PDA

View Full Version : New Axle Possible Break In?

russiankid
10-02-2006, 07:09 PM
My brother and i have installed new axles into the 89 LX. These axles arent really new they are remanufactured by PROLINE. They are the correct length, they work great. Only problem is when you turn the wheels either left or right doesnt matter, all the way till the lock, and you are rolling slighty giving throttle it makes kind of a grinding/tapping noise, it isnt very loud. Now when you are rolling without throttle, and just turn until the lock, it wont do that, give it throttle it will. My question is do you guys think the cv-joints arent broken in yet? Should we give it some time? They do have a lifetime warranty so replacement wont be a problem.

halxi
10-02-2006, 08:05 PM
its putting stress/load on the outer CV's when you do that, it probably did it before, you just didnt notice.

My civic has brand new hasport axles and they do the "cv click" when i turn as sharp as i can, at any speed/condition, its just stressin the CV's. My 3g makes kind of a slight grind when i crank the wheel as well.

2ndGenGuy
10-03-2006, 12:06 AM
I don't think it should do that... At least that REALLY doesn't sound right. If you're stressing the CV joints, then thats putting a lot of pressure on your wheel bearings and transmission bearings. You can destory those pretty easily... It sounds like the shafts might be too long or something. My friend destoryed his wheel bearing and steering knuckle because he bought a halfshaft that was the wrong length. It was SUPPOSED to be the right length, but it was a poorly built axle. How did the lengths compare to the ones you pulled?

russiankid
10-03-2006, 03:46 AM
Well these are the correct size, so size isnt a problem. We'll just give it a few weeks,the sound is not like the cv's are going out. But lifetime warranty so no problem. But really how much time do you spend turning as sharp as you can? It only does this when turning sharp.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
10-03-2006, 05:26 AM
The outter CV joints felt pretty tight out of the box, so perhaps its just the manufacturer tolerances causing a little binding. After driving it for a bit, I haven't heard any noises, even when maneuvering around a parking garage (not at full lock, but pretty close). And as russiankid said, the axles are the right lengths. I measured and compared them to the ones that were on the car before and they matched up.

P.S.: New lower control arm bushings sure make a difference in road noise and vibration. Old bushings also squeaked on large bumps because the inners were worn out.

2ndGenGuy
10-03-2006, 08:10 AM
Yeah, I will admit, my outer joints were pretty stiff. I guess we'll see what happens. If the lengths are ok, then it's not going to damage anything on your car. Warranties rock!

AccordEpicenter
10-03-2006, 08:14 AM
i have an aftermarket drivers side reman axle. It doesnt make any noise at all, i bet you have a bad reman...

ghettogeddy
10-03-2006, 08:24 AM
I don't think it should do that... At least that REALLY doesn't sound right. If you're stressing the CV joints, then thats putting a lot of pressure on your wheel bearings and transmission bearings. You can destory those pretty easily... It sounds like the shafts might be too long or something. My friend destoryed his wheel bearing and steering knuckle because he bought a halfshaft that was the wrong length. It was SUPPOSED to be the right length, but it was a poorly built axle. How did the lengths compare to the ones you pulled?
also by turning the wheel all the way to eather side puts stress on the ps pump and will make them go out faster

russiankid
10-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Well today i washed it, and while going up the driveway backwards i did the full wheel lock. There was no clicking of any sort while going up the driveway. My guess is that they needed a few miles to break in. There is 42 miles on them now, guessing they're ok.

Blkblurr
10-04-2006, 04:22 AM
The sound is not typical for new axles. When mine did that after I replaced them I found I had a bad one and had to replace it again.

MessyHonda
10-04-2006, 07:45 AM
dont take it on a long trip since it could brake down....when i got my new axels they didnt make noise. i felt like it cornered better...maybe it was all in my head...lol....if you have lifetime warranty i would not worry till it broke or if you want to go ahead and replace it do it.

AccordEpicenter
10-04-2006, 08:15 AM
yeah, bad reman axles happen all the time. My friend had one break into pieces on his civic... I actually still use used stock honda cv's and just change the joint itself because i hate dealing with those shitty ass remans