PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel audio controls.

russiankid
10-03-2006, 05:06 PM
How would i go and make this work with a Kenwood HU? I know you have to run wires but could anyone tell me what i should do?BTW this steering wheel is off an SE-i

ghettogeddy
10-03-2006, 05:16 PM
id say pull both of the remots apart and see what they have in comin wires and such or see what the end that plugs into the stereo have in comin basicly get a extra set of remots and rip them apart

2ndGenGuy
10-03-2006, 05:19 PM
Gut the remote for your headunit.

Get the wires from each button and solder them to the contacts for the buttons on the remote.

Desolder the LED and mount it somewhere that it's visible to your deck.

ghettogeddy
10-03-2006, 05:28 PM
i belive both the remotes are wired from what it sounds like

russiankid
10-03-2006, 06:20 PM
Seems dificult now :(

MessyHonda
10-03-2006, 06:22 PM
Seems dificult now :(

i let me remote do the talking...lol plus you can change more stuff

Crazybird
10-03-2006, 06:30 PM
just get a headunit that has a remote and tape it to ur steering wheel
done man that was fast lol

MessyHonda
10-03-2006, 06:32 PM

:rice:

russiankid
10-03-2006, 06:59 PM
It already has a remote...just audio controls are cooler then having a remove stuck to your steering wheel.lol

Edit:
This is the HU that i have now, got it for free a while back, the faceplate wasnt working but nothing my brother couldnt fix :)
http://home.flash.net/~caraudio/KDC9015.jpg
Kenwood KDC-9015

'89AccordLX(Rus)
10-03-2006, 07:08 PM
It would be a shame to destroy a perfectly good hand-held remote in an effort to gain steering wheel controls (as mentioned earlier, the remote has access to way more functions than the steering wheel buttons could control). Considering the fact that this deck has a completely digital interface between the faceplate and the control circuitry inside (taken it apart, looked at schematics, etc. etc.), it is virtually impossible to tap into any of the face plate controls. There are no hardwired remote control provisions in the main HU harness either. Basically, if one was to control this deck remotely, it has to be IR. This would either mean rigging the hand-held remote, or building your own programmable IC unit that would reproduce the signals of the regular remote depending on the resistance values obtained from the steering wheel controls. Sounds complicated? It is.

Crazybird
10-03-2006, 07:12 PM
pimp

2ndGenGuy
10-03-2006, 07:13 PM
Bah just tear apart the remote. They're only like $20. :lol:

Crazybird
10-03-2006, 07:16 PM
damnt just tape it to the steering wheel it would look sweet im tellin ya use sum duct tape and ur good

'89AccordLX(Rus)
10-03-2006, 07:19 PM
Bah just tear apart the remote. They're only like $20. :lol:

So say we tear down the remote. It works by shorting miniature contacts on two individual plastic layers with built in circuits. Tapping into this would be rather difficult considering the fact that the steering wheel controls work based on a resistor array which changes the resistance between the input and output wires going to the steering wheel. Regardless of the method chosen, an interface unit would have to be built to control anything at all with the steering wheel buttons. Some headunits are made such that their controls are based on resistance variation. These units can be controlled assuming you can find the correct points to tap into (it has been done before with a Sony if memory serves me right). It is most convenient to get a headunit that is capable of being remote controlled rather than try to rig something with the Kenwood unit that is in the car right now.

MessyHonda
10-03-2006, 07:20 PM
damnt just tape it to the steering wheel it would look sweet im tellin ya use sum duct tape and ur good

dude i just said that would be F-ing rice. plus his car is more mint than candyland

Crazybird
10-03-2006, 07:25 PM
lol :( no rice then *sniff*

2ndGenGuy
10-03-2006, 08:14 PM
So say we tear down the remote. It works by shorting miniature contacts on two individual plastic layers with built in circuits. Tapping into this would be rather difficult considering the fact that the steering wheel controls work based on a resistor array which changes the resistance between the input and output wires going to the steering wheel. Regardless of the method chosen, an interface unit would have to be built to control anything at all with the steering wheel buttons. Some headunits are made such that their controls are based on resistance variation. These units can be controlled assuming you can find the correct points to tap into (it has been done before with a Sony if memory serves me right). It is most convenient to get a headunit that is capable of being remote controlled rather than try to rig something with the Kenwood unit that is in the car right now.

Yeah well I guess I just assumed that the buttons on the steering worked the same way the horn buttons did. Didn't realize it was only two wires and actual ciruitry.

Yeah thats going to take some work. Just fuckin duct tape it to the wheel. :rofl:

Hash_man_Se_i
10-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Lol, don't tape the remote to the steering wheel, and dont cut up the remote. Buy this adapter, it can be made to work with our cars. Made by PAC, called the SWI-X

http://www.mobilcaraudio.com/i/PAC/PACSWIX.JPG

2ndGenGuy
10-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Woah that thing is sweet. I want that and an SEi wheel now!

3ghondaerodeck
10-04-2006, 12:31 AM
Do you hae a pic of that steering wheel, it sounds sweet!

3ghondaerodeck
10-04-2006, 03:46 AM
aha, I saw the picture in the other thread..
sorry

'89AccordLX(Rus)
10-04-2006, 04:23 AM
Lol, don't tape the remote to the steering wheel, and dont cut up the remote. Buy this adapter, it can be made to work with our cars. Made by PAC, called the SWI-X
http://www.mobilcaraudio.com/i/PAC/PACSWIX.JPG

Wow, that seems to be exactly what is needed for an interface. Now just gotta figure out how it should be wired. Approximate cost: $60-70 for the unit. Not bad. Thanks for the heads up!

mkymonkey
10-04-2006, 07:08 AM
you guys have got to be joking...you have never heard of PAC? lol...they make them in universal form AND also made especifically for each model of car AND aftermarket HU...they also already come pre programmed...lol

you guys are funny....but anyway welcome to 1999 lol

'89AccordLX(Rus)
10-04-2006, 12:11 PM
you guys have got to be joking...you have never heard of PAC? lol...they make them in universal form AND also made especifically for each model of car AND aftermarket HU...they also already come pre programmed...lol

you guys are funny....but anyway welcome to 1999 lol

Well some of us are not quite audio-savvy. I for one am also not known for seeking an easy way out. A while back I had half a mind to build my own interface controller (didn't know that something like this was available).

2ndGenGuy
10-04-2006, 12:24 PM
^^^ I'm with him on this one. I had plans to dump my cruise and use those buttons for volume and build a controller as well. Now that I know about the wheel and that interface, w00t!

Hash_man_Se_i
10-04-2006, 03:46 PM
Wow, that seems to be exactly what is needed for an interface. Now just gotta figure out how it should be wired. Approximate cost: $60-70 for the unit. Not bad. Thanks for the heads up!

No worries... and ahahah monkey... you'd be amazed at how many people dont know stuff like that exists. When I worked at audio concepts, we had so many older guys with tons of money and pimpin cars ie: benz, bmw, porsche, etc that didnt want to touch the HU because of the factory integrated stuff, yet now you can pretty much keep everything working like stock with all the modules and whatnot.