PDA

View Full Version : Dadgummit im tired of suspension problems.

Mars
10-03-2006, 08:00 AM
Ok, so since ive had this car (6 months), ive had one lower balljoint break while driving, replaced both sides. and yesterday i replaced both upper balljoints/controll arms/bushings.

Now, when i drive my car, i still feel the hard clunk like from when my upper balljoint was out, but i feel it on the opposite side fo the car. I think i can atribute this to the lower control arm bushings where the shock mounts having the resistance of a cotton ball. Also, when i drive, the wheels dont track right. Its like the car wants to wander some, especially if i hit the clutch and let it wander, or if im going over a bump/s. I beleive my shocks are good, when i stop hard the car is smoth and solid, and not bouncy. It also pulls to one side on accelleration and when braking the car wanders pretty bad.
I checked the tie rods when we changed the ball joints, and they seemed to be tight when i jerked on them.

Any ideas?
Im about at my last straw with the front end of this car, which is a pitty beacuase the engine is top notch.

Heh, on a related topic, anyone have a lower mielage 3g with no motor/blow motor anywhere near texas?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
10-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Have you looked at the radius rod bushings in the front crossmember? If those are worn, they will cause noise and allow the wheel to move forward and back, causing steering issues like you describe.

Mars
10-03-2006, 10:25 AM
are those the clylindrical rods that go diagonally towards the inside front of the car?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
10-03-2006, 11:44 AM
are those the clylindrical rods that go diagonally towards the inside front of the car?

Yes. There are bushings at the front connections of these rods.

lostforawhile
10-03-2006, 12:36 PM
if you did the upper ball joints and the lower ball joints,did you replace the bushings in the upper control arms? the one where the bolt goes through? I've done upper and lower ball joints,rebuilt the lower control arms,new wheel bearings,new radius rod bushings,new steering rack,new tie rod ends,urthane end link bushings for the sway bar,and I still have a clunk,I shook one of the struts and I think it's coming from there. the bearings at the top of the strut assembly are probably worn out. I think these have bearings in the assembly anyway. also do you have a clunk while braking? the pin on the brake caliper assembly can wear,also the bushing where it goes into on the caliper can wear. this can cause a clunk from the caliper.

Mars
10-03-2006, 02:09 PM
Yeah its a clunk when braking, and now when i turn real hard (like a doughnut type turn) it clunks.

I replaced the bushings when i replaced the upper contorl arms too.

Is there a test i can do to check any of the stuff besides the wheel shake test?

I jerked on the radius rod, it didnt move but i have no idea if this means anything.

lostforawhile
10-03-2006, 02:14 PM
if it's original it's worn out. you can try to shake the brake calipers and see if theres a bunch of play. same with other suspension parts. the bushings in the radius rods are sure to be worn out. the pins on the caliper brackets unscrew,nappa carries them it's harder to replace the bushing in the caliper. if it's worn bad you might as well get rebuilt calipers,by the time you mess with the bushings and a caliper rebuild kit while they are off. figure if your brakes are original figure that old dryrotted rubber seal is what is keeping that hydraulic pressure in there.

Mars
10-03-2006, 02:50 PM
good point.
Man those radius rod bushings look up in there.

Ill have to drive the car to dallas to be able to work on it anymore, are any of these parts dangerous if they fail?

Mars
10-06-2006, 07:53 PM
OK, so i bought new radius rod bushings, as well as some strut mount bushings. Gonna install them tomarrow.

Wish me luck! And any tips/warnings i should know about before i start?

88Accord-DX
10-06-2006, 08:02 PM
On the radius rod, the threads on the back. Either count the number of threads or mark it with something. (behind the nut)