PDA

View Full Version : brake & wheel update

79cord
10-05-2006, 12:15 AM
For any one who's interested here's a link to my 1979 Accord's wheel & brake upgrade -on the 3rd page:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2051977/3
Basically my Accord was due for new tyres and the frt disc's were worn waaay undersize, which involves separating & replacing the frt wheelbearings. So I decided to investigate improving the original brakes and switching the wheels stud pattern to the 4x100 PCD used by the majority of later Hondas untill recently, so that I could get some larger 14" wheels for it for less than the value of the car...
The brakes are now up to 3rd gen Accord spec with 4 wheel disc's, through the use of 2nd gen Prelude & 4th gen Civic DOHC parts, although I'm sure these would be shared with a number of other Honda's.

MessyHonda
10-05-2006, 07:43 AM
:welcome: to 3geez you got some rare cars. the link should be a sticky

Ichiban
10-05-2006, 03:17 PM
To answer your question, no. The 84-85 front crossmember is too wide for even the 82-83 cars, let alone the 76-81. Too bad or it would make engine swaps too easy.

2ndGenGuy
10-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Woah nice job man! Sweet cars too! Another early Accord pioneer!

Hazwan
10-05-2006, 07:11 PM
To answer your question, no. The 84-85 front crossmember is too wide for even the 82-83 cars, let alone the 76-81. Too bad or it would make engine swaps too easy.

I don't know how they swap in modern engines here in Malaysia, I never seen them in person but then I guess they are doable. I'll try to ask them.

I've seen a pic somewhere in the internet where they trimmed the front crossmember.

smufguy
10-07-2006, 04:08 AM
thats some nice work buddy. Have fun on this forum, i read your write up and it seems pretty thorough.

carotman
10-12-2006, 01:08 PM
Nice work you have done there!

79cord
10-12-2006, 07:19 PM
Anyone know if I could have used a lighter rear disc setup? The Prelude disc's weighed nearly a kilo more than my original drums! Unsprung weight undesirable.
I was wondering about later Honda 'floating' rear disc's on a separate hub - the 2nd gen Prelude incorporates it's wheel bearing surfaces into the Disc rotor. If these were lighter . ??.... 3rd gen Accord/Prelude early Integra seem most plausable.
I know later hub's became a sealed unit with their bearings, but i don't know how desirable that is cost wise.

79cord
11-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Do you think I should drag more info over from there directly into this thread?
I've also noticed the CRX si calipers I used share their brake pads with 3rd gen Prelude; though Preludes have more space from disc rotor to caliper mtg so their calipers might not need the washers I used to space out the CRX calipers.
The CRX discs are also shared with other 4g Civic & 1g Integra.
Still haven't tried 1g Prelude rear drums for fit but curious.