PDA

View Full Version : the bill for rebuilding/turbocharging my accord, and its still not done lol

newaccorddriver
10-03-2006, 09:00 PM
well, ive been looking over the turbo related stuff i have sitting in my room and the price is staggering.

manifold-$400USD
fuel pump-$100USD(i overpaid)
greddy type S BOV-$150USD(i overpaid again)
stealthmode oil lines-$50USD
DSM intercooler that still needs fabrication-$45USD
skylark turbo from elijahs wife-$100CAD
Tial wastegate-$200USD
civic half size rad-$200USD
misc nuts and bolts and fittings-$100USD
B18 intake manifold-$65USD
DSM 450cc injectors-free(thanks elijah)
SRT4 exhaust system that needs to be refabricated-$50CAD
gauges-$150 for all 5

EDIT:megasquirt-$200

im pretty sure theres some more stuff i havent gotten to yet, but its still quite a bit. atleast ive gotten every part i need basically. and if worst comes, i can use all the parts to turbocharge anything else provided that i get the correct turbo manifold for it.

the cost for rebuilding my engine so far....

boring-$100
resurfacing the block-$85
cleaning the block-$67
magnafluxing-$58
new pistons cause the ones i got from accordeppicenter didnt work and my old ones didnt work-$200
main/rod/thrust bearing set(clevites)-$140
gasket set-$175
timing belt/tensioner-$75
misc tools and other-$700+(had to buy hoist and all that stuff)

EDIT; forgot to add the OEM water/oil pump sitting next to me, that cost me another $170

as you can see, my engine rebuild is costing me an arm and a leg. funny thing is, i still havent done anything about the head yet, and i still need to weld on the sprocket to my crank pulley and get everything rebalanced, there goes another $450 or so...

so... ive basically bent over backwards to get this car running, and it still hasnt left the garage in over a year basically. its rusting like crazy, but damn it, this car better make me smile when its on the road:)

MessyHonda
10-03-2006, 09:07 PM
wow....like i have said b4 if i ever go turbo i will do it on stock internals...i heard that 8psi would not be bad.....how much boost are you planing on running? also i cant wait to see your car done hope you take pictures and videos like crazy so i can drull over them...lol

newaccorddriver
10-03-2006, 09:14 PM
i plan to run upwards of 15PSI. im hoping to achieve 250WHP with an SAFC and hopefully 275-300WHP with megasquirt(hence the sprocket on the crank pulley).

currently im running pretty much stock internals. i have no desire to pour $600USD into custom pistons and all that junk, but i will be trying to get a cometic headgasket or atleast an OEM one to replace the shitty ITM one. ill be taking plenty of pictures and videos of everything as soon as i get the block back, but if all goes well, ill have it assembled and broken in just after the snow melts, and then the turbo gets a new home:)

i forgot to add in the clutch portion, add another $300USD or so for an ACT 6 puck clutch and probably 1k or so for broken axles and trannys. also need to find a 65mm or 70mm mustang GT throttle body

i think its gonna be a fun project, once its all done and said, theres nothing draining me of my money anymore(hopefully), and ill be able to save up once again

AccordEpicenter
10-03-2006, 09:48 PM
Stock headgasket on headstuds should hold fine for 300whp. For another $300 you could get the diamond forged race pistons and rings (mine were about $500), thats a big big big upgrade in this instance since the cast pistons will by far be the weakest link in the engine. Id get a new genuine honda oil pump and water pump too. Id have the stock rods at least fitted with new rod bolts and resized. The clutchnet double diaphram 6 puck sprung clutch like i have will hold pretty much anything you can throw at it, considerably more than an act clutch. Im not sure if the SMIC from the eclipse and the skylark turbo will get you to 300whp (i doubt it) but you can always get boosted and upgrade later (everybody does it). Im really curious to see how the megasquirt is gonna turn out in the end. Depending on how hard it is, you might have a bunch of people jumping on the bandwagon.

bobafett
10-04-2006, 06:54 AM
haha welcome to the club of spending too much money on the engine build! :)

your setup should be pretty nice though! i too am interested in the MS install.

mkymonkey
10-04-2006, 07:04 AM
damn!!! im scared now....and i still havnet started :(

AccordEpicenter
10-04-2006, 08:20 AM

LOL word!! Just dont skimp on engine internals, they will be key in going fast in this engine

snoopyloopy
10-04-2006, 01:58 PM
is that a b18a1 im or a b18c5? and i'm paying attention, i plan on doing something similar to my car. but i think i'm formulating a plan to keep it auto, so we'll see how that works out. i was standing there looking at the engine bay today with ideas. btw, how do those 450s fit our fuel rail? or are you getting a new one?

2oodoor
10-04-2006, 02:22 PM
I see you guys and your passion (ewe) ambition (better) to build the a20 to kick ass turbo, and it is really inspiring. Beleive me if I had that kind of money to put into a sleeper car I would, and the commeradery that goes with it is irreplacable. i hope to see everyone get there builds done.
One another note, lets look at the history of turbo cars. There has to be a dozen combinations that could be made to work the same just like there are a dozen ways to do the same thing on a pc. (or mac) what ever happened to the ford thunderbird 2.3 turbo 4 banger, what was the output on those things, how about buick 3.8 turbo, (not the grand national) turbo diesel vw's,, turbo isuzu four bangers, all of these engines were not so bulltetproof, you can get a decent 40 hp outta low boost, and have a sleeper 3g, and the resources have to be out there for your turbo builds that could be done on a smaller budget. Hell, it has cost me over 1500g just to put on maybe 40hp on my stock 2.0 carb engine. and I am doing most of the work myself when I can (phyically) it is insanity, and were all gonna be in streight jackets dreulling at the mouth in a few years.... lmao.... just randomness guys. great thread lmao lmao lmao , I am gonna go turbocharge something now, wheres that lawnmower.....here kitty kitty ,.....

DDRaptor
10-04-2006, 02:43 PM
Damn I wanna do it too. but my problem is i want to get an engine rebuild that one and then swap it in. heres't he issue.
my engine has only 75,000mi. so any other engine is going to have much more than that. gah i guess it's a good problem to have. :)

newaccorddriver
10-04-2006, 03:19 PM
is that a b18a1 im or a b18c5?btw, how do those 450s fit our fuel rail? or are you getting a new one?

its an A20 man... the 450cc injectors fit like ass and the injector seal needs to be bored out a slight bit

newaccorddriver
10-04-2006, 03:20 PM
LOL word!! Just dont skimp on engine internals, they will be key in going fast in this engine

im trying to get ahold of a cometic gasket, but the $80 shipping charge is scaring me compared to a $65 gasket...

newaccorddriver
10-04-2006, 03:21 PM

your setup should be pretty nice though! i too am interested in the MS install.

ill post up pictures of what i have planned for the crank trigger in a few minutes

newaccorddriver
10-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Stock headgasket on headstuds should hold fine for 300whp. For another $300 you could get the diamond forged race pistons and rings (mine were about $500), thats a big big big upgrade in this instance since the cast pistons will by far be the weakest link in the engine. Id get a new genuine honda oil pump and water pump too. Id have the stock rods at least fitted with new rod bolts and resized. The clutchnet double diaphram 6 puck sprung clutch like i have will hold pretty much anything you can throw at it, considerably more than an act clutch. Im not sure if the SMIC from the eclipse and the skylark turbo will get you to 300whp (i doubt it) but you can always get boosted and upgrade later (everybody does it). Im really curious to see how the megasquirt is gonna turn out in the end. Depending on how hard it is, you might have a bunch of people jumping on the bandwagon.

the way i seen it is im not fully commited to this project as ive seen the underbody of my car. its fairly good, but a couple horrible spots still. i just cant afford to spend $600USD on a set of pistons as opposed to $200CAD for a set of pistons...

ive already bought a new OEM water/oil pump that i just forgot to add to the list of stuff.

what do you mean by get the stock rods refitted with new bolts and resized?

im not sure how much power id be throwing at a clutch, but my buddy at an automotive store can get me an ACT clutch basically at cost. im also not sure how much power my daily tune will put out, so im not sure if a clutchnet clutch is the way to go yet.

the eclipse intercooler im gonna have modded with plates on every side of it and filled with water(or coolant, whichever absorbs more heat *hint at all the knowledgeable guys*). that liquid inside is gonna be pumped through an AC condensor as well. im doing this mainly cause i dont wanna fabricate all the intercooler piping and running it throughout the front end rather then having like 3 feet of piping and no headache of cutting stuff. i also need to order 2 slim fans, so throw another 100 or so onto the total...

the turbo is actually out of elijahs wifes skyline. i believe its able to easily push 15PSI of boost, and its made for big boost cause its got 2.5' pipe coming out of the turbo itself. im trying to source out a cheap/plentiful turbo like the T3 60 trim out of a ford t-bird or a 300zx, but im having no luck yet and their all gutted when i get to them anyways.

i have absolutely no clue on how megasquirt will turn out. ive got the unit, but im waiting on everything so i can upgrade it into megasquirt2 and use the crank trigger rather then running megasquirtnspark. ill post up the pictures of the potential crank trigger i have in a few minutes...

my question to ANYBODY that knows the answer is, whats the distance a typical VR sensor can read down to?

newaccorddriver
10-04-2006, 03:38 PM
my crank pulley now, thanks hostal java:)

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g303/newaccorddriver/IM000568.jpg

ford EDIS 36-1 wheel in the middle, crank pulley on the right, and some random thing on the left:huh:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g303/newaccorddriver/IM000576.jpg

as you can see, the 36-1 wheel is TOO SMALL to be welded onto anything on the crank pulley itself, so there goes the $25 i wasted buying it off somebody on ebay...

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g303/newaccorddriver/IM000577.jpg

heres the potential crank trigger that i have right now. i gotta call this machinest that my machine shop gave me the number to. im hoping he can cut out a groove on the trigger wheel itself so it can easily slide and center itself onto the crank pulley for future welding(this shits gonna bankrupt me!!!). as you can see, there is NO MISSING TOOTH, so its just a wheel with 36 evenly spaced teeths. i need somebody with eletronics or extensive automotive knowledge to tell me if a VR sensor can detect wether something is off by 1MM or so, cause the manual says to position the sensor around 1MM away from the trigger wheel for accurate pick up.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g303/newaccorddriver/IM000578.jpg

enjoy guys, tell me what you think:rant:

88Accord-DX
10-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Here is something to look at that might answer you question.

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/EDIS.htm

newaccorddriver
10-04-2006, 05:23 PM
Here is something to look at that might answer you question.
http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/EDIS.htm

i skimmed over it a few times. it doesnt seem too overly hard to make it work with our cars, but the small trigger wheel and big crank pulley makes it more difficult... unless we get a trigger wheel custom made.

mykwikcoupe
10-04-2006, 05:42 PM
we should have a thread on who spends the most money oon there accords. i wonder where i stand. Id bet top 3

newaccorddriver
10-04-2006, 05:55 PM
we should have a thread on who spends the most money oon there accords. i wonder where i stand. Id bet top 3

i wonder where i would stand on who spent the most money on their accords and still not having it running... i bet id still be top 5 or so... elijah would probably be up top with about 40k dropped into the accord

accord upset
10-04-2006, 06:14 PM
dono whos got the most in but im getting up there right now
500 buy car
2000+ or - a bit in engine parts + machining will check the numbers later
125 flywheel lighting
300 heavy duty pressure plate
130 kevlar friction disk sprung hub
300 4 17inch enkies wheels
300 4 215-40 17 kuhmo esta supra 712
600 for painting my car silver (macco bad idea but good warrenty)
100 for materials to shave moldings
175 for grafix with install
150 for new cat and install
50 for prelude upper control arms
100 for some adjustable coilovers (used)
130 for pioneer head unit
100 bucks for 2 300 watt amps (used)
75 bucks for 2 pioneer 10inch subs 700rms each (used old skool)
50 for slotted and drilled brake rotors (used)
100 for wheel bearing passenger front
240 for ball joints on the front of the car and 2 tie rod ends
75 for alighment
20 for new h3 head lights (ebay)
20 for clear front corners (pcp)

total 5640+ prolly a lil bit more for misc like wire and switches and such,, woa elijah has 40k in his ouch man now i feel a lil better about my spending lol

AccordEpicenter
10-04-2006, 06:26 PM
i think im at around 9k or so now?

accord upset
10-04-2006, 06:32 PM
how can u guys get away with that kinda money drop?? my wife yells about every lil thing?? lol no wonder i cant keep up!

AccordEpicenter
10-04-2006, 06:39 PM
ehh money aint a thing. Plus this is over maybe what, 3 or so years?

newaccorddriver
10-04-2006, 06:46 PM
ehh money aint a thing. Plus this is over maybe what, 3 or so years?

mines been done over the past 5 months... my wallet gets repeatedly stabbed and my credit card companys waiting for the day i have to pay interest(no interest paid since i got it)

newaccorddriver
10-04-2006, 06:47 PM
d
600 for painting my car silver (macco bad idea but good warrenty)

i know macco sucks at painting stuff, but how was this a bad idea? ive been debating on wether or not i wanna take my car there for a color change for a while

accord upset
10-04-2006, 06:53 PM
i know macco sucks at painting stuff, but how was this a bad idea? ive been debating on wether or not i wanna take my car there for a color change for a while

they painted my car and bout 1 month or so later it started peeling in places they offerd to keep my car for 2 days and repaint it but i didnt have 2 days and the places it was peeling were going to be replaced so i never did. but the warrenty coverd all the paint for 5 years.

newaccorddriver
10-04-2006, 08:12 PM
they painted my car and bout 1 month or so later it started peeling in places they offerd to keep my car for 2 days and repaint it but i didnt have 2 days and the places it was peeling were going to be replaced so i never did. but the warrenty coverd all the paint for 5 years.

so they just painted over the old paint i take it?

i smell tremclad/macco in my near future

accord upset
10-05-2006, 05:34 AM
u can tell that they sanded but doesnt look like they primed very good the places that are peeling u can see the original paint just lighter from sanding i can get u some pics to show u what im talking bout if u want.

snoopyloopy
10-05-2006, 06:54 AM
its an A20 man... the 450cc injectors fit like ass and the injector seal needs to be bored out a slight bit
no, i meant the im. i know the engine is an a20. but where's the im from?

2oodoor
10-05-2006, 07:00 AM
Maaco went out of business here in Augusta ga.. they outdid themselves, doing some great slick jobs, then everybody that came in wanted the same slick cheapo job even though the cars need stripped and other work done. I bragged on Maaco on a post awhile back, I dont know how other stores are doing now.

newaccorddriver
10-05-2006, 03:59 PM
no, i meant the im. i know the engine is an a20. but where's the im from?

its a B18 manifold, soon to be mated to a mustang TB. if i wanted, i could easily switch to the B16 intake manifold i have as well.

newaccorddriver
10-05-2006, 04:00 PM
i can get u some pics to show u what im talking bout if u want.

please do:)

RamThis
10-05-2006, 10:18 PM
He'll eventually have some pics of my paint on his car too :rockon: