pump purple before i had to install it. :) I think this time i'll leave the upper timing cover off so I can watch the belt. for insurance. has anyone else thought of installing the sender somewhere else? like the thermostat housing.? I have the i/8 bsp taps that are the proper thread for the sender. I already installed an extra temp sender just in front of the thermostat.

carotman
10-02-2006, 01:34 PM
I'm sure the pump is doind it's job even if it's whining. Unless the fins are bent or something, the engine makes the pump move and it continues to keep the same RPM it should. Is it leaking or something?

Were you always using this type of oil and filter combo?

lostforawhile
10-02-2006, 02:35 PM
I'm sure the pump is doind it's job even if it's whining. Unless the fins are bent or something, the engine makes the pump move and it continues to keep the same RPM it should. Is it leaking or something?

Were you always using this type of oil and filter combo?well the motor is def hotter then the gauge says,I've had this car for a long time and I know aprox hot hot it should be under the hood for a particular gauge reading. I've always used this type of oil and this filter is the one that the prelude site cut up and found is exactly the same as the bosch,which I've been using. might as well same the same filter. I'm wondering if the impeller is gone on this pump? I've taken them off before on other hondas and the impeller was just gone. while I'm in ther going to pull out the oil pump and measure the clearances in it,it's probably as old as the engine itself. the person who rebuilt this engine rebuilt the block and even put performance parts back in it,then left the old water pump,oil pump,etc. on it. I need to change the pump anyway because that bearing it it sounds bad and it might be ready to go soon.

lostforawhile
10-02-2006, 04:38 PM
well got most of it tore down so far,it doesn't look terrible bad. the alternator bracket is in the way,but there are clearance holes in the timing cover for the bolts. was going to use gasket tack to put the o ring on the pump then slide it in sideways. I really wonder if this oil pump is going too. it probably has 280000 miles on it since it wasn't changed when the engine was rebuilt. I didn't do it!! it has plenty of pressure at high rpms but it's only a little low at idle. the engine is just getting really hot so thats why i'm thinking cooling system. especially sincew the gauge is not correct.

lostforawhile
10-02-2006, 08:05 PM
ok the pump went in with relative ease so tomorrow I'll finish everything up. it's 11:52 pm here. I was going to beadblast the pulleys from the power steering pump and the water pump so I could paint them. also the alternator bracket. one suggestion,if i had had the proper length and thread metric bolt in stock,I would have removed the stud that holds the alternator bracket and replaced it with a bolt. this would have made getting the water pump much eaisier in and out. the pump would have eaisily gone in to place without that stud in the way. the water pump that came out,it looked ok,but the impellers are stamped steel and look cheap. the one I got from nappa has a cast iron impeller of a completly different design. it looks like it would have far less cavitation. the one that came out looks of autozone variety. there was a definite whine coming from the area of the pump,I hope it isn't the oil pump.I know it's not the belt or tensioner,the belt looks fine and the tensioner is almost new. they are both gates products so I doubt they are going bad. oil pump bearing?